- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
DNA Polymorphism of Insulin-like Growth Factor-binding Protein-3 Gene and Its Association with Cashmere Traits in Cashmere Goats
- Liu, Haiying (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University) ;
- Liu, Chao (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University) ;
- Yang, Guiqin (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Hui (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University) ;
- Dai, Jin (Procurement Department, China Petroleum LONGWAY Engineering Project Management CO., LTD.) ;
- Cong, Yuyan (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Xuejian (College of Animal Science and Veterinary Science, Shenyang Agricultural University)
- Received : 2012.06.21
- Accepted : 2012.08.03
- Published : 2012.11.01
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene is important for regulation of growth and development in mammals. The present investigation was carried out to study DNA polymorphism by PCR-RFLP of IGFBP-3 gene and its effect on fibre traits of Chinese Inner Mongolian cashmere goats. The fibre traits data investigated were cashmere fibre diameter, combed cashmere weight, cashmere fibre length and guard hair length. Four hundred and forty-four animals were used to detect polymorphisms in the hircine IGFBP-3 gene. A 316-bp fragment of the IGFBP-3 gene in exon 2 was amplified and digested with HaeIII restriction enzyme. Three patterns of restriction fragments were observed in the populations. The frequency of AA, AB and BB genotypes was 0.58, 0.33 and 0.09 respectively. The allelic frequency of the A and B allele was 0.75 and 0.25 respectively. Nucleotide sequencing revealed a C>G transition in the exon 2 region of the IGFBP-3 gene resulting in R158G change which caused the polymorphism. Least squares analysis revealed a significant effect of genotypes on cashmere weight (p<0.0001), cashmere fibre length (p<0.001) and hair length (p<0.05) of the animals. The effect of genotypes on cashmere fibre diameter was not statistically significant (p>0.05). The animals of AB and BB genotypes showed higher cashmere weight, cashmere fibre length and hair length than the animals possessing AA genotype. These results suggested that polymorphisms in the hircine IGFBP-3 gene might be a potential molecular marker for cashmere weight in cashmere goats.
- Adelson, D. L., D. E. Hollis and G. H. Brown. 2002. Wool fibre diameter and follicle density are not specified simultaneously during wool follicle initiation. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 53:1003-1009. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR01200
- Ali, B. A., A. A. EL-Hanafy and H. H. Salem. 2009. Genetic biodiversity studies on IGFBP-3 gene in Egyptian sheep breeds. Biotechnol. Anim. Husb. 25:101-109. https://doi.org/10.2298/BAH0902101A
- Bai, J. Y., Q. Zhang, J. Q. Li, Er-Ji Dao and X. P. Jia. 2006. Estimates of genetic parameters and genetic trends for production traits of Inner Mongolian White cashmere goat. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:13-18.
- Batch, J. A., F. A. Mercuri and G. A. Werther. 1996. Identification and localization of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP) messenger RNAs in human hair follicle dermal papilla. J. Investig. Dermatol. 106:471-475. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12343649
- Botchkarev, V. A., E. A. Komarova, F. Siebenhaar, N. V. Botchkareva, A. A. Sharov, P. G. Komarov, M. Maurer, A. V. Gudkov and B. A. Gilchrest. 2001. p53 Involvement in the control of murine hair follicle regression. Am. J. Pathol. 158: 1913-1919. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)64659-7
- Hossner, K. L., R. H. McCusker and M. V. Dodson. 1997. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins in domestic animals. Anim. Sci. 64:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015502
- Kumar, P., V. Choudhary, K. G. Kumar, T. K. Bhattacharya, B. Bhushan, A. Sharma and A. Mishra. 2006. Nucleotide sequencing and DNA polymorphism studies on IGFBP-3 gene in sheep and its comparison with cattle and buffalo. Small Rumin. Res. 64:285-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.05.018
- Lan, X. Y., C. Y. Pan, H. Chen, C. Z. Lei, S. Q. Liu, Y. B. Zhang, L. J. Min, J. Yu, J. Y. Li, M. Zhao and S. R. Hu. 2007a. The HaeIII and XspI PCR-RFLPs detecting polymorphisms at the goat IGFBP-3 locus. Small Rumin. Res. 73:283-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2007.01.001
- Lan, X. Y., C. Y. Pan, H. Chen, M. Zao, J. Y. Li, J. Yu, C. L. Zhang, C. Z. Lei, L. S. Hua and X. B. Yang. 2007b. The novel SNPs of the IGFBP3 gene and their associations with litter size and weight traits in goat. Arch. Tierz., Dummerstorf. 50:223-224.
