- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
HER2/neu Expression in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients is not Significantly Elevated
- Sardari, Yasaman ;
- Pardis, Soheil ;
- Tadbir, Azadeh Andisheh ;
- Ashraf, Mohammad Javad ;
- Fattahi, Mohammad Javad ;
- Ebrahimi, Hooman ;
- Purshahidi, Sara ;
- Khademi, Bijan ;
- Hamzavi, Marzieh
- Published : 2012.06.30
Background: HER2/neu, a member of EGFR family, is over expressed in some tumors. The purpose of this study was to determine the salivary level and tissue expression of HER2/neu in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) and any correlation with clinicopathologic parameters. Methods: An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) was used to evaluate the salivary level and immunohistochemistry (IHC) to assess tissue expression of HER2/neu in 28 patients with HNSCC and 25 healthy controls. Results: The salivary levels of HER2/neu in HNSCC patients was not significantly higher than in the healthy controls (p>0.005). There was no apparent correlation in salivary HER2/neu level with clinicopathological features such as age, sex, grade, tumor size and nodal status. All HNSCC specimens were positive (membranous or/and cytoplasmic) for HER2/neu, except one sample. Only one HNSCC specimen was stained in cytoplasm purely. All control specimens were membranous and cytoplasmic positive for HER2/neu. There was a significant difference between cytoplasmic staining in case and control groups (p-value<0.05). Conclusion: In our cases, no overexpression of HER2/neu was observed. Thus, our findings suggested that the use of Her-2 as a salivary marker of HNSCC cannot be recommended.
HER2/neu;salivary level;tissue expression;head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
- Albanell J, Codony-Servat J, Rojo F (2001). Activated extracellular signal-regulated kinases: association with epidermal growth factor receptor/transforming growth factor expression in head and neck squamous carcinoma and Inhibition by anti-epidermal growth factor receptor treatments. Cancer Res, 61, 6500-10.
- Albuquerque RL, Miguel MC, Costa AL, Souza LB (2003). Correlation of c-erbB-2 and S-100 expression with the malignancy grading and anatomical site in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Exp Pathol, 84, 259-65.
- Angiero F, Del Sordo R, Dessy E, et al (2008). Comparative analysis of c-erbB-2 (HER-2 ⁄neu) in squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue: does over-expression exist? And what is its correlation with traditional diagnostic parameters? J Oral Pathol Med, 37, 145-50.
- Anthony SF, Euqene B, Dennis LK, et al (2008). Harrison's principles of internal medicine. 17th edition; Mc Graw-Hill: 2008, p.548-551.
- Arteaga CL (2002). Epidermal growth factor receptor dependence in human tumors: more than just expression? The Oncologist, 7, 31-9 https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.7-suppl_4-31
- Bei R, Budillon A, Masuelli L, et al (2004). Frequent overexpression of multiple ErbB receptors by head and neck squamous cell carcinoma contrasts with rare antibody immunity in patients. J Pathol, 204, 317-25 https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1642
- Bernardes VF, Gleber-Netto FO, Sousa SF, et al (2010). Clinical significance of EGFR, Her-2 and EGF in oral squamous cell carcinoma: a case control study. J Experimental & Clinical Cancer Res, 29, 40-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-29-40
- Breuer B, Smith S, Thor A (1998). ErbB-2 protein in sera and tumors of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 49, 261-70. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006033214721
- Camp ER, Summy J, Bauer TW, et al (2005). Molecular mechanisms of resistence to therapies targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 397-405.
- Cavalot A, Martone T, Roggero N, et al (2007). Prognostic impact of HER-2/neu expression on squamous cell head and neck carcinomas. Head Neck, 29, 655-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.20574
- Ciardiello F, Tortora G (2001). A novel approach in the treatment of cancer: targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor. Clin Cancer Res, 7, 2958-70.
- Craven JM, Pavelic ZP, Stambrook PJ (1992). Expression of c-erbB-2 gene in human head and neck carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 12, 2273-6.
