- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Self Management Behavior for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: Comparison of Difference between the Elderly and Adults
제2형 당뇨병 환자의 자기관리행위 예측 요인: 노인과 성인의 비교
- Received : 2012.06.19
- Accepted : 2012.07.23
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of self management behavior of patients with type 2 diabetes and to compare the factors influencing self management behavior between the elderly and adults. Methods: The participants consisted of 105 adults and 100 elderly who visited the outpatient department of a hospital from August to December 2011. Data was collected by questionnaires and analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 18.0. Results: The elderly showed higher mean scores of subcategory of self management behavior than adults. In stepwise multiple regression analysis, a total of 42% (adults), 52% (elderly) respectively of variance in self management behavior were accounted for by self-efficacy, perceived barriers, perceived benefits, yes or no smoking and regular exercise in adults and readiness, self efficacy, perceived benefits in the elderly. Conclusion: Therefore, a diabetics intervention program should be designed and provided as a tailored one for adults and elderly separately in Korea. In the strategy for adults with type 2 diabetes in the promotion of self efficacy, perceived benefits and reduction of perceived barriers, and correction of life habits such as smoking and exercise are needed, whereas in the elderly promotion of readiness, self efficacy, perceived benefits are required.
Self management;behavior;Diabetes mellitus;type 2;Elderly;Adult
- American Diabetes Association. (2010). Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2010. Diabetes Care, 33(Suppl 1), S11-S69. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-S011
- Cho, N. H. (2005). Prevalence of diabetes and management status in Korean population. Korean Journal of Medicine, 68, 1-3.
- Choi, E. J. (2007). Factors Related to Glycemic control in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yeonsei University, Seoul.
- Coulter, A., & Ellins, J. (2009). Changing attitudes to the role of patients in heath care. In S. Newman, L. Steed & k. Mulligan (Eds), Chronic physical illness: Self-management and behavioral interventions (pp. 27). NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Deakin, T., McShane, C. E., Cade, J. E., & Williams, R. D. (2005). Group based training for self management strategies in people with type 2 diabetes millitus. Cochrane Database Systemic Review, 2, CD003417.
- Funnell, M. M., Brown, T. L., Childs, B. P., Haas, L. B., Hosey, G. M., Jensen, B., et al. (2010). National standards for diabetes self management education. Diabetes Care, 33 (Suppl 1), S89-96. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-S089
- Gu, M. O. (1999). Self Care Behavior of Older adults with DM compared to Middle aged adults with DM. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 1, 137-148.
- Hazavehei, S. M., Sharifirad, G., & Mohabi, S. (2007). The effect of educational program based on health belief model on diabetic foot care. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries, 27, 18-23. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-3930.34753
- Kang, Y. S. (2011). Correlation between Hemoglobin A1C of Elderly Diabetic Patients, Self-Care Behavior and Life Satisfaction, Department of Nursing Graduate school of Life Sciences. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan, Busan.
- Kim, H. S. (2003). Fasting Blood Sugar and Adherence to Diabetes control recommendation: impact of education using short messaging service of cellular phone. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 5(2), 13-19.
- Kim, M. K. (2011). Factors Aecting the self- care behavior of elderly patients with diabetes. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2008). A Comparative Study of Physical and Psycho-social Issues of the adult and Elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung-Hee University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. O. (1997). A hypothesized model for self-care behavior in diabetic patients: based on stress-coping model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yeonsei University, Seoul.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. (2008). Developing the Framework of the National Health Plan 2020 of Korea. Retrived June. 1, 2012. from http://2010.hp.go.kr/hpPlan/hpPortalPds.dia?page=1&method=detailView&mnid=040401000000&PS_IDX_PARENT=152&PS_IDX=1&FID=152&searchWord=&searchKind=
- Korean Diabetes Association. (2011). Treatment Guideline for Diabetes.
- Korean National Statistics Office. (2010). Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics. Retrieved May 11, 2012. From http://kosis.kr/ups/ups_01List01.jsp? pub-code=YD.
- Kwon, J. W., Song, Y. M., Park, H. S., Sung, J., Kim, H., & Cho, S. I. (2008). Effects of age, Time period, and birth cohort on the prevalence of diabetes and obesity in korean men. Diabetes Care, 31, 255-260. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-s263
- Lee, J. K. (2009). Self management and Its predictors for patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 21, 447-457.
- Lee, Y. R., Kang, M. A., & Kim, P. G. (2008). The effects of an admission-education program on knowledge, self-ecacy, self-care and glucose control in tpye 2 diabetes patients. Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 14, 12-19. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.1.012
- McConnaughy, E. A., Prochaska, J. O., & Velicer, W. F. (1983). Stage of change in psy-chotherapy. Theory, Research and Practice, 20, 368-375. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0090198
- Miller, W. R. (2007). Enhancing motivation for change in substance abuse treatment (Cho & Sin, trans.). Seoul: Sigmapress. (Original work published 1999).
- Moon, J. S. (1990). Study of instrument development for health belief of Korean adults. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yeonsei University, Seoul.
- Mulcahy, K., Maryniuk, M., Peeples, M., Peyrot, M., Tomky, D., Weaver, T., et al. (2003). Diabetes self-management education core outcomes measures. Diabetes Education, 29, 768-770, 773-784, 787-788. https://doi.org/10.1177/014572170302900509
- Park, J. H., Kim, K. W., Kang, E. J., Kim, T. Y., Lee, S. R., Bae, S. C., et al. (2004). Evaluation of glycemic control in type 2 diabetics patients heve been treated in general hospital. Journal of Korean Diabetics Association, 28, 208-213.
- Park, J. Y. (2010). A study on self management, Hemoglobin A1c, and Perceived Health Status for the type II diabetes Patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 12, 106-113.
- Seo, H. M. (2001). Construction of health promoting behaviors model in elderly. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Song, M. S., Gu, M. O., Ryu, S. A., & Kim, M. S. (2002). Effect of a self-care program promoting self-ecacy for community elders with diabeties. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 4, 27-37.
- URICA. (2011).The HABITS lab at UMBC. Retrieved May, 10, 2011, from http://www.umbc.edu/psyc//habits/content/ttm_measures/urica/scoring.html
- Walker, S. N., Volkan, K., Sechrist, K. R., & Pender, N. J. (1988). Health-promoting life styles of older adults: Comparisons with young and middle-aged adults, correlates and patterns. Advanced Nursing Science, 11, 76-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198810000-00008
- Wild, S., Roglic, G., Green, A., Sicree, R., & King, H. (2004). Global prevalence of diabetes: Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care, 27, 1047-1053. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1047
- Relationships between Diabetic Knowledge, Self-Care Behaviors and HbA1c in Diabetic Patients using public hospitals vol.21, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.243
- The Effects of Elderly Diabetes Mellitus Patients' Self-care Behavior and Health Conservation on Cardiovascular Risk Factors vol.26, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.2.150
Supported by : 상지대학교