- Li, M. Y., L. Li, L. J. Min and J. M. Wang. 2008. Genetic analysis of IGFBP-3 gene and its association with economic traits in goats. Acta Veterinariaet Zootechnica Sinica. 39:1647-1653.
- Liu, H. Y., C. W. Yue, W. Zhang, X. P. Zhu, G. Q. Yang and Z. H. Jia. 2011. Association of the KAP 8.1 gene polymorphisms with fibre traits in inner mongolian cashmere goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1341-1347. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11120
- McCarthy, B. J. 1998. Specialty animal fibres. Textiles 1:6-8.
- Philpott, M. P., D. Sanders, G. E. Westgate and T. Kealey. 1994. Human hair growth in vitro: a model for the study of hair follicle biology. J. Dermatol. Sci. 7:S55-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/0923-1811(94)90036-1
- Sambrool, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular Cloning: a laboratory manual. 2nd ed. N.Y., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Schlake, T., M. Beibel, N. Weger and T. Boehm. 2004. Major shifts in genomic activity accompany progression through different stages of the hair cycle. Gene Expr. Patterns 4:141-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.modgep.2003.09.009
- Schlake, T. 2005. Segmental Igfbp5 expression is specifically associated with the bent structure of zigzag hairs. Mech. Dev. 122:988-997. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mod.2005.04.012
- Shen, M., W. J. Wang, Y. L. Yang, S. Q. Gan, Q. H. He, Y. S. Zhang, J. H. Wang, C. P. Ma, Z. S. Liu, S. R. Liu and N. Li. 2008. A novel polymorphism of IGFBP-3 gene and its relationship with several wool traits in Chinese Merino sheep. Hereditas. 30:1182-1186.
- Su, H. Y., J. G. Hickford, R. Bickerstaffe and B. R. Palmer. 1999. Insulin-like growth factor 1 and hair growth. Dermatol. Online J. 5:1.
- Weger, N. and T. Schlake. 2005a. Igf-I signalling controls the hair growth cycle and the differentiation of hair shafts. J. Invest. Dermatol. 125:873-882. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-202X.2005.23946.x
- Weger, N. and T. Schlake. 2005b. Igfbp3 modulates cell proliferation in the hair follicle. J. Invest. Dermatol. 125:847-849. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-202X.2005.23886.x
- Wraight, C. J., M. M. Murashita, V. C. Russo and G. A. Werther. 1994. A keratinocyte cell line synthesizes a predominant insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP- 3) that modulates insulin-like growth factor-I action. J. Invest. Dermatol. 103:627-631. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12397667
- Zhou, H. M., D. Allain, J. Q. Li, W. G. Zhang and X. C. Yu. 2003. Effects of non-genetic factors on production traits of Inner Mongolia cashmere goats in China. Small Rumin. Res. 47:85-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00246-8
- Effects of melatonin implantation on cashmere growth, hormone concentrations and cashmere yield in cashmere-perennial-type Liaoning cashmere goats vol.57, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15183
- ) secondary hair follicle growth: a view from integrated analysis of long non-coding and coding RNAs vol.17, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15384101.2018.1471318
- Expression of lipid-protein gene PLP2 in Liaoning cashmere goat pp.1532-2378, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2018.1485682