- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Desorption Kinetics and Removal Characteristics of Pb-Contaminated Soil by the Soil Washing Method: Mixing Ratios and Particle Sizes
Lee, Yun-Hee;Oa, Seong-Wook
- Received : 2012.03.13
- Accepted : 2012.08.10
- Published : 2012.09.30
Pb-contaminated soil at a clay shooting range was analyzed by the sequential extraction method to identify metal binding properties in terms of detrital and non-detrital forms of the soil. Most of the metals in the soils existed as non-detrital forms, exchangeable and carbonate-bound forms, which could be easily released from the soil by a washing method. Therefore, the characteristics of Pb desorption for remediation of the Pb-contaminated soil were evaluated using hydrochloric acid (HCl) by a washing method. Batch experiments were performed to identify the factors influencing extraction efficiency. The effects of the solid to liquid (S/L) ratio (1:2, 1:3, and 1:4), soil particle size, and extraction time on the removal capacity of Pb by HCl were evaluated. Soil samples were collected from two different areas: a slope area (SA) and a land area (LA) at the field. As results, the optimal conditions at 2.8 to 0.075 mm of particle size were 1:3 of the S/L ratio and 10 min of extraction time for SA, and 1:4 of the S/L ratio and 5 min of extraction time for LA. The characteristics of Pb desorption were adequately described by two-reaction kinetic models.
Hydrochloric acid;Lead;Solid to liquid ratio;Subsequent extraction method;Two-reaction model
- Nouri J, Mahvi AH, Jahed GR, Babaei AA. Regional distribution pattern of groundwater heavy metals resulting from agricultural activities. Environ. Geol. 2008;55:1337-1343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00254-007-1081-3
- Nwachukwu MA, Feng H, Alinnor J. Assessment of heavy metal pollution in soil and their implications within and around mechanic villages. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010; 7:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03326144
- D'Amore JJ, Al-Abed SR, Scheckel KG, Ryan JA. Methods for speciation of metals in soils: a review. J. Environ. Qual. 2005;34:1707-1745. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2004.0014
- Mulligan CN, Yong RN, Gibbs BF. Remediation technologies for metal-contaminated soils and groundwater: an evaluation. Eng. Geol. 2001;60:193-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(00)00101-0
- Nouri J, Khorasani N, Lorestani B, Karami M, Hassani AH, Yousefi N. Accumulation of heavy metals in soil and uptake by plant species with phytoremediation potential. Environ. Earth Sci. 2009;59:315-323. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-009-0028-2
- US Environmental Protection Agency. Engineering Bulletin: Technology alternatives for the remediation of soils contaminated with As, Cd, Cr, Hg, and Pb. Cincinnati: US Environmental Protection Agency; 1997. EPA no.: 540/S-97/500.
- Lim TT, Tay JH, Wang JY. Chelating-agent-enhanced heavy metal extraction from a contaminated acidic soil. J. Environ. Eng. 2004;130:59-66. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2004)130:1(59)
- Garrabrants AC, Kosson DS. Use of a chelating agent to determine the metal availability for leaching from soils and wastes. Waste Manag. 2000;20:155-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(99)00326-8
- Tandy S, Bossart K, Mueller R, et al. Extraction of heavy metals from soils using biodegradable chelating agents. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2004;38:937-944 https://doi.org/10.1021/es0348750
- Isoyama M, Wada S. Remediation of Pb-contaminated soils by washing with hydrochloric acid and subsequent immobilization with calcite and allophanic soil. J. Hazard. Mater. 2007;143:636-642. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.01.008
- Wuana RA, Okieimen FE, Imborvungu JA. Removal of heavy metals from a contaminated soil using organic chelating acids. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech. 2010;7:485-496. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03326158
- Furukawa M, Tokunaga S. Extraction of heavy metals from a contaminated soil using citrate-enhancing extraction by pH control and ultrasound application. J. Environ. Sci. Health A Tox. Hazard. Subst. Environ. Eng. 2004;39:627-638. https://doi.org/10.1081/ESE-120027729
- Wasay SA, Barrington S, Tokunaga S. Organic acids for the in situ remediation of soils polluted by heavy metals: soil flushing in columns. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2001;127:301-314. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005251915165
- Naidu R, Harter RD. Effect of different organic ligands on cadmium sorption by and extractability from soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 1998;62:644-650. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1998.03615995006200030014x
- US Environmental Protection Agency. METHOD 3050B: acid digestion of sediments, sludges, and soils. Cincinnati: US Environmental Protection Agency; 1996.
- Ministry of Environment. Korean standard method for soil pollution. Seoul: Ministry of Environment; 2009.
- Jung MC. Sequential extraction of heavy metals in soils and a case study. Econ. Environ. Geol. 1994;27:469-477
- Ministry of Environment. Soil Environmental Conservation Act. Seoul: Ministry of Environment; 2009.
- Tuin BJ, Tels M. Distribution of six heavy metals in contaminated clay soils before and after extractive cleaning. Environ. Technol. 1990;11:935-948. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593339009384946
- Levy DB, Barbarick KA, Siemer EG, Sommers LE. Distribution and partitioning of trace metals in contaminated soils near Leadville, Colorado. J. Environ. Qual. 2009;21:185-195.
- Baek K, Kim DH, Seo CI, Yang JS, Lee JY. Remediation of Pbcontaminated soil by soil washing using hdrochloric acid. J. Korean Soc. Soil Ground Water Environ. 2007;12:17-22.
- Hwang SS, Park SS, Namkoong W. Extraction kinetics of heavy metals from contaminated soil by soil washing. J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng. 2004;26:1181-1190.
- Reyhanitabar A, Karimian N. Kinetics of copper desorption of selected calcareous soils from Iran. Am. Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci. 2008;4:287-293.
- Environmental Engineering Research in September 2012 vol.17, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2012.17.3.123
- Ion imprinted activated carbon solid-phase extraction coupled to flame atomic absorption spectrometry for selective determination of lead ions in environmental samples vol.31, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0104-5
- Pulse-enhanced electrokinetic remediation of fluorine-contaminated soil vol.31, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0137-9
- -aided soil washing for removing arsenic from water-stable soil aggregates collected in southern China vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2016.039