- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Expression and Clinical Significance of STAT3, P-STAT3, and VEGF-C in Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Zhao, Xue (Department of Respiratory Physicians, the Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Sun, Xian (Department of Respiratory Physicians, the Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Li, Xiao-Li (Department of Respiratory Physicians, the Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objective: To determine STAT3, P-STAT3, and VEGF-C expression levels in small cell lung cancers (SCLCs), and discuss their role and clinical significance in SCLC development. Method: Immunohistochemical methods were applied to 128 cases of SCLC and 40 cases of adjacent normal tissue. Results: The expression levels of STAT3, P-STAT3, and VEGF-C were higher in SCLC than in normal tissue (P<0.05). Pairwise comparisons showed positive correlations with lymph node metastasis, clinical stage, and tumor size (P<0.05). The expression levels were also related with the overall survival rates. Conclusion: STAT3 and VEGF-C play important roles in the development of SCLC, and might be expected to become new targets for SCLC treatment.
- Al Zaid Siddiquee K, Turkson J (2008). STAT3 as a target for inducing apoptosis in solid and hematological tumors. Cell Res, 18, 254-67. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2008.18
- Bai LZ, Jiang ZL, Piao W, Wang L, Liu CQ (2005). Vascular endothelial growth factor C expression in lung cancer. Phys Educ Mag, 28, 21-3.
- Barbieri I, Pensa S, Pannellini T, et al (2010). Constitutively active Stat3 enhances neu-mediated migration and metastasis in mammary tumors via upregulation of Cten. Cancer Res, 70, 2558-67. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-2840
- Bromberg J (2002). Stat proteins and oncogenesis. J Clin Invest, 109, 1139-42. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI0215617
- Felip E, Pavlidis N, Stahel RA (2005). ESMO m in imum clinical recomm endations for diagnos is, treatment and follow-up of small-cell lung cancer (SCLC). Ann Oncol, 16, 30-1.
- Fu XY, Schindler C, Improta T, Aebersold R, Darnell JE Jr (1992). The proteins of ISGF-3, the interferon alpha-induced transcriptional activator, define a gene family involved in signal transduction. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA, 89, 7840-3. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.89.16.7840
- Garcia R, Bowman TL, Niu G, et al (2001). Constitutive activation of Stat3 by the Src and JAK tyrosine kinases participates in growth regulation of human breast carcinoma cells. Oncogene, 20, 2499-513. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1204349
- Govindan R, Page N, Morgensztern D, et al (2006). C hanging epidemio logy of small cell lung cancer in the United States over the last 30 years: analysis of the surveillance, epidemiologic, and end results database. J Clin Oncol, 24, 4539-44. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.4859
- Huang B, Zhou HL, Yang CL (2008). STAT3 gene siRNA carrier construction and its influence to small cell lung cancer. Shandong Med J, 48, 24-6.
- Joukov V, Pajusola K, Kaipainen A, et al (1996). A novel vascular endothelial growth factor, VEGF-C, is a ligand for the Flt4 (VGEFR-3) and KDR (VGEFR-2) receptor tyrosine kinases. EMBO J, 15, 290-8.
- Li GH, Wei H, Lv SQ, Ji H, Wang DL (2010). Knockdown of STAT3 expression by RNAi suppresses growth and induces apoptosis and differentiation in glioblastoma stem cells. Int J Oncol, 37, 103-110.
- Li XL, Wang X, Zhou JH, Zhang AL (2011). STAT3 and MMP-2 expression in cervical carcinoma and its significance. Med J Qilu, 26, 298-300.
- Liu J, Feng XQ, Wang JH (2011). STAT3 signaling pathway and tumor molecular targeted cancer therapy progress. Chin J Nervous Mental Dis, 37, 442-5.
- Niu G, Wright KL, Huang M, et al (2002). Constitutive Stat3 activity up-regulates VEGF expression and tumor angiogenesis. Oncogene, 21, 2000-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205260
- Ran FM, Wei WL, Hu HY (2011). Research progress of the STAT3 signaling pathway and malignant tumor invasion and metastasis, and treatment. Chin J Lung Cancer, 17, 844-7.
