- Volume 42 Issue 3
In this study, the changes in hair quality before and after Magic straight perm have been evaluated through a hair damage measurement method. For this, a healthy high school student's (age18 years) wavy hair was selected and permed on the left and right sides. Then, the changes caused by physical methods which were applied during the fl at iron-based Magic straight perm were evaluated based on the hair damage measurement method before and after the Magic straight perm. According to the protein release test after the Magic straight perm, 1.26% in average and 0.14% was observed in Cool Magic straight perm sample. In a field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM) test, saw teeth-shaped partial desquamation of cuticle cells and impurities were observed in the warm-treated hair sample. In atomic force microscope (AFM), line-profile is a method to represent roughness data on hair. According to analysis on 3-dimensional (3D) images, the hair with Cool Magic straight perm was lower than the hair with Warm Magic perm in terms of the color change of 3D images. In addition, vertical changes were observed in the hair with Cool Magic perm. As a result, irregular surface roughness was observed. This study proposed a method to minimize hair damage by cooling down the heat with the cool hair straightener as soon as the Warm Magic was finished.
AFM;Cool Magic straight;FE-SEM;Protein release;Line-profile;3D image
- Breuning E E and Papini R P G (2008) Hair straightener: a significant burn risk. Burns 34, 703-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.burns.2007.07.019
- Chang B S (2003) Fine structure of damaged hair shaft by daily treatment of heat for a beautiful face. Korean J. Electron Microscopy 33, 215-222.
- Cho B S (2007) Personality and attitude of hair style om hair thickness from, Seo Kyeong University. Graduate School of Beauty Arts, pp. 1-10.
- Guthrie J T, Kazlauciunas A, Rongong L, and Rush S (1995) The characterization of treated and dyed hair. Dyes and Pigments 29, 23-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-7208(95)00021-7
- Hyun J W, Lee K G, Yeo J H, and Tae B C (2008) A Study on the Conditioning Effect of the Hair Care Products Conditioning Silk Peptide. Korean J. Biotecnol. Bioeng. 23, 439-444.
- Kang Y S, Soh Y J, Shim S N, Yoon S Y, Jang G G, and Jung S H (2003) Hair best permanent wave. Hunminsa, pp. 147.
- Kim M S, Lee G Y, Choe E Y, Kim D H, and Chang B S (2008) Study on the thermal analysis of dyed hair depending on the brightness level. Korean J. Microscopy 38, 159-165.
- Kim T G (2004) The study of morphological damage of hair in according with thermometer in the process of heat permanent. Master Thesis, The Graduate School of Health Science, Catholic University of Daegu, pp. 1-20.
- G Y and Chang B S (2010) General characteristics on the fine structure of scalp hair-I ultrastructure of hair shaft. Korean J. Cosmetological Science 6, 265-271.
- Lee H N and Kang S M (2008) The study on effects of curly hair by the permanent wave and day. Korean J. Fashion & Beauty Society 6, 75- 79.
- Lim S N and Song M R (2011) Scalp Trichology (Kwangmoonkag, Seoul), pp. 64-70.
- Park J H and Choi J S (2003) The study of heat treatment effect before using ample on the permanent waving in heavy damaged coloring hair. Korean J. Society of Cosmetology 9, 88-95.
- Seo Y Y (2008) Basic Hair Science (Yaelim, Seoul), pp. 21-27.
- Shin H S and Yoo E K (2004) The observation of coating formation of damaged hair according to the chitosan treatment. Korean J. Society of Cosmetology 10, 1-6.
- Shin J Y, Gwon D S, Kim H, Kim G R, Kim G S, Kim S H, Kim S H, Kim Y G, Na H S, No H S, Prak S K, Song H R, Yoon S Y, Jung J Y, Jin Y R, Cheon J C, Choi Y S, Ham M Y, and Hwang H J (2007) Beauty Care Cranc Introductiom (SooMoonSa, Seoul), pp. 115-122.
- Syed A, Kuhajda A, Ayoub H, Ahmad K, and Frank E M (1995) African- American hair: its physical properties and differences relative to Caucasian hair. Cosmet Toil 110, 39-48.
- Rho J A, Lee G Y, and Chang B S (2010) Thermal analysis of the straight permed hair. Korean J. Microscopy 40, 163-168.
- Ryu E J (2002) Trichology (Kwangmoonkag, Seoul), pp. 106-108.