- Volume 15 Issue 1
The core issue of ethical problem solving in engineering is to understand what exactly happened and to define its nature. Problems often arise mostly in morally complex situations. Traditional philosophical theories usually focus on extreme conflicts of interest and suggest moral theory-centered problem solving methods. However, these methods are not only difficult to specifically apply to real situations, but also are likely to fail to deal with actual moral issues in engineering fields. This study aims to develop more desirable ethical problem solving methods, based on STS (Science and Technology Studies) and engineering ethics combined. First, we have examined the engineering ethics with implications of an STS perspective, then have analyzed traditional ethical problem solving methods in a critical point of view. This study will suggest a new ethical problem solving method named Matrix Guide, based upon those analyses. Specifically, this study classifies four stages of problem definition, analysis, solving, and feedback. Here, we focus on how to combine technological and non-technological factors in each stage, when we are facing morally complex situations in engineering sectors.
Ethical Problem Solving;Matrix Guide;Engineering ethics;STS;Conflict of Interests
- 송성수(2011). 과학기술과 사회의 접점을 찾아서. 한울아카데미.
- 김환석(2006). 과학사회학의 쟁점들. 문학과 지성사.
- 벡, 울리히(1986). 위험사회: 새로운 근대성을 향하여. 새물결.
- 한경희(2008). 공학학의 등장과 그 의미, 발전방향에 대한 탐색. 담론201, 11(1): 99-131.
- 한경희(2011). STS와 공학교육의 만남: 설계에서 윤리까지. 한국과학기술학회 전기학술대회 발표논문집.
- 홍성욱 ․ 이장규(2010). 공학기술과 사회. 지호.
- Bijker, W. E. and Hughes, T. P. and Trevor, T. J. (1987). The Social Construction of Technological Systems: New Directions in the Sociology and History of Technology. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Bijker, W. E. and Law, J. (1992). Shaping Technology/ Building Society: Studies in Sociotechnical Change. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Burdinger, F. B. and Burdinger, M. D.(2006). Ethics of Emerging Technologies. Wiley: John Wiley & Sons, INC.
- Coeckelbergh, M.(2006). Regulation or Responsibility?. Science, Technology, & Human Values 31(3): 237-260. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243905285839
- Davis, M.(1999). Ethics and the University. London and New York: Routledge.
- Harris, C. E.., M. S. Pritchard and M. J. Rabins(2005). Engineering Ethics, Concepts and Cases. 3rd ed., Belmont: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning. [국역: 김유신 외 옮김, 공학윤리, 북스힐, 2006]
- Johnson, D. G. & Wetmore, J. M. (2004). Engineering Ethics: Integrating STS and Practical Ethics. Annual Meeting of 4S. August.
- Johnson, M.(1993). Moral Imagination: Implications of Cognitive Science for Ethics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- MacKenzie, D. and Wajcman, J. (1985). The Social Shaping of Technology: How the Refrigerator got it Hum. Milton Keynes, UK: Open University Press.
- Martin, M. W. and Schinzinger, R.(1989). Ethics in Engineering. McGraw-Hill: New York.
- Poel, I. & Verbeek, P.(2006). Ethics and Engineering Design. Science, Technology, & Human Values 31(3):223-236. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243905285838
- Whitbeck, C.(1998). Ethics in Engineering Practice and Research. Cambridge University Press.
- Vaughan, D.(1996). The Challenger Launch Decision. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.