- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Alcohol Fermented Feed on Lactating Performance, Blood Metabolites, Milk Fatty Acid Profile and Cholesterol Content in Holstein Lactating Cows
- Li, X.Z. (Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture Science, Yanbian University) ;
- Park, B.K. (Nonghyup Feed Co., LTD.) ;
- Yan, C.G. (Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture Science, Yanbian University) ;
- Choi, J.G. (Deahan Livestock and Feed Co., LTD.) ;
- Ahn, J.S. (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Shin, J.S. (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2012.05.07
- Accepted : 2012.06.26
- Published : 2012.11.01
A feeding experiment with 40 lactating Holstein cows and 4 dietary treatments was conducted to investigate supplementation with different levels of alcohol fermented feed to the TMR on lactating performance, blood metabolites, milk fatty acid profile and cholesterol concentration of blood and milk. Forty Holstein lactating cows (
Alcohol Fermented Feed;Lactating Cows;Lactating Performance;Blood Metabolite;Fatty Acid;Cholesterol
- Allison, M. J., J. A. Bucklin and R. W. Dougherty. 1964. Ruminal changes after overfeeding with wheat and the effect of intraruminal inoculation on adaptation to a ration containing wheat. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1164-1171.
- Anbarasu, C., D. Narayan, K. Shama and U. Naulia. 2002. Blood biochemical profile and rumen fermentation pattern of goats fed leaf meal mixture or conventional cakes as dietary protein supplements. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:665-670. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.665
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis, 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, 269 USA.
- Byers, F. M., R. D. Goodrich and J. C. Meiske. 1982. Influence of acetic acid, lactic acid and ethanol on the fermentation of com silage. J. Anim. Sci. 54:640-648.
- Burning, C. L. and M. T. Yokoyama. 1988. Characteristics of live and killed brewer's yeast slurries and intoxication by intraruminal administration to cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 66:585-591.
- Chaney, E. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:130-133.
- Chen, K. J., D. F. Jan, P. W. S. Chiou and D. W. Yong. 2002. Effects of dietary heat extruded soybean meal and protected fat supplement on the production, blood and ruminal characteristics of Holstein cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:821-827. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.821
- Czerkawski, J. W. and G. Breckenbridge. 1972. Fermentation of various glycolytic intermediates and other compounds by rumen micro-organisms, with particular reference to methane production. Br. J. Nutr. 27:131-146. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19720077
- Dulphy, J. P. and C. Demarquilly. 1981. Problèmes particuliers aux ensilages. In: Prevision de la valeur nutritive des aliments des ruminants (Ed. C. Demarquilly, INRA Publications, Versailles. 81-104.
- Durix, A., C. Jean-Blain, H. P. Sallmann and J. P. Jouany. 1991. Use of semicontinuous culture system (RUSITEC) to study the metabolism of ethanol in the rumen and its effects on ruminal digestion. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 71:115-123. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas91-013
- Folch, J., M. Lee and G. H. Sloan-Stanley. 1957. A sample method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Jean-Blain, C., A. Durix and B. Tranchant. 1992. Kinetics of ethanol metabolism in sheep. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 32:83-90. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19920109
- Kristensen, N. B., A. Storm, B. M. L. Raun, B. A. Røjen and D. L. Harmon. 2007. Metabolism of silage alcohols in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 90:1364-1377. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)71623-5
- Laukova, A. and M. Marounek. 1992. Physiological and biochemical characteristics of staphylococci isolated from the rumen of young calves and lambs. Zentralbl. Microbiol. 147:489-494.
- Lepage, G. and C. C. Roy. 1986. Direct trans-esterification of all classes of lipid in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27:114-221.
- Lin, G. Z., B. W. Kim, C. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, K. I. Sung, S. J. Ohh, B. J. Hong and J. S. Shin. 2004. Changes in serum metabolites and growth characteristics of Korean native steers fed alcohol-fermented feeds. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:648-654. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.648
- Lin, G. Z. 2001. Nutritional metabolism of alcohol-fermented feedstuffs in the rumen of Korean beef cattle. Ph. D. Dissertation, Kangwon National University, Chunchon, Korea.
- Moomaw, R. C. and R. E. Hungate. 1963. Ethanol convertion in the bovine rumen. J. Bacteriol. 85:721-722.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th Ed. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, USA.
- Pearce, J. 1996. Effects of milk and fermented dairy products on the blood cholesterol content and profile of mammals in relation to coronary heart disease. Int. Dairy J. 6:661-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/0958-6946(95)00011-9
- Pradhan, K. and R. W. Hemken. 1970. Utilization of ethanol and its effect on fatty acid patterns in ruminants. J. Dairy Sci. 53:1739-1746. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(70)86472-4
- Randby, A. T., I. Selmer-Olsen and L. Baevre. 1999. Effect of ethanol in feed on milk flavor and chemical composition. J. Dairy Sci. 82:420-428. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75248-3
- Rooke, J. A., F. M. Maya, J. A. Arnold and D. G. Armstrong. 1988. The chemical composition and nutritive value of grass silages prepared with no additive or with the application of additives containing either lnaobacillus plantarum or formic acid. Grass For. Sci. 43:87-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1988.tb02144.x
- Roseler, D. K., F. D. Ferguson, C. F. Sniffen and I. Herrema. 1993. Dietary protein degradability effects on plasma and milk urea nitrogen and milk non-protein nitrogen in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:525-534. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77372-5
- SAS Institute Inc. 2004. SAS/SAT user's guide: Version 9. 2th edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Shin, J. S. 1995. Effect of fermented alcoholic feedstuff, recombinant bovine somatotropin and castration on high quality beef production. Ph. D. Dissertation, Kangwon National University, Chunchon, Korea.
- Simion,V. E., P. Gheorghe, P. Elena, B. Luiza and P. Monica. 2010. Alteration of some biochemical and haematological parameters in the dairy cows due to the intake of mycotoxin contaminated feeds. Anim. Sci. Biotechnol. 43:100-104.
- Teunissen, M. J., E. P. W. Kets, H. J. M. Op den Camp, J. H. J. Huis in′t Veld and G. D. Vogels. 1992. Effect of coculture of anaerobic fungi isolated from ruminants and non-ruminants with methanogenic bacteria on cellulytic and xylanolytic enzyme activities. Arch. Microbiol. 157:176-182.
- Yan, C. G. 1998. Effects of alcohol-fermented feedstuff on quality meat production in Hanwoo. Ph. D. Dissertation, Kangwon National University, Chunchon, Korea.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Dietary effects of lutein-fortified chlorella on milk components of Holstein cows vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2622-6