- Crombet T, Osorio M, Cruz T (2004). Use of the humanized anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody h-R3 in combination with radiotherapy in the treatment of locally advanced head and neck cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 22, 1646-54. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.03.089
- Ekberg T, Nestor M, Engstrom M, et al (2005). Expression of EGFR, HER2, HER3, and HER4 in metastatic squamous cell carcinomas of the oral cavity and base of tongue. Int J Oncol, 26, 1177-85
- Field JK, Spandidos DA, Yiagnisis M, et al (1992). C-erbB-2 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Anticancer Responsibility, 12, 13-616.
- Fong Y, Chou SJ, Hung KF, Wu HT, Kao SYJ (2008). An investigation of the differential expression of Her2/neu gene expression in normal oral mucosa, epithelial dysplasia, and oral squamous cell carcinoma in Taiwan. Chin Med Assoc, 71, 123-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1726-4901(08)70003-0
- Hoffmann TK, Ballo H, Braunstein S, et al (2001). Serum level and tissue expression of c-erbB-1 and c-erbB-2 protooncogene products in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Oral Oncol, 37, 50-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(00)00056-7
- Hsu CY, Ho DM, Yang CF, et al (2002). Interobserver reproducibility of HER-2 ⁄ neu protein overexpression in invasive breast carcinoma using DAKO HercepTest. Am J Clin Pathol, 118, 693-8. https://doi.org/10.1309/6ANB-QXCF-EHKC-7UC7
- Ibrahim SO, Vasstrand EN, Liavaag PG (1997). Expression of cerbB proto-oncogene family members in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Anticancer Res, 17, 4539-46.
- Kaufman E, Lamster IB (2002). The diagnostic applications of saliva-a review. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med, 13, 197-212. https://doi.org/10.1177/154411130201300209
- Kearsley JH, Leonard JH, Walsh MD (1991). A comparison of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and c-erbB-2 oncogene expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Pathology, 23, 189-94. https://doi.org/10.3109/00313029109063564
- Khademi B, Shirazi FM, Vasei M, et al (2002). The expression of p53, c-erbB-1 and cerbB-2 molecules and their correlation with prognostic markers in patients with head and neck tumors. Cancer Lett, 184, 223-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(02)00242-2
- Kuropkat C, Venkatesan TK, Caldarelli DD (2002). Abnormalities of molecular regulators of proliferation and apoptosis in carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynx. Auris Nasus Larynx, 29, 165-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0385-8146(01)00129-8
- Lawrence HP (2002). Salivary markers of systemic disease: noninvasive diagnosis of disease and monitoring of general health. J Can Dent Assoc, 8, 170-4.
- Lebeau A, Delming D, Kaltz C (2001). HER2/neu analysis ion archival tissue samples of human breast cancer. comparison of immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization. J Clin Oncol, 19, 354-63.
- Mandel ID (1993). Salivary diagnosis: promises, promises. Ann NY Acad Sci, 694, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1993.tb18336.x
- Mort Tefler MR, Shepherd JP (1993). Psychological distress in patients attending an oncology clinic after definitive treatment for maxillofacial malignant neoplasia. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 22, 347-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(05)80664-2
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine (NDBI) official site. http:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ErbB2
- Patel SG, Shah JP (2005). TNM staging of cancers of the head and neck: striving for uniformity among diversity. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 242-58 https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.4.242
- Quon H, Liu FF, Cummings BJ (2001). Potential molecular prognostic markers in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Head Neck, 23, 147-59. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0347(200102)23:2<147::AID-HED1010>3.0.CO;2-#
- Radpour R, Barekati Z, Kohler C, Holzgreve W, Zhong XY (2009). New trends in molecular biomarker discovery for breast cancer. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers, 13, 565-71. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2009.0060
- Rautava J, Jee KJ, Miettinen PJ (2008). ERBB receptors in developing, dysplastic and malignant oral epithelia. Oral Oncol, 44, 227-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.02.012
