- Volume 41 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Study on Antioxidant Effects of Fractional Extracts from Ligularia stenocephala Leaves
곤달비(Ligularia stenocephala) 잎 분획물의 항산화활성 평가
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Dept. Of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Na-Young (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Jungbu University) ;
- Kim, Sung-Hwan (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Jungbu University) ;
- Han, In-Ae (Dept. Of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yook, Hong-Sun (Dept. Of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- 김경희 (충남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김나영 (중부대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김성환 (중부대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 한인애 (충남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 육홍선 (충남대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2012.05.08
- Accepted : 2012.06.18
- Published : 2012.09.30
Ligularia stenocephala leaves were subjected to extraction by using several solvents with different polarities, which were then investigated for their antioxidant and antimicrobial activities. Extraction yield of ethanol extract of Ligularia stenocephala was 21.36%. The water fraction showed the highest extraction yield of 60.35%, followed by the n-butanol, n-hexane, and ethyl acetate fractions. Total polyphenolic content was the highest (254.00 mg/g GAE) in the ethyl acetate fraction of Ligularia stenocephala extract. The ethyl acetate fraction had
- Choi J, Kim WB, Nam JH, Park HJ. 2007. Antidiabetic effect of the methanolic extract of Ligularia stenocephala leaves on the streptozotocin induced rat. Korean J Plant Res 20: 362-366.
- Kim TJ. 1996. Korean resources plants. The publishing center of Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. p 242-243.
- Roh EJ, Kim YS, Kim BG. 2009. Effect of antioxidation and inhibition of melanogenesis from Ligularia stenocephala extract. J Korean Oil Chemists' Soc 26: 87-92.
- Lee YH. 2000. Effect of Ligularia stenocephala extract on lipid metabolism and liver function of rat administered with ethanol. MS Thesis. Dong-A University, Busan, Korea.
- Roh EJ, Kim YS, Kim BG. 2009. Anti-wrinkle effect of Ligularia stenocephala. J Korean Oil Chemists' Soc 26: 186-190.
- Jung IC. 2006. Rheological properties of white bread supplemented with Ligularia stenocephala leaf powder and its sensory characteristics according to survey panel members. Korean J Food & Nutr 19: 207-218.
- Folin O, Denis W. 1912. On phospotungastic-phospho-molybdic compounds as color reagents. J Biol Chem 12: 239-249.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1198-1200.
- Pellegrin N, Roberta R, Min Y, Catherine RE. 1998. Screening of dietary carotenoids and carotenoid-rich fruit extract for antioxidant activities applying 2,2'-azinobis(3-ethyl-enbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical cation decolorization assay. Method Enzymol 299: 379-389.
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 230: 70-79.
- Sa JH, Jin YS, Shim IC, Wang MH. 2004. Photoprotective effect and antioxidative activity from different organs of Morcus bombycis Koidzumi. Kor J Pharmacogn 35: 207-214.
- Lee YM, Lee JJ, Lee MY. 2008. Antioxidative effect of Pimpinella brachycarpa ethanol extract. J Life Sci 18: 467-473. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.4.467
- Lee SH, Jin YS, Heo SH, Shim TH, Sa JH, Choi DS, Wang MH. 2006. Composition analysis and antioxidative activity from different argans of Cirsium setidens Nakai. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 571-576.
- Yu MH, Im HG, Lee HJ, Ji YJ, Lee IS. 2006. Components and their antioxidative activites of methanol extracts form asrcocarp and seed of Zizyphus jujuba var. inermis rehder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 128-134.
- Lee SO, Lee HJ, Yu MH, Im HG, Lee IS. 2005. Total polyphenol contents and antioxidant activities of methanol extracts from vegetables produced in Ullung island. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 233-240.
- Choi YM, Kim MH, Shin JJ, Park JM, Lee JS. 2003. The antioxidant activities of the some commercial teas. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 723-727. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.5.723
- Seo YH, Kim IJ, Yie AS, Min HK. 1999. Electron donating ability and contents of phenolic compounds, tocopherols and carotenoids in waxy corn (Zea mays L.). Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 581-585.
- Wang MF, Shao Y, Li JG, Zhu NQ, Rngarajan M, Lavoie EJ, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salivia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Choi SS, Yim DS, Lee SY. 2009. Radical scavenging activities and protective effects against oxidative damage to DNA of extracts from medicinal plants with known osteoprotective effects. Kor J Pharmacogn 40: 143-149.
- Lee SE, Kim YS, Kim JE, Bang JK, Seong NS. 2004. Antioxidant activity of Ulmus davidiana var. japonica N. and Hemipteleae davidii P. J Korean Medicinal Crop Sci 12: 321-327.
- Li HB, Wong CC, Cheng KW, Chen F. 2008. Antioxidant properties in vitro and total phenolic contents in methanol extracts from medicinal plants. LWT-Food Sci Technol 41: 385-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.03.011
- Kang YH, Park YK, Lee GD. 1996. The nitrite scavenging and electron donating ability of phenolic compounds. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 626-632.
- Cho YH, Park HS, Choi MK, Chiang MH. 2001. Anti-microbial activities of Korean herb plants. Kor J Hort Sci Supplement 19: 80.
- Lim HA, Yoon SI. 2009. Antimicrobial activities of Capsella bursa-pastoris extracts. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 562-566.
- Antioxidant and α-glucosidase inhibitory activities of constituents from Euonymus alatus twigs vol.76, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.08.031
- Effect of gomchwi (Ligularia fischeri) extract against high glucose- and H2O2-induced oxidative stress in PC12 cells vol.48, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.5.508
- Antioxidant and α-glucosidase inhibitory phenolic constituents of Lactuca indica L. vol.42, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1068162016030079
- Antioxidant Activities of Processed Deoduck (Codonopsis lanceolata) Extracts vol.42, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.924
- Study on antioxidative, antidiabetic and antiobesity activity of solvent fractions ofsmilax chinaL. leaf extract vol.46, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.5.401
- A Study of the Antioxidant Activities and Whitening Activities of Areca semen Extracts as Cosmetic Ingredient vol.41, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2015.41.3.269
- Biological Effects of the Leaves and Roots of Ligularia stenocephala vol.23, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.11.1381
- Analysis of Total Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity from Fruits of Vaccinium oldhamii Miq. vol.102, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14578/jkfs.2013.102.4.566