- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Synchronization of Carbohydrate and Protein Supply in Total Mixed Ration with Korean Rice Wine Residue on Ruminal Fermentation, Nitrogen Metabolism and Microbial Protein Synthesis in Holstein Steers
- Piao, Min Yu ;
- Kim, Hyun-J. ;
- Seo, J.K. ;
- Park, T.S. ;
- Yoon, J.S. ;
- Kim, K.H. ;
- Ha, Jong-K.
- Received : 2012.07.07
- Accepted : 2012.09.11
- Published : 2012.11.01
Three Holstein steers in the growing phase, each with a ruminal cannula, were used to test the hypothesis that the synchronization of the hourly rate of carbohydrate and nitrogen (N) released in the rumen would increase the amount of retained nitrogen for growth and thus improve the efficiency of microbial protein synthesis (EMPS). In Experiment 1, in situ degradability coefficients of carbohydrate and N in feeds including Korean rice wine residue (RWR) were determined. In Experiment 2, three total mixed ration (TMR) diets having different rates of carbohydrate and N release in the rumen were formulated using the in situ degradability of the feeds. All diets were made to contain similar contents of crude protein (CP) and neutral detergent fiber (NDF) but varied in their hourly pattern of nutrient release. The synchrony index of the three TMRs was 0.51 (LS), 0.77 (MS) and 0.95 (HS), respectively. The diets were fed at a restricted level (2% of the animal's body weight) in a
By-product;Dairy Steer;Microbial Protein Synthesis;Purine Derivative;Rice Wine Residue;Synchronization
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th Edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Batajoo, K. K. and R. D. Shaver. 1998. In situ dry matter, crude protein, and starch degradabilities of selected grains and by-product feeds. Anim. Feed.Sci. Technol. 71:165-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00132-6
- Beever, D. E. and R. C. Siddons. 1986. Digestion and metabolism in the grazing ruminant. In: Control of digestion and metabolism in ruminants (Ed. L. P. Milligan, W. L. Grovum and A. Dobson). pp. 479-497. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Chanjula, P., M. Wanapat, C. Wachirapaorn and P. Rowlinson. 2004. Effects of synchronizing starch sources and protein (NPN) in the rumen of feed intake, rumen microbial fermentation, nutrient utilization and performance of lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1400-1410. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1400
- Chen, X. B., D. B. F. D. Hovell, E. R. Orskov and D. S. Brown. 1990. Excretion of purine derivatives by ruminants: Effect of exogenous nucleic acid supply on purine derivative excretion by sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 63:131-142. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900098
- Chen, X. B., Y. K. Chen, M. F. Franklin, E. R. Orskov and W. J. Shand. 1992. The effect of feed intake and body weight on purine derivative excretion and microbial protein supply in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1534-1542.
- Chumpawadee, S., K. Sommart, T. Vongpralub and V. Pattarajinda. 2006. Effects of synchronizing the rate of dietary energy and nitrogen release on ruminal fermentation, microbial protein synthesis, blood urea nitrogen and nutrient digestibility in beef cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:181-188.
- Clark, J. H., T. K. Klusmeyer and M. R. Cameron. 1992. Microbial protein synthesis and flows of nitrogen fractions to the duodenum of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2304-2323. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77992-2
- Dewhurst, R. J., D. R. Davies and R. J. Merry. 2000. Microbial protein supply from the rumen. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 85: 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00139-5
- George, S. K., M. T. Dipu, U. R. Mehra, P. Singh, A. K. Verma and J. S. Ramgaokar. 2006. Improved HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of allantoin, uric acid and creatinine in cattle urine. J. Chromatogr. B 832:134-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2005.10.051
- Hall, M. B. and G. B. Huntington. 2008. Nutrient synchrony: sound in theory, elusive in practice. J. Anim. Sci. 86:E287-E292.
- Henning, P. H., D. G. Steyn and H. H. Meissner. 1991. The effect of energy and nitrogen supply pattern on rumen bacteria growth in vitro. Anim. Prod. 53:165-175. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100020080
- Henning, P. H., D. G. Steyn and H. H. Meissner. 1993. Effect of synchronization of energy and nitrogen supply on ruminal characteristics and microbial growth. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2516-2528.
- Herrera-Saldana, R., R. Gomez-Alarcon, M. Torabi and J. T. Huber. 1990. Influence of synchronizing protein and starch degradation in the rumen on nutrient utilization and microbial protein synthesis. J. Dairy Sci. 73:142-148. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78657-2
- Hoover, W. H. and S. R. Stokes. 1991. Balancing carbohydrate and protein for optimum rumen microbial yield. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3630-3644. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78553-6
- Johnson, R. R. 1976. Influence of carbohydrate solubility on non-protein nitrogen utilization in the ruminant. J. Anim. Sci. 43:184-191.
