- Volume 7 Issue 6
This paper presents a ride-through skill of PMSG wind turbine system under the distorted and unbalanced grid voltage dips. When voltage dips occur in the grid, pitch control and generator speed control as well as a parallel resistor of DC-link help to keep the turbine's safety. Modern grid code requires a wind turbine to supply reactive currents to help voltage recovery after grid faults clearance. In order to supply reactive currents to the grid in case of the distortedly unbalanced grid voltage dips, a special PLL is needed to control the grid side converter and to regulate the grid voltages symmetrically. The proposed method is applied to 2MW multi-pole PMSG wind turbine system, and verified by simulation.
Low voltage ride-through;PMSG wind turbine;Distorted grid voltage;Unbalanced grid voltage;PLL
- Florin Iov, Anca Daniela Hansen, Poul Sørensen, Nicolaos Antonio Cutululis "Denmark - Mapping of Grid Faults and Codes", Riso-R-1617(EN), July, 2007.
- I. Erlich, U. Bachmann "Grid Code Requirements Concerning Connection and Operation of Wind Turbines in Germany" IEEE, 2005.
- Sang-Joon Lee, Jun-Koo Kang, and Seung-Ki Sul "A New Phase Detecting Method for Power Conversion Systems Considering Distorted Conditions in Power System", IEEE, 1999.
- Amirnaser Yazdani and Reza Iravani, "A Unified Dynamic Model and Control for the Voltage-Sourced Converter Undeer Unbalanced Grid Conditions", IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER DELIVERY, VOL. 21, NO. 3, 2006, JULY.
- Seung-Ho Song, Jeong-Jae Kim, "Implementation of Dual Current Controller and Realtime Power Limiting Algorithm in Gird-connected Inverter during Unbalanced Voltage Conditions", Trans. KIEE. Vol. 55B, No.1, JAN, 2006.
- Dong-Choon Lee, "3-phase AC/DC PWM Converter Control under distorted and unbalanced grid conditions", Seminar in Distributed Power Research Center, Myung-Ji University, Feb, 2009.
- Nae-Chun Park, Hyung-Soo Mok, and Sang-Hoon Kim, "Reduction of Input Current Harmonics for Three Phase PWM Converter Systems under a Distorted Utility Voltage", Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, July 2010.
- Yoon-Su Nam "Wind turbine control", Book, GS Inter Vision, 2009.
- Weihao Hu, Zhe Chen, Yue Wang,Zhaoan Wang, "Low Voltage Ride-Through of Variable Speed Wind Turbines with Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator", Ecologic Vehicles and Renewable Energies, Monaco, March 26-29, 2009.
- J.F. Conroy and R. Watson, "Low-Voltage ridethrough of a full converter wind turbine with permanent magnet generator", IET Renew. Power Gener. 1, (3), pp. 182-189, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg:20070033
- Jun Li, Dujiang Li, Lei Hong, Chuan Xie and Guozhu Chen, "A Novel Power-flow Balance LVRT Control Strategy for Low-speed Direct-drive PMSG Wind Generation System", IEEE, 2010.
- 1. Impact of wind conditions on thermal loading of PMSG wind turbine power converters vol.10, pp.11, 2017, doi:10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.898
- 2. Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation Method for a Wind Farm Controller Using Real Time Digital Simulator vol.9, pp.5, 2014, doi:10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.898
- 3. Optimum design of proportional-integral controllers in grid-integrated PMSG-based wind energy conversion system vol.26, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.898
- 4. Coordinated control strategy for hybrid wind farms with DFIG-based and PMSG-based wind farms during network unbalance vol.105, 2017, doi:10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.898
- 5. Design of DC Side Voltage and Compensation Analysis of THD for Shunt Power Quality Controller under System Load of Rectifier with R-L Load vol.10, pp.1, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.898