- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Red Pepper (Capsicum frutescens) Powder or Red Pepper Pigment on the Performance and Egg Yolk Color of Laying Hens
- Li, Huaqiang (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Jin, Liji (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Wu, Feifei (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Thacker, Philip (Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Saskatchewan) ;
- Li, Xiaoyu (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- You, Jiansong (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Wang, Xiaoyan (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Liu, Sizhao (College of Life Science, Liaoning Normal University) ;
- Li, Shuying (Dalian SEM Bio-Engineering Technology Co. Ltd.) ;
- Xu, Yongping (School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology)
- Received : 2012.04.30
- Accepted : 2012.06.23
- Published : 2012.11.01
Two experiments were conducted to study the effects of red pepper (Capsicum frutescens) powder or red pepper pigment on the performance and egg yolk color of laying hens. In Exp. 1, 210, thirty-wk old, Hy-line Brown laying hens were fed one of seven diets containing 0.3, 0.6, 1.2, 2.0, 4.8 or 9.6 ppm red pepper pigment or 0.3 ppm carophyll red. Each diet was fed to three replicate batteries of hens with each battery consisting of a row of five cages of hens with two hens per cage (n = 3). In Exp. 2, 180, thirty-wk old, Hyline Brown laying hens, housed similarly to those in Exp. 1, were fed an unsupplemented basal diet as well as treatments in which the basal diet was supplemented with 0.8% red pepper powder processed in a laboratory blender to an average particle size of
Egg Yolk Color;Egg Weight;Laying Hens;Pigments;Red Pepper Powder
- Al-Kassie, G. A. M., A. M. A. Mamdooh and J. A. Saba. 2011. The effects of using hot red pepper as a diet supplement on some performance traits in broiler. Pakistan J. Nutr. 9:842-845.
- Baiao, N. C., J. Mendez, J. Mateos, M. Garcia and G. G. Mateos. 1999. Pigmenting efficacy of several oxycarotenoids on egg yolk. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 8:472-479. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/8.4.472
- Barbero, G. F., A. Liazid, M. Palma and C. G. Barroso. 2008. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of capsaicinoids from peppers. Talanta 75:1332-1337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2008.01.046
- Blount, J. D., D. C. Houston and A. P. Moller. 2000. Why egg yolk is yellow. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:47-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5347(99)01774-7
- Boldyrev, V. V. and K. Tkacova. 2000. Mechanochemistry of solids: Past, present, and prospects. J. Mater. Synth. Process. 8:121-132. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011347706721
- Carvalho, J. C., C. R. Soccol, S. Babitha, A. Pandey and A. L. Woiciechowski. 2008. Production of pigments. In: Current Developments in Solid-State Fermentation (Ed. A. Pandley, C. R. Soccol and C. Larroche). Springer Publishing, Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 337-356.
- Esfahani-Mashhour, M., H. Moravej, H. Mehrabani-Yeganeh and S. H. Razavi. 2009. Evaluation of coloring potential of Dietzia natonolinaea biomass as source of canthaxanthin for egg yolk pigmentation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:254-259. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80202
- Furuse, M., S. Nakajima, S. Miyagawa, S. Nakagawa and J. Okumura. 1994. Feeding behaviour, abdominal fat and laying performance in laying hens given diets containing red pepper. Jap. Poult. Sci. 31:45-52. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.31.45
- Gonzalez, M., E. Castano, E. Avila and E. G. Mejia. 1999. Effect of capsaicin from red pepper (Capsicum sp) on the deposition of carotenoids in egg yolk. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:1904-1908. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199910)79:13<1904::AID-JSFA452>3.0.CO;2-S
- Gurbuz, Y., S. Yasar and M. Karaman. 2003. Effects of addition of the red pepper from 4th harvest to corn or wheat based diets on egg-yolk colour and egg production in laying hens. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 2:107-111. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2003.107.111
- Hamilton, P. B., J. F. Tirado and F. Garcia-Hernandez. 1990. Deposition in egg yolks of the carotenoids from saponified and unsaponified oleoresin of red pepper (Capsicum annuum). Poult. Sci. 69:462-470. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0690462
- Huie, C. W. 2002. A review of modern sample-preparation techniques for the extraction and analysis of medicinal plants. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 373:23-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-002-1265-3
- Korolev, K. G., O. I. Lomovskii, O. A. Rozhanskaya and V. G. Vasil'ev. 2003. Mechanochemical preparation of water-soluble forms of triterpene acids. Chem. Nat. Comp. 39:366-372. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CONC.0000003418.28517.f6
- Lin, H., L. F Wang, J. L. Song, Y. M. Xie and Q. M. Yang. 2002. Effect of dietary supplementation levels of vitamin A on the egg production and immune responses of heat-stressed laying hens. Poult. Sci. 81:458-465. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.4.458
- Liu, Y., L. J. Jin, X. Y. Li and Y. P. Xu. 2007. Application of mechanochemical pretreatment to aqueous extraction of isofraxidin from Eleutherococcus Senticosus. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 46:6584-6589. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie070346j
- Liu, S. 2009. Application of pressure-shear induced chemical transitions in extraction of red pepper bioactive compounds. M. Sc. Thesis. Liaoming Normal University, Dalian, China.
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Rowghani, E., A. Maddahian and M. A. Abousadi. 2006. Effects of addition of marigold flower, safflower petals, and red pepper on egg-yolk color and egg production in laying hens. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 9:1333-1337. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2006.1333.1337
- Santos-Bocanegra, E., X. Ospina-Osorio and E. O. Oviedo-Rondon. 2004. Evaluation of xanthophylls extracted from tagetes erectus (Marigold Flower) and Capsicum Sp. (Red Pepper Paprika) as a pigment for egg-yolks compared with synthetic pigments. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 3:685-689. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2004.685.689
- Samlı, H. E., N. Senkoylu, H. Akyurek and A. Agma. 2005. Effects of natural pigments on old hens' yolk. J. Tekirdag Agric. Fac. 2:281-286.
- SPSS. 2004. Statistical package for the social sciences, Version 13. IBM Corporation, Armonk, New York.
- Vuilleumier, J. P. 1969. The roche yolk color fan: An instrument for measuring yolk colour. Poult. Sci. 48:767-707. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0480767
- The Effects of Different Types of Antioxidants (Se, Vitamin E and Carotenoids) in Broiler Diets on the Growth Performance, Skin Pigmentation and Liver and Plasma Antioxidant Concentrations vol.18, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/18069061-2015-0155
- The effects of carotenoids in quail breeder diets on egg yolk pigmentation and breeder performance vol.66, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/09064702.2017.1330360
- Capsaicinoids improve egg production by regulating ovary nuclear transcription factors against heat stress in quail vol.58, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2016.1262001
- Producing chicken eggs containing isoflavone as functional food due to feeding effect of soy sauce by-product vol.102, pp.1755-1315, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/102/1/012021