- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplementing Microbially-fermented Spent Mushroom Substrates on Growth Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo Steers (a Field Study)
- Kim, Y.I. ;
- Lee, Y.H. ;
- Kim, K.H. ;
- Oh, Y.K. ;
- Moon, Y.H. ;
- Kwak, Wan-Sup
- Received : 2012.05.09
- Accepted : 2012.07.16
- Published : 2012.11.01
This study evaluated the effect of dietary supplementation of microbially-fermented spent mushroom substrates (MFSMS) on weight gain, carcass characteristics, and economic efficiency of Hanwoo steers. Highly cellulolytic bacteria (Enterobacter spp. and Bacillus spp.) isolated from spent mushroom substrates (SMS) stacks were inoculated (1% v/v) into the SMS, which was anaerobically fermented and fed to the steers for 12.6 months during the growing and fattening periods. Growing Hanwoo steers were assigned to the control group without supplementation of Microbially-fermented SMS (MFSMS), to a treatment group with 50% of MFSMS (1/2 of the ad libitum group), and to a treatment group with ad libitum access to SMS (the ad libitum group). All the groups were fed the formulated feed and rice straw. The voluntary intake (DM basis) of MFSMS was 1.6 kg/d during the growing period and 1.4 kg/d during the fattening period. The voluntary rice straw intake decreased by 6 to 11%, but the total voluntary DMI increased by 7 to 15% with MFSMS fed. The increased DMI with MFSMS supplementation resulted in a tendency of increased (p = 0.055) live weight gain by 8 to 12% compared with the control group. At slaughtering, the supplementation of MFSMS increased (p<0.05) the ribeye area by an average of 10 cm2. In conclusion, feeding MFSMS improved growth performance and carcass traits of Hanwoo steers and could successfully replace a part of conventional roughage such as rice straw commonly used in Asian countries.
Spent Mushroom Substrates;Spent Mushroom Compost;By-product Feed;Beef Cattle
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Forbes, J. M. 1995. Voluntary food intake and diet selection in farm animal. CAB International. Wallingford, Oxon, UK.
- Galyean, M. L., G. A. Nunnery, P. J. Defoor, G. B. Salyer and C. H. Parsons. 2000. Effects of live cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus (strains 45 and 51) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii PF-24 on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing beef steers. Burnett Center Internet Progress Report No:8, USA.
- Gleghorn, J. F., N. A. Elam, M. L. Galyean, G. C. Duff, N. A. Cole and J. D. Rivera. 2004. Effects of crude protein concentration and degradability on performance, carcass characteristics, and serum urea nitrogen concentrations in finishing beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2705-2717.
- Hanwoo Fund Management Commettee. 2009. Hanwoo Counsulting Manual. Korean Society of Animal Science, Hanwoo Research Agency, Korea.
- Huck, G. L., K. K. Kreikemeier and G. A. Ducharme. 2000. Effects of feeding two microbial additives in sequence on growth performance and carcass characteristics of finishing heifers. Kansas State University Cattlemen's Day 2000, Report of Progress, KSU Agric. Exp. St. and Coop. Ext. Service. pp. 32-34, USA.
- Ivamoto, E., F. Iwaki and A. Oka. 2010. Effects of dietary protein level in the early fattening period on free amino acids and dipeptides in the blood and longissimus thoracis muscle in Japanese Black steers. Anim. Sci. J. 81:338-344. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00746.x
- Jaster, E. H. and M. R. Murphy. 1983. Effects of varying particle size of forage on digestion and chewing behavior of dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 66:802-810. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(83)81860-8
- Kang, S. W., Y. H. Chung, Y. S. Son and Y. K. Kim. 1995. Effects of growing-fattening period on the growth patterns of bone, muscle and fat in the carcass of Korean native bulls. Korean J. Anim. Nutr. Feed. 19:242-252.
- Kato, K., Y. Kajima, M. Odashima, L. S. Lee, K. T. Nam, H. Chiga, Y. Shoji, M. Otha and Y. Sasaki. 1989. Feed passage and digestibility in Japanese deer and sheep. Research Report of Kawatabi Experimental Station. 5:59-62.
