- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Sodium Nitrate Consumption on Egg Production, Egg Quality Characteristics and Some Blood Indices in Native Hens of West Azarbaijan Province
- Safary, H. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University) ;
- Daneshyar, Mohsen (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University)
- Received : 2012.04.29
- Accepted : 2012.06.19
- Published : 2012.11.01
The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of sodium nitrate consumption on egg quality and quantity, and some blood parameters of native breeder hens of West Azerbaijan province. One hundred native hens were used from wk 25 to 32 of age. These birds were divided into two groups. One group was fed the control diet (CD) but the other fed the same diet supplemented with 4.2 g/kg sodium nitrate (ND). After 2 wks of adaptation, eggs were collected daily and egg mass and egg production were measured weekly for five weeks. To assess the egg quality parameters, two eggs from each replicate pen were collected for three consecutive days each week. At the end of experimental period (wk 32 of age), blood samples of 5 birds per replicate were collected from the wing vein into anticoagulant tubes. Dietary sodium nitrate didn't affect the egg production, shell stiffness, shell thickness and Haugh unit (p>0.05) but it decreased the both egg production and egg mass during the last three weeks (wks 30, 31 and 32) (p<0.05). Furthermore, a treatment effect was observed for yolk colour (p<0.05). Both the egg production and egg mass were increased over time (p<0.05). No significant treatment
Nitrate;Performance;Blood Antioxidant Indices;Enzyme Activities;Blood Cholesterol;Hen
- Ames, B. N. 1983. Dietary carcinogens and anticarcinogens oxygen radicals and degenerative diseases