- Kim, K. H., Y. G. Oh, J. J. Choung and D. G. Chamberlain. 1999. Effects of varying degrees of synchrony of energy and nitrogen release in the rumen on the synthesis of microbial protein in cattle consuming grass silage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:833-838. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(19990501)79:6<833::AID-JSFA293>3.0.CO;2-C
- Kolver, E., L. D. Muller, G. A. Varga and T. J. Cassidy. 1998. Synchronization of ruminal degradation of supplemental carbohydrate with pasture nitrogen in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2017-2028. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75776-5
- McAllister, T. A., R. C. Phillippe, L. M. Rode and K. J. Cheng. 1993. Effect of the protein matrix on the digestion of cereal grains by ruminal microorganisms. J. Anim. Sci. 71:205-212.
- Melaku S., K. J. Peters and A. Tegegne. 2003. In vitro and in situ evaluation of selected multipurpose trees, wheat bran and Lablab purpureus as potential feed supplements to tef (Eragrostis tef) straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 108:159-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00128-7
- Owens, F. N. and W. G. Bergen. 1983. Nitrogen metabolism of ruminant animals: Historical perspective, current understanding and future implications. J. Anim. Sci. 57:498-518.
- Peter Wen-Shyg Chiou, Chao-Ren Chen, Kuen-Jaw Chen and Bi Yu. 1998. Wet brewers' grains or bean curd pomace as partial replacement of soybean meal for lactating cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 74:123-134 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00170-9
- Pereira, J. C., M. D. Carro, J. Gonzalez, M. R. Alvir and C. A. Rodriguez. 1998. Rumen degradability and intestinal digestibility of brewer's grains as affected by origin and heat treatment and of barley rootlets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 74:107-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00168-0
- Richardson, J. M., R. G. Wilkison and L. A. Sinclair. 2003. Synchrony of nutrient supply to the rumen and dietary energy source and their effects on the growth and metabolism of lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1332-1347.
- Rotger, A., A. Ferret, S. Calsamiglia and X. Manteca. 2006. Effects of nonstructural carbohydrate and protein sources on intake, apparent total tract digestibility, and ruminal metabolism in vivo and in vitro with high-concentrate beef cattle diets. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1188-1196.
- SAS. 2002. SAS user's guide: Statistics (Version 9.01 Ed). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shabi, Z., A. Arieli, I. Bruckental, Y. Aharoni, S. Zamwel, A. Bor and H. Tagari. 1998. Effect of the synchronization of the degradation of dietary crude protein and organic matter and feeding frequency on ruminal fermentation and flow of digesta in the abomasums of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1991-2000. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75773-X
- Sinclair, L. A., P. C. Garnsworthy, P. Beardsworth, P. Freeman and P. J. Buttery. 1991. The use of cytosine as a marker to estimate microbial protein synthesis in the rumen. Anim. Prod. 52:592(Abstr).
- Sinclair, L. A., P. C. Garnsworthy, J. R. Newbold and P. J. Buttery. 1993. Effect of synchronizing the rate of dietary energy and nitrogen release on rumen fermentation and microbial protein synthesis in the sheep. J. Agric. Sci. 120:251-263. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960007430X
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical methods (6th Ed.). Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames.
- Teja Kaswari, Peter Lebzien, Gerhard Flachowsky and Udo ter Meulen. 2007. Studies on the relationship between the synchronization index and the microbial protein synthesis in the rumen of dairy cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 139:1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.12.002
- Valkeners, D., A. Tahewis, F. Piron and Y. Beekers. 2004. Effect of imbalance between energy and nitrogen supplies on microbial protein synthesis and nitrogen metabolism in growing double muscled Belgian Blue bulls. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1818-1825.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Van Vuuren, A. M., S. Tamminga and R. S. Ketelaar. 1991. In sacco degradation of organic matter and crude protein of fresh grass (Lolium perenne) in the rumen of grazing dairy cows. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb) 116:429-436. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600078242
- Vanzant, E. S., R. C. Cochran and E. C. Titgemeyer. 1998. Standardization of in situ techniques for ruminant feedstuff evaluation. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2717-2729.
- Witt, M. W., L. A. Sinclair, R. G. Wilkinson and P. J. Buttery. 1999. The effects of synchronizing the rate of dietary energy and nitrogen supply to the rumen on the metabolism and growth of ram lambs given food at a restricted level. J. Anim. Sci. 69: 627-636.
- Witt, M. W., L. A. Sinclair, R. C. Wilkinson and P. J. Buttery. 1999. The effects of synchronizing the rate of dietary energy and nitrogen supply to the rumen on the production and metabolism of sheep: food characterization and growth and metabolism of ewe lambs given food ad libitum. J. Anim. Sci. 69:223-235.
- Xu, C., Y. Cai, N. Moriya and M. Ogawa. 2007. Nutritive value for ruminants of green tea grounds as a replacement of brewers' grains in totally mixed ration silage. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 138:228-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.11.014
- Yang, J. Y., J. Seo, H. J. Kim, S. Seo and J. K. Ha. 2010. Nutrient synchrony: Is it a suitable strategy to improve nitrogen utilization and animal performance? Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:972-979. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.r.04
- Rumen metabolism of swamp buffaloes fed rice straw supplemented with cassava hay and urea vol.48, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-016-1026-5
- Rumen fermentation and performance of Hanwoo steers fed total mixed ration with Korean rice wine residue vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0084-6
- Short communication: Evaluation of nitrogen excretion equations from cattle vol.99, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10730