- Kim, H. C., D. H. Lee, S. B. Choi and G. J. Jeon. 2003. Relationship between ultrasonic and carcass measures for meat qualities in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 45:183-190. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.183
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Bae, S. H. Jung, M. H. Ahn and W. S. Kwak. 2007a. Yield and physicochemical characteristics of spent mushroom (Pleurotus ryngii, Pleurotus osteratus and Ammulina velutipes) substrates according to mushroom species and cultivation types. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:79-88. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.1.079
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Seok and W. S. Kwak. 2008a. Effect of mixed microbes addition on chemical change and silage storage of spent mushroom substrates. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 50:831-848. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.6.831
- Kim, Y. I., S. H. Jung, J. S. Seok, S. Y. Yang, J. W. Huh and W. S. Kwak. 2007b. Isolation and identification of high cellulolytic bacteria from spent mushroom substrate and determination of optimal medium conditions for the growth. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 35:255-260.
- Kim, Y. I., S. H. Jung, J. S. Seok, S. Y. Yang, J. W. Huh and W. S. Kwak. 2008b. Isolation and identification of hydrolytic enzyme-producing bacteria from spent mushroom substrate. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 50:713-720. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.713
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture and Forest. 2007. Carcass grading standards. Livestock Regulation Practice, Appendix no. 4, KMAF, Korea.
- Krehbiel, C. R., S. R. Rust, G. Zhang and S. E. Gilliland. 2003. Bacterial direct-fed microbials in ruminant diets: Performance response and mode of action. American Society of Animal Science, J. Anim. Sci. 81(E.Suppl. 2):E120-E132.
- Kwak, W. S., S. H. Jung and Y. I. Kim. 2008. Broiler litter supplementation improves storage and feed-nutritional value of sawdust-based spent mushroom substrate. Bioresour. Technol. 99:2947-2955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.021
- Lee, S. C., Y. W. Moon, H. J. Lee, Y. G. Oh and K. H. Kim. 2002. Prediction of dry matter intake of Hanwoo bulls. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 43:341-350. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.3.341
- Moon, S. S., I. H. Hwang, S. K. Jin, J. G. Lee, S. T. Joo and G. B. Park. 2003. Carcass traits determining quality and yield grades of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1049-1054. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1049
- Okumura, T., K. Saito, H. Sakuma, T. Nade, S. Nakayama, K. Fujita and T. Kawamura. 2007. Intramuscular fat deposition in principal muscles from twenty-four to thirty months of age using identical twins of Japanese Black steers. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1902-1907. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-752
- Okumura, T., K. Saito, T. Nade, S. Misumi, H. Sakuma, S. Nakayama, Y. Masuda, K. Fujita and T. Kawamura. 2008. Effects of high protein levels in concentrate feed during the early fattening stage on physic-chemical composition and sensory characteristics of M. longissimus in Japanese Black heifers. Anim. Sci. J. 79:332-338. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00534.x
- Palmieri, A. D., R. L. Oliveira, C. V. D. M. Ribeiro, M. D. Ribeiro, R. D. X. Ribeiro, A. G. Leao, M. S. F. A. Agy and O. L. Ribeiro. 2012. Effects of substituting soybean meal for sunflower cake in the diet on the growth and carcass traits of crossbred Boer goat kids. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:59-65. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11140
- Park, G. B., S. S. Moon, Y. D. Ko, J. K. Ha, J. G. Lee, H. H. Chang and S. T. Joo. 2002. Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80:129-136.
- Sainz R. D., F. De la Torre and J. W. Oltjen. 1995. Compensatory growth and carcass quality in growth-restricted and refed beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2971-2979.
- Sniffen, C. J., J. D. O'Connor, P. J. Van Soest, D. G. Fox and J. B. Russell. 1992. A net carbohydrate and protein system for evaluating cattle diets. II. Carbohydrate and protein availability. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3562-3577.
- Statistix7. 2000. User's manual. Analytical Software, Tallahassee, FL, USA.
- Ware, D. R., P. L. Read and E. T. Manfredi. 1988. Pooled summary of eight feedlot trials evaluating performance and carcass characteristics of steers fed Lactobacillus acidophilus strain BT138. J. Anim. Sci. 66(Suppl. 1):436.
- Effects of <i>Bacillus subtilis</i> KN-42 on Growth Performance, Diarrhea and Faecal Bacterial Flora of Weaned Piglets vol.27, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13737
- Improving Nutritional Quality of Cocoa Pod (Theobroma cacao) through Chemical and Biological Treatments for Ruminant Feeding: In vitro and In vivo Evaluation vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.13.0798
- Effects of spent mushroom compost meal on growth performance and meat characteristics of grower geese vol.45, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000600001
- Environmentally sustainable applications of agro-based spent mushroom substrate (SMS): an overview vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-018-0739-0
- Lactobacillus salitolerans sp. nov., a novel lactic acid bacterium isolated from spent mushroom substrates pp.1466-5034, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1099/ijsem.0.003224