- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Plant Proteins Differently Affect Body Fat Reduction in High-fat Fed Rats
- Kim, Joo-Hee (Biofood Network, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Jung (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Yeon (Department of Food Science and Technology, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Mi-Kyung (Biofood Network, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kwon, O-Ran (Biofood Network, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2012.05.21
- Accepted : 2012.08.08
- Published : 2012.09.30
This study examined the effects of corn gluten (CG), wheat gluten (WG), and soybean protein isolate (SPI), as well as their hydrolysates, on weight reduction in rats fed a high-fat diet. Eight-month-old male Sprague-Dawley rats (n=70) were fed a high-fat diet (40% of the calories were fat) for 4 weeks. Rats were then randomly divided into seven groups and were fed isocaloric diets with different protein sources for 8 weeks. The protein sources were casein (control group), intact CG (CG group), CG hydrolysate (CGH group), intact WG (WG group), WG hydrolysate (WGH group), intact SPI (SPI group), and SPI hydrolysate (SPIH group). Body weight gain, adipose tissue weights, lipid profiles in plasma and liver; and hepatic activities of carnitine palmitoyl transferase, fatty acid synthase (FAS), malic enzyme, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase were assessed. The CGH group showed significant weight reduction compared with the other groups. Epididymal fat pad and plasma triglycerides in the CGH group were the lowest and were significantly different than those in the control group. FAS activity in the CGH group was significantly lower than that in the other groups. In conclusion, the CGH diet of these experimental animals demonstrated a weight-reducing effect by lowering the adipose tissue weight and by affecting the activities of hepatic lipogenic enzymes.
- Douglas PJ, Eric W, Richard D, Robert R, Margriet WP. 2008. Protein, weight management, and satiety. Am J Clin Nutr 87: 1558-1561. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/87.5.1558S
- Westerterp MS, Lejeune MP. 2005. Protein intake and body-weight regulation. Appetite 45: 187-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2005.02.005
- Tremblay F, Lavigne C, Jacques H, Marette A. 2007. Role of dietary proteins and amino acids in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance. Annu Rev Nutr 27: 293-310. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.25.050304.092545
- Aoyama T, Fukui K, Nakamori T, Hashimoto Y, Yamamoto T, Takamatsu K. 2000. Effect of soy and milk whey protein isolates and their hydrolysates on weight reduction in genetically obese mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64: 2594-2600. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.64.2594
- Lee HJ, Kim WL, Kim KH, Kim HK, Lee HJ. 2004. Antitumor activity of peptide fraction from traditional Korean soy sauce. J Microbiol Biotechnol 14: 628-630.
- Horiguchi N, Horiguchi H, Suzuki Y. 2005. Effect of wheat gluten hydrolysate on the immune system in healthy human subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69: 2445-2449. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.69.2445
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC. 1993. AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodents: Final report of the American Institute of Nutrition Ad Hoc writing committee on the reformulation of the AIN-76A rodent diet. J Nutr 123: 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- Woods SC, Seeley RJ, Rushing PA, D'Alessio D, Tso P. 2003. A controlled high-fat diet induces on obese syndrome in rats. J Nutr 133: 1081-1087. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.4.1081
- Markwell M, McGroarty EJ, Bieber LL, Tolbert NE. 1973. The subcellular distribution of carnitine acyltransferases in mammalian liver and kidney. J Biol Chem 248: 3426- 3432.
- Bieber LL, Markwell M. 1981. Peroximal and microsomal carnitine acetyltransferase. Methods in Enzymology 71: 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(81)71044-9
- Carl M, Nepokroeff MR, Lakshmanan JW. 1975. Fatty acid synthase from rat liver. Methods in Enzymology 35: 37-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(75)35136-7
- Geer BW, Krochko D, Oliver MJ, Walker VK, Williamson JH. 1980. A comparative study of the NADP-malic enzymes from drosophila and chick liver. Comp Biochem Physiol 65: 25-34.
- Noltmann EA, Gubler CJ, Kuby SA. 1961. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (Zwischenferment). I. Isolation of the crystalline enzyme from yeast. J Biol Chem 236: 1225- 1230.
- Hasegawa K, Larson JL, White WJ, Clifford CB. 2001. Baseline data comparing CD(SD) IGS rats supplied from Charles River Japan, Charles River UK and Charles River USA. CD(SD) IGS 9-18.
- The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2000. Handbook of experiments in food science and nutrition: Nutrition. Hyoil Press, Seoul. Korea. p 655-676.
- Aoyama T, Fukui K, Takamatsu K, Hashimoto Y, Yamamoto T. 2000. Soy protein isolate and its hydrolysate reduce body fat of dietary obese rats and genetically obese mice (yellow KK). Nutrition 16: 349-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(00)00230-6
- Kim J, Park J, Hong S, Kim MK. 2009. Effect of corn gluten and its hydrolysate consumptions on weight reduction in rats fed a high-fat diet. Nutr Res Pract 3: 200-207. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2009.3.3.200
- Lee HM, Chang UJ. 2001. Effect of corn peptide on the lipid metabolism in rats. Korean J Dietary Culture 16: 416-422.
- Layman DK. 2003. The role of leucine in weight loss diets and glucose homeostasis. J Nutr 133: 261-267. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.1.261S
- Layman DK, Walker DA. 2006. Potential importance of leucine in treatment of obesity and the metabolic syndrome. J Nutr 136: 319-323. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.1.319S
- Layman DK, Baum JI. 2004. Dietary protein impact on glycemic control during weight loss. J Nutr 134: 968-973. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/134.4.968S
- Park HJ, Lee EJ, Kim J, Kim JY, Kwon O, Kim MK. 2009. Effect of leucine intake on body weight reduction in rats fed high fat diet. Korean J Nutr 42: 714-722 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.8.714
- Bong HY, Kim JY, Jeong HI, Moon MS, Kim JH, Kwon O. 2010. Effects of corn gluten hydrolyzates, branched chain amino acids, and leucine on body weight reduction in obese rats induced by a high fat diet. Nutr Res Pract 4: 106-113. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.2.106
- Jung EY, Kang DH, Suh HJ, Chang UJ. 2009. Effects of yeast hydrolysate on neuropeptide Y (NPY) and tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH) immunoreactivity in rats. Phytother Res 23: 619-623. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2668