- Reviere A, Becker J, Loning T (1991). Comparative investigation of c-erbB-2/neu expression in head and neck tumors and mammary cancer. Cancer, 67, 2142-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910415)67:8<2142::AID-CNCR2820670823>3.0.CO;2-8
- Salem M, Kinoshita Y, Tajiri T, et al (2006). Association between the HER2 expression and histological differentiation in Wilms tumors. Pediatr Surg Int, 22, 891-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-006-1762-0
- Schechler A L, Hung M C, Vaidyanathan L, Weinberg R A (1985). The neu gene: an erbB-homologous gene distinct from and unlinked to the gene encoding the EGF receptor. Science, 229, 976-8. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2992090
- Semba K, Kamata N, Toyoshima K (1985). A v-erbB related protooncogene, c-erbB-2, is distinct from the c-erbB-1/ epidermal growth factor-receptor gene and is amplified in a human salivary gland carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 82, 6497-501. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.82.19.6497
- Seifi S, Shafaei Sh, Nosrati K, Ariaeifar B (2009). Lack of Elevated HER2/neu Expression in Epithelial Dysplasia and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 661-4
- Shiga H, Rasmussen AA, Johnston PG (2000). Prognostic value of c-erbB2 and other markers in patients treated with chemotherapy for recurrent head and neck cancer. Head Neck, 22, 599-608. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0347(200009)22:6<599::AID-HED9>3.0.CO;2-M
- Silvaa SD, Agostinia M, Nishimotob IN, et al (2004). Expression of fatty acid synthase, ErbB2 and Ki-67 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. A clinicopathological study. Oral Oncology, 40, 688-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2004.01.004
- Soulieres D, Senzer NN, Vokes EE, et al (2004). Multicenter phase II study of erlotinib, an oral epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol, 22, 77-85.
- Streckfus CF, Bigler LR. Saliva as a diagnostic fluid. Oral Dis, 8, 69-76.
- Streckfus CF, Dubinsky WP (2007). Proteomic analysis of saliva for cancer diagnosis. Expert Rev Proteomics, 4, 329-32. https://doi.org/10.1586/147894126.96.36.1999
- Sugano S, Mukai K, Tsuda (1992). Immunohistochemical study of c-erbB-2 oncoprotein overexpression in human major salivary gland carcinoma: an indicator of aggressiveness. Laryngoscope, 102, 923-7. https://doi.org/10.1288/00005537-199208000-00013
- Thomas GR, Nadiminti H, Regalado J (2005). Molecular predictors of clinical outcome in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, 86, 347-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0959-9673.2005.00447.x
- Tse GM, Yu KH, Chan AW, et al (2009). HER2 expression predicts improved survival in patients with cervical node-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 141, 467-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2009.06.747
- Weinstein GS, Nuamah IF, Tucker J, et al=. Evaluation of HER-2/ neu (c-erbB-2) oncogene expression in whole organ sections of supraglottic squamous cell carcinoma. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 105, 275-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348949610500406
- Werkmeister R, Brandt B, Joos U (2000). Clinical relevance of erbB-1 and -2 oncogenes in oral carcinomas. Oral Oncol, 36, 100-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(99)00069-X
- Wilkman TS, Hietanen JH, Malmström MJ, Konttinen YT (1998). Immunohistochemical analysis of the oncoprotein c-erbB-2 expression in oral benign and malignant lesions, Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 27, 209-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(98)80012-X
- Woodburn JR (1999). The epidermal growth factor receptor and its inhibition in cancer therapy. Pharmacol Ther, 82, 241-50 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7258(98)00045-X
- W Xia, Y K Lau, H Z Zhang (1997). Strong correlation between c-erbB-2 overexpression and overall survival of patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 3, 3-9.
- Xia W, Lau YK, Zhang HZ (1999). Combination of EGFR, HER- 2/neu, and HER-3 is a stronger predictor for the outcome of oral squamous cell carcinoma than any individual family members. Clin Cancer Res, 5, 4164-74.
- New formulated "DOX-MTX-loaded Nanoparticles" Down-regulate HER2 Gene Expression and Improve the Clinical Outcome in OSCCs Model in Rat: the Effect of IV and Oral Modalities vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9355
- Her2 expression and gene amplification is rarely detectable in patients with oral squamous cell carcinomas vol.43, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12173