- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Monoclonal Antibodies against Human Stathmin Combined with Paclitaxel on Proliferation of the QG-56 Human Lung Carcinoma Cell Line
- Yuan, Shao-Fei (Cancer Center, Third Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College) ;
- Chen, Wen-Jun (Cancer Center, Third Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College) ;
- Zhu, Lin-Jia (Cancer Center, Third Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College) ;
- Zheng, Wei-E. (Cancer Center, Third Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College) ;
- Chen, Hua (Cancer Center, Third Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College) ;
- Xiong, Jian-Ping (Cancer Center, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang Universituy)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objective: To explore whether monoclonal antibodies against stathmin and the chemotherapuetic agent paclitaxel have synergenic effects in inhibiting growth and inducing apoptosis in human QG-56 cells. Methods: QG-56 cells were treated with monoclonal antibodies against stathmin or paclitaxel alone or in combination, with untreated cells used as controls. After 24, 48, 72 and 96 hours the cell growth condition was observed under an inverted microscope and inhibition was studied by MTT assay; apoptosis was analyzed by flow cytometry. Results: The populations decreased and cell shape and size changed after the various treatments. Monoclonal antibodies against stathmin and paclitaxel used alone or incombination inhibited the proliferation of QG-56 cells, especially in combination with synergism (P<0.05). Combined treatment also resulted in a significantly higher apoptosis rate than in the other groups (P<0.05). Conclusions: Monoclonal antibodies against stathmin and paclitaxel used alone or in combination can inhibit proliferation of QG-56 cells and induce apoptosis when applied together. The observed synergistic effects may have important implications for clinical application.
- Alli E, Bash Balmla J, Yang JM, et a1 (2002). Effect ot stathmin on the sensitivity to antimierotubule drugs in human breast cancer. Cancer Res, 62, 6864-9.
- Balachandran R, Welsh MJ, Day BW (2003). Ahered levels and regulation of stathmin in paclitaxel resistant ovarian cancer cells. Oncogene, 22, 8924-30. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207060
- Flores ML, Castilla C, Avila R, et al (2011). Paclitaxel sensitivity of breast cancer cells requires efficient mitotic arrest and disruption of Bcl-xL/Bak interaction. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 133, 917-28.
- Hainsworth JD, Sosman JA, Spigel DR, et al (2004). Phase II trial of bevacizumab and erlotinib in patients with metastatic renal carcinoma (RCC). Pro Am Soc Clin Oncol, 22, 382.
- Hsieh SY, Huang SF, Yu MCto et al (2010). Stathmin overexpression associated with polyploidy, tumor-cell invasion, early recurrence, and poor prognosis in human hepatoma. Mol Carcinog, 49, 476-87.
- Jeon TY, Han ME, Lee YW, et al (2010). Overexpression of stathmin1 in the diffuse type of gastric cancer and its roles in proliferation and migration of gastric cancer cells. Br J Cancer, 102, 710-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605537
- Le XF, Mao W, He G, et al (2011). The role of p27(Kip1) in dasatinib-enhanced paclitaxel cytotoxicity in human ovarian cancer cells. J Natl Cancer Inst, 103, 1403- 22. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr280
- Lin WC, Chen SC, Hu FC, et al (2009). Expression of stathmin in localized upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma: correlations with prognosis. Urology Epub, 74, 1264-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2009.04.088
- Mistry SJ, Atweh GF (2002). Role of stathmin in the regulation of the mitotic spindle potential applications in cancer therapy. Mt Sinai J Med, 69, 299-304.
- Rubin CI, Atweh GF (2004). The role of stathmin in the regulation of the cell cycle. J Cell Biochem, 93, 242-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.20187
- Segmnlan B, Holmfehh P, Morabito J, et a1 (2003). Autonomous and Phosphoeylation responsive microtubule regulating activities of the N-terminus of Opl8/stathnfin. J Cell Sci, 116, 97-205.
- Su D, Smith SM, Preti M, et al (2009). Stathmin and tubulin expression and survival of ovarian cancer patients receiving platinum treatment with and without paclitaxel. Cancer, 115, 2453-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24282
- Tuschl T, Borkhardt A(2002). Small interfering RNAs:a revolutionary tool for the analysis of gene function and gene therapy. Mol Interv, 2, 158-67. https://doi.org/10.1124/mi.2.3.158
- Wang F, Wang LX, He W, et al (2010). Expression of stathmin in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and its biological significance. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 30, 1552- 7.
- Wang F, Wang LX, He W, et al (2010). Up-regulation of stathmin induces growth arrest of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma EC9706 cell. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, 90, 2140-4.
- Xi W, Rui W, Fang L, et al (2009). Expression of stathmin/op18 as a significant prognostic factor for cervical carcinoma patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 135, 837-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-008-0520-1
- Yu J, Lee HJ, Hue K, et al (2010). The antitumor effect of a thermosensitive polymeric hydrogel containing paclitaxel in a peritoneal caicinomatosis mode. Invest New Drugs, 9, 1-5.
- Zhang XT, Li LY, Wang SL, et al (2005). Treatment of nonsmall cell lung cancer with gefitinib. Chin J Tube Resp Dis, 28, 180-3.
- Zheng P, Liu YX, Chen L, et al (2010). Stathmin, a new target of PRL-3 identified by proteomic methods, plays a key role in progression and metastasis of colorectal cancer. J Proteome Res, 9, 4897-905. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr100712t
- Zhou SW, Yan LH, Reb SX, et al (2008). Clinical study on the efficacy and safety of erlotinib in treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Tumor, 28, 780-5.
- Correlation between microtubule-associated gene expression and chemosensitivity of patients with stage II non-small cell lung cancer vol.5, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2013.1007
- Stathmin is a Marker of Progression and Poor Prognosis in Esophageal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3613
- Stathmin-dependent molecular targeting therapy for malignant tumor: the latest 5 years’ discoveries and developments vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-016-1000-z
- High STMN1 level is associated with chemo-resistance and poor prognosis in gastric cancer patients vol.116, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2017.76
- Synergy of Taxol and rhein lysinate associated with the downregulation of ERK activation in lung carcinoma cells vol.6, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1398