- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Determination of Rock Abrasiveness using Cerchar Abrasiveness Test
세르샤 마모시험을 통한 암석의 마모도 측정에 관한 연구
- Lee, Su-Deuk (Seoul National University) ;
- Jung, Ho-Young (Seoul National University) ;
- Jeon, Seok-Won (Seoul National University)
- Received : 2012.08.21
- Accepted : 2012.08.24
- Published : 2012.08.31
Abrasiveness of rock plays an important role on the wear of rock cutting tools. In this study, Cerchar abrasiveness tests were carried out to assess the abrasiveness of 19 different Korean rocks. Cerchar abrasiveness test is widely used to assess the abrasiveness of rock because of its simplicity and inexpensive cost. This study examines the relationship between Cerchar Abrasiveness Index (CAI) and mechanical properties (uniaxial compressive strength, Brazilian tensile strength, Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, porosity, shore hardness of rock), and the effect of quartz content, equivalent quartz content, which was obtained from XRD analysis. As a result of test, CAI was more influenced by petrographical properties than by the bonding strength of the matrix material of rock. CAI prediction model which consisted of UCS and EQC was proposed. CAI decreased linearly with the hardness of the steel pin. Numerical analysis was performed using Autodyn-3D for simulating the Cerchar abrasiveness test. In the simulations, most of pin wear occurred during the initial scratching distance, and CAI increased with the increase of normal loading.
Grant : TBM 핵심 설계.부품기술 및 TBM 터널의 최적건설기술-1세부과제: TBM 커터헤드 최적 설계기술 및 고성능 디스크커터 개발
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- Jung, H.Y., Jeon, S., Cho, J.W., 2012, A study on punch penetration test for performance estimation of tunnel boring machine, Tunnel and underground space, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 144-156. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.2.144
- Al-Ameen, S.I., & Waller, M.D., 1994, The influence of rock strength and abrasive mineral content on the Cerchar abrasive index, Engineering Geology, Vol. 36, No. 3-4, pp. 293-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(94)90010-8
- ASTM D-7625-10, 2010, Standard test method for laboratory determination of abrasiveness of rock using the Cerchar method
- Atkinson, T., Cassapi, V., & Singh, R., 1986, Assessment of abrasive wear resistance potential in rock excavation machinery, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 151-163.
- Century Dynamics Inc., 2003, Autodyn Theory Manual, Concord, California
- Cho, J.W., Jeon, S., Yu, S.H., Chang, S.H., 2010, Optimum spacing of TBM disc cutters: A numerical simulation using the three-dimensional dynamic fracturing method, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 230-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2009.11.007
- Johnson, G.R., Cook, W.H., 1985, Fracture characteristics of three metals subjected to various strains, strain rates, temperatures and pressures, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 31-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(85)90052-9
- Rosiwal, A., 1896 Neue Untersuchungsergebnisse uber die Harte von Mineralien und Gesteinen. Verhandlg d kk geol R-A. Wien, pp. 475-491.
- Rostami, J., Ozdemir, L, Nilsen, B., 1996. Comparison between CSM and NTH hard rock TBM performance prediction models, Proceedings of Annual Technical Meeting of the Institute of Shaft Drilling and Technology, pp. 11.
- Thuro, K., Plinninger, R.J., 2003, Hard rock tunnel boring, cutting, drilling and blasting: rock parameters for excavatability, Proceedings of ISRM International Congress, Vol. 2, pp. 1227-1234.
- West, G., 1981, A review of rock abrasiveness testing for tunnelling, Proceedings of ISRM International Symposium, pp. 585-594.
- West, G., 1989, Rock abrasiveness testing for tunnelling, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 151-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(89)90003-X
- Wear Resistance of Four Rocks Using Rotary Abrasion Test in Dry and Wet Conditions vol.46, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20160550