- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Stocking Density or Group Size on Intake, Growth, and Meat Quality of Hanwoo Steers (Bos taurus coreanae)
- Lee, Sang-Moo (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Yeon (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Eun-Joong (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.05.10
- Accepted : 2012.06.24
- Published : 2012.11.01
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of stocking density or group size on feed intake, daily gain, and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean indigenous breed) steers reared from 7 months to 31 months of age. Thirty Hanwoo steers were divided into four groups with three replicates each (a total of 12 pens). In each group, one (G1), two (G2), three (G3), and four steers (G4) per pen were allocated as treatments. Pen size was
Stocking Density;Hanwoo;Growth;Meat Quality;Animal Welfare
- Boe, K. E. and G. Færevik. 2003. Grouping and social preferences in calves, heifers and cows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 80:175-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(02)00217-4
- Cho, Y. M., S. S. Chang, H. C. Kim, T. I. Kim, B. K. Park, B. H. Paek, J. H. Kim and E. G. Kwon. 2009. Effects of concentrate feeding method and slaughter age on growth performance, feed intake and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 51:53-60. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.1.053
- Dantzer, R. and P. Mormède. 1983. Stress in farm animals: a need for reevaluation. J. Anim. Sci. 57:6-18.
- de Haer, L. C. M. and A. G. de Vries. 1993. Feed intake patterns of and feed digestibility in growing pigs housed individually or in groups. Livest. Prod. Sci. 33:277-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(93)90008-6
- Friend, T. H. and C. E. Polan. 1974. Social rank, feeding behavior, and free stall utilization by dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 57:1214-1220. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(74)85040-X
- Gehlbach, G. D., D. E. Becker, J. L. Cox, B. G. Harmon and A. H. Jensen. 1966. Effects of floor space allowance and number per group on performance of growing-finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 25:386-391.
- Gonyou, H. W., R. P. Chapple and G. R. Frank. 1992. Productivity, time budgets and social aspects of eating in pigs penned in groups of five or individually. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 34:291-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(05)80090-5
- Gonyou, H. W. and W. R. Stricklin. 1998. Effects of floor area allowance and group size on the productivity of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1326-1330.
- González, L. A., A. Ferret, X. Manteca, J. L. Ruíz-de-la-Torre, S. Calsamiglia, M. Devant and A. Bach. 2008. Effect of the number of concentrate feeding places per pen on performance, behavior, and welfare indicators of Friesian calves during the first month after arrival at the feedlot. J. Anim. Sci. 86:419-431.
- Jeong, J., N. I. Seong, I. K. Hwang, S. B. Lee, M. S. Yu, I. S. Nam and M. I. Lee. 2010. Effects of level of CP and TDN in the concentrate supplement on growth performances and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers during final fattening period. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Korean) 52:305-312. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.4.305
- Kondo, S., N. Kawakami, H. Kohama and S. Nishino. 1984. Changes in activity, spatial pattern and social behavior in calves after grouping. Appl. Anim. Ethol. 11:217-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3762(84)90028-2
- Kondo, S., J. Sekine, M. Okubo and Y. Asahida. 1989. The effect of group size and space allowance on the agonistic and spacing behavior of cattle. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 24:127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(89)90040-3
- Lee, S., Y. Kim, Y. Oh and W. Kwak. 2010. Effects of feeding methods of total mixed ration on behavior patterns of growing Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1469-1475. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10100
- Lee, Y.-L., H.-R. Lee, J.-B. Ahn, J.-Y. Song, J.-J. Jang and M.-J. Lee. 2007. A Study of the correlation between breeding density and the azimuth of cattle sheds affected calf diarrhea disease. Kor. J. Vet. Ser. 30:133-144.
- Li, S. G., Y. X. Yang, Y. J. Rhee, W. J. Jang, J. J. Ha, S. K. Lee and Y. H. Song. 2010. Growth, behavior, and carcass traits of fattening Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) steers managed in different group sizes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:952-959. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90276
- McConnell, J. C., J. C. Eargle and R. C. Waldorf. 1987. Effects of weaning weight, co-mingling, group size and room temperature on pig performance. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1201-1206.
- Mitchell, G., J. Hattingh and M. Ganhao. 1988. Stress in cattle assessed after handling, after transport and after slaughter. Vet. Rec. 123:201-205. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.123.8.201
- Nielsen, B. L., A. B. Lawrence and C. T. Whittemore. 1995. Effect of group size on feeding behaviour, social behaviour, and performance of growing pigs using single-space feeders. Livest. Prod. Sci. 44:73-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(95)00060-X
- Park, B. K., N. J. Choi, S. M. Lee, H. C. Kim, B. S. Jeon, M. J. Kim, Y. K. Oh, S. K. Im, S. K. Hong, J. S. Chang, I. H. Hwang, Y. J. Kim and E. G. Kwon. 2011. Effects of dietary multi-nutritional targeted supplementation according to different growth stages on performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:222-229. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10202
- Rind, M. I. and C. J. C. Phillips. 1999. The effects of group size on the ingestive and social behaviour of grazing dairy cows. Anim. Sci. 68:589-596.
- SAS. 2000. User's guide:Statistics, release. 8.1 version Edition. SAS Inst., Cary, NC. USA.
- Watts, J. M. and J. M. Stookey. 2000. Vocal behaviour in cattle: the animal's commentary on its biological processes and welfare. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 67:15-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(99)00108-2
- Yamada, M., Y. Watabe, A. Sato, K. Yamada and H. Kanno. 2003. Effect of different population density on the growth, carcass characteristics, and fatty acid composition of lipid and muscle tissue in pigs. Jap. J. Swine Sci. 40:65-72. https://doi.org/10.5938/youton.40.65
- Effect of Stocking Density on Eating Behavior of Finishing Hanwoo Steers (Bos taurus coreanae) vol.32, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.4.397
- Comparison of Carcass and Sensory Traits and Free Amino Acid Contents among Quality Grades in Loin and Rump of Korean Cattle Steer vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0128
- Effect of optimal sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate supplementation on growth performance and blood and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers during the early fattening period vol.31, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0349