- Volume 14 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effect of self-efficacy promotion of the smoking cessation program on the amount of smoking, carbon monoxide level, urine cotinine level and the smoking cessation self-efficacy of adolescent smokers. Methods: The subjects composed of 24 for the experimental group and 28 for the control group who were smoking adolescents at the Middle School in G city. The data collection was done from October 13 to November 18, 2010. A nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used. This program was composed on the basis of Shin (1997)'s Self-Efficacy Promoting Program. The self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program was conducted for 2 hours per week, and lasted for 6 weeks on the experimental group. The control group had a general smoking program. Data was analyzed using SPSS/WIN 14.0 program. T-test was used to analyze outcome measures. Results: The amount of smoking, CO level, urine cotinine level, and self efficacy level of the experimental group was significantly improved more than that of the control group after intervention. Conclusion: Therefore, self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program for adolescent smokers can be recommended for smoking cessation of adolescents.
- Choi, S. H. (2006). Stage of change in smoking cessation and barriers related to re-smok-ing a er coronary artery bypass gra surgery. Poster session presented at the Korean Society of Biological Nursing Society Conference for Scholarly Publishing, Seoul.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral science (2nd ed.). New Jersey, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- DiClemente, C. C., Prochaska, J. O., & Gibertini, M. (1985). Self-effcacy and stage of self-change of smoking. Cognitive erapy and Research, 9, 181-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01204849
- Jee, Y. J. (2008). The effeects of smoking cessation program using self -regulated learning strategy in middle-school boys. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- Kang, B. H. (2005). A study on education program for prohibiting smoking of teenager. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. J. (2001). The effect of smoking cessation program for self-ecacy promotion on the self- ecacy and smoking of smoker students in middle school. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- Kim, S. J. (1999). The effectiveness on the high school boys smoking behavior and psychosocial factors of the smoking cessation program based on transtheoretical model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. (2001). The development of school-based prevention program for adolescent smoking. Health Promotion Fund Research Report.
- Kim, Y. S., & Jeong, B. R. (2010). An analysis of articles related to smoking and smok-ing cessation of Korean adolescents. The Journal Korean Community Nursing, 21, 53-62. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.53
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health. (2008, September 19). 2009 Youth tobacco survey: Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved April 4, 2010, from http://www.kash.or.kr
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health. (2010, January 6). Smoking survey of 2010: Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved April 29, 2010, from http://www.kash.or.kr
- Lee, J. H., Kang, E. S., & Lee, Y. E. (2001). The effect of smoking self -efficacy promotion smoking cessation program for middle school students. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 12, 716-731.
- Lee, Y. J. (2004). 5&6 Smoking Cessation Program. Korean Association of Smoking & Health, Seoul.
- Lim, E. S. (2007). The effects of 5&6 smoking cessation program on adolescent's smoking behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Mathias, B. J. (2006). Youth smoking cessation- a healthy challenge. A meta-analysis. 13th World Conference on Tobacco or Health, Washington DC, USA.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2010). National smoking prevention & no smoking business.
- Oh, B. C. (2002). Related factors with the stage of change of smoking cessation in adolescent-Based on the transtheoretical model. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Pallonen, U. (2006). Knowing how to help tobacco users: Dentists' familiarity and compliance with the clinical practice guideline. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 137, 170-179. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2006.0141
- Park, M. K., Kang, K. S., & Kim, N. Y. (2007). Effects of smoking cessation program on amount of smoking and nicotine dependence and self-efficacy of smoking cessation for smoking workers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37, 1073-1079.
- Park, S. S. (2007). Validity of expired carbon monoxide and urine cotinine using dipstick method to assess smoking status. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Rhu, H. S. (2004). Eects of exercise-based smoking cessation program on the smoking behavior, psychosocial variables and weigh in high school girls. Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Ryu, K. H. (2001). The development and evaluation of program to aid adolescents in giving up smoking. Journal of Human Ecology, 6, 1-18.
- Shin, S. R. (1997). The study on the development of a self-regulatory ecacy promoting program and it's eect on adolescent smoking. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Woman's University, Seoul.
- Shin, Y. H. (2003). The Effect of anti-smoking program for girl's middle school smokers. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul.
- 1. The effectiveness of a Autonomous Regulation Improvement Smoking Cessation Program on the Amount of Daily Smoking, Perceived Motivation, Cotinine in Saliva, and Autonomous Regulation for Girls High School Students who Smoked vol.16, pp.9, 2015, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 2. Factors Influencing Nicotine Dependency among College Students Intending to Quit Smoking vol.20, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 3. Effects of a Strength Based I-Change Smoking Cessation Program for Smoking Middle School Boys vol.47, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 4. Efficacy of Smoking Cessation and Prevention Programs by Intervention Methods: A Systematic Review of Published Studies in Korean Journals during Recent 3 Years vol.30, pp.5, 2013, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 5. Effectiveness of the Self-determination Theory based a Motivational Interviewing YOU-TURN Program for Smoking Cessation among Adolescents vol.45, pp.3, 2015, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 6. Factors affecting Smoking Middle School Students' Intention to Quit Smoking: On the Basis of the ASE Model vol.24, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 7. Self-efficacy and Preparation of Smoking Cessation in Service and Sales Woman Smokers Working in Department Stores vol.25, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 8. An Analysis of the Characteristics and Preferences Related to a Smoking Cessation Program among Smoking College Students vol.15, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 9. The Relationships among Knowledge, Information Seeking Behavior, and Willingness for Education about Human Papillomavirus Vaccination in the Middle or High School Teachers vol.14, pp.4, 2012, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 10. The Effects of a Quit Smoking Program Using the Web and Short Message Service on Exhaled Carbon Monoxide, Self-efficacy and Depression according to Nicotine Dependency Level in Undergraduate Students vol.16, pp.3, 2014, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- 11. Structural Equation Modeling on Smoking Cessation Intention in Male Technical High School Students vol.47, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103