- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Therapeutic Profile of T11TS vs. T11TS+MiADMSA: A Hunt for a More Effective Therapeutic Regimen for Arsenic Exposure
- Chaudhuri, Suhnrita ;
- Acharya, Sagar ;
- Chatterjee, Sirshendu ;
- Kumar, Pankaj ;
- Singh, Manoj Kumar ;
- Bhattacharya, Debanjan ;
- Basu, Anjan Kumar ;
- Dasgupta, Shyamal ;
- Flora, S.J.S. ;
- Chaudhuri, Swapna
- Published : 2012.06.30
Arsenic exposure is a serious health hazard worldwide. We have previously established that it may result in immune suppression by upregulating Th2 cytokines while downregulating Th1 cytokines and causing lymphocytic death. Treatment modalities for arsenic poisoning have mainly been restricted to the use of chelating agents in the past. Only recently have combination therapies using a chelating agent in conjunction with other compounds such as anti-oxidants, micronutrients and various plant products, been introduced. In the present study, we used T11TS, a novel immune potentiating glycopeptide alone and in combination with the sulfhydryl-containing chelator, mono-iso-amyl-dimarcaptosuccinic acid (MiADMSA) as a therapeutic regimen to combat arsenic toxicity in a mouse model. Results indicated that Th1 cytokines such as TNF-
- Acharya S, Chaudhuri S, Chatterjee S, et al (2010). Immunological profile of arsenic toxicity: a hint towards arsenic-induced carcinogenesis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 479-90.
- Acharya S, Chatterjee S, Kumar P, et al (2010). Induction of G1 arrest in glioma cells by T11TS is associated with upregulation of Cip1/Kip1 and concurrent downregulation of cyclin D (1 and 3). Anti-Cancer Drugs, 21, 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e32833276e8
- Antonsson B, Montessuit S, Lauper S, Eskes R, Martinou JC (2000). Bax oligomerization is required for channel forming activity in liposomes and to trigger cytochrome c release from mitochondria. Biochem J, 345, 271-8. https://doi.org/10.1042/0264-6021:3450271
- Bhattacharjee M, Acharya S, Ghosh A, et al (2008). Bax and Bid act in synergy to bring about T11TS mediated glioma apoptosis via the release of mitochondrial cytochrome c and subsequent caspase activation. Int Immunol, 20, 1489-505. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/dxn109
- Borner C. The Bcl-2 protein family: sensors and checkpoints for life-or-death decisions (2003). Mol Immunol, 39, 615-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-5890(02)00252-3
- Chaudhuri S and Ghosh A (2006). Glioma Therapy: A novel insight in the Immunothrapeutic regime with T11TS/SLFA- 3. CNS Agents Medicinal Chem, 6, 245-70.
- Debatin KM, Krammer PH (2004). Death receptors in chemotherapy and cancer. Oncogene, 23, 2950-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207558
- Dranoff G (2004). Cytokines in cancer pathogenesis and Cancer therapy. Nature Rev Canc, 4, 411-22.
- Finucane DM, Bossy-Wetzel E, Waterhouse NJ, Cotter TG, Green DG (1999). Bax-induced Caspase Activation and Apoptosis via Cytochrome c Release from Mitochondria. Inhibitable by Bcl-xL. J Biol Chem, 274, 2225-33. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.4.2225
- Flora SJS, Bhadauria S, Kannan GM, Singh N (2007). Arsenic induced oxidative stress and the role of antioxidant supplementation during chelation: A review. J Environ Biol, 28, 333-47.
- Ghosh A, Bhattacharya M, Sarkar P, Acharya S, Chaudhuri S (2010). T11 target structure exerts effector function by activating immune cells in CNS against glioma where cytokine modulation provide favorable microenvironment. Ind J Exp Biol, 48, 879-88.
- Nayak AS, Lage CR Kim CH (2007). Effects of Low Concentrations of Arsenic on the Innate Immune System of the Zebrafish (Danio Rerio). Toxicol Sci, 98, 118-24. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfm072
- Kaalia K, Flora SJS (2005). Strategies for Safe and Effective Treatment for Chronic Arsenic and Lead Poisoning. J Occup Health, 47, 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.47.1
- Hilbert DM, Kopf M, Mock BA, Kohler G and Rudikoff S (1995). Interleukin 6 is essential for in vivo development of B lineage neoplasms. J Exp Med, 182, 243-8. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.182.1.243
- Hunig T, Teifenthaler G, Mitnacht R, et al (1987). The "erythrocyte receptor" of T lymphocytes and T11 target structure (T11TS): Complementary cell interaction molecules involved in T cell activation. Behring Inst Mitt, 81, 31-40.
- Kannan GM, Flora SJS (2004). Chronic arsenic poisoning in the rat: treatment with combined administration of succimers and an antioxidant. Ecotoxicol Environ Safety, 58, 37-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0147-6513(03)00096-4
- Modi M, Mittal M, Flora SJS (2007). Combined administration of selenium and meso-2, 3-dimercaptosuccinic acid on arsenic mobilization and tissue oxidative stress in chronic arsenic-exposed male rats. Ind J Pharmacol, 39, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.32530
- Liotta LA, Kohn EC (2001). The microenvironment of the tumour-host interface. Nature, 411, 375-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/35077241
- Mukherjee J, Dutta S, Sarkar S et al (2002). Preclinical changes in immunoreactivity and cellular architechture during the progressive development of intracranial neoplasms and an immunotherapeutic schedule with a novel biological response modifier, the T11TS/ S-LFA-3. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 325-37.
- Paul WE (1989). Pleiotropy and redundancy: T cell-derived lymphokines in the immune response. Cell, 57, 521-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(89)90121-9
- Penn I (1994). Depressed immunity and the development of cancer. Cancer Detect Prev, 18, 241-52.
- Sabel MS, Arora A, Su G, et al (2007). Synergistic effect of intratumoral IL-12 and TNF-alpha microspheres: systemic anti-tumor immunity is mediated by both CD8+CTL and NK cells. Surgery, 142, 749-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2007.05.008
- Saini KS, Walker NI (1998). Biochemical and molecular mechanisms regulating apoptosis. Mol Cell Biochem, 178, 9-25. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006891430596
- Sarkar S, Ghosh A, Mukherjee J, Chaudhuri S and Chaudhuri S (2004). CD2-SLFA3/T11TS interaction facilitates immune activation and glioma regression by apoptosis. Canc Biol Ther, 3, 1121-8. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.3.11.1214
- Schmitz I., Meyer C, Schulze-Osthoff K (2006). CD95 ligand mediates T-cell receptor-induced apoptosis of a CD4+ CD8+ double positive thymic lymphoma. Oncogene, 25, 7587-96. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209741
- T11TS repress gliomagenic apoptosis of bone marrow hematopoietic stem cells vol.233, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.25874