- Song L, Turkson J, Karras JG, Jove R, Haura EB (2003). Activation of STAT-3 by receptor tyrosine kinases and cytokines regulates survival in human non-small cell carcinoma cells. Oncogene, 22, 4150-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206479
- Wang M, Chen GY, Song HT (2011). Significance of CXCR4, phosphorylated STAT3 and VEGF-A expression in resected non-small cell lung cancer. Experimental Therapeutic Med, 2, 517-522.
- Xie TX, Huang FJ, Aldape KD, et al (2006). Activation of stat3 in human melanoma promotes brain metastasis. Cancer Res, 66, 3188-96. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-2674
- Xie TX, Wei D, Liu M, et al (2004). Stat3 activation regulates the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tumor invasion and metastasis. Oncogene, 23, 3550-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207383
- Xu Q, Briggs J, Park S, et al (2005). Targeting Stat3 blocks both HIF-1 and VEGF expression induced by multiple oncogenic growth signaling pathways. Oncogene, 25, 5552-60.
- Xu WC, Luo CL, Feng WL, Lin X (2003). Expression and clinical significance of signal transducers and activators of transcriptions 3 in non small cell lung cancers. Chin J Clin Lab Sci, 21, 23-4.
- Yu H, Jove R (2004). The STATs of cancer - new molecular targets come of age. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 97-105. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1275
- Zhang XQ, Jia XY, Fang GY, et al (2010). p-STAT3 expression in gastric carcinoma and its significance. Modern Chin Med, 12, 1-3.
- STAT3, a Poor Survival Predicator, Is Associated with Lymph Node Metastasis from Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.1.40
- STAT3 is associated with lymph node metastasis in gastric cancer vol.34, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0837-5
- Serum neuron-specific enolase levels were associated with the prognosis of small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis vol.34, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0896-7
- Luteolin Arrests Cell Cycling, Induces Apoptosis and Inhibits the JAK/STAT3 Pathway in Human Cholangiocarcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5071
- Radiation Induces Phosphorylation of STAT3 in a Dose- and Time-dependent Manner vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6161
- Timing of Thoracic Radiotherapy in Limited Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer: Results of Early Versus Late Irradiation from a Single Institution in Turkey vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6263
- Apoptotic Effects of psiRNA-STAT3 on 4T1 Breast Cancer Cells in Vitro vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6977
- S-Phase Cell Cycle Arrest, Apoptosis, and Molecular Mechanisms of Aplasia Ras homolog Member I–Induced Human Ovarian Cancer SKOV3 Cell Lines vol.24, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000105
- Assessing the Role of STAT3 in DC Differentiation and Autologous DC Immunotherapy in Mouse Models of GBM vol.9, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096318
- Induction of Murine Macrophage M2 Polarization by Cigarette Smoke Extract via the JAK2/STAT3 Pathway vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107063
- Role of a polyphenol-enriched preparation on chemoprevention of mammary carcinoma through cancer stem cells and inflammatory pathways modulation vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-016-0770-7
- The Anti-Cancer Effect of Polyphenols against Breast Cancer and Cancer Stem Cells: Molecular Mechanisms vol.8, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8090581
- Correlation between p-STAT3 overexpression and prognosis in lung cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis vol.12, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182282
- Antitumor and radiosensitizing synergistic effects of apigenin and cryptotanshinone against solid Ehrlich carcinoma in female mice vol.39, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317728480
- Correlation of the expressions of IGF1R-RACK1-STAT3 and Bcl-xl in nasopharyngeal carcinoma with the clinicopathological features and prognosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma pp.07302312, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.26354
- Phosphorylation of STAT3 Promotes Vasculogenic Mimicry by Inducing Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition in Colorectal Cancer pp.1533-0338, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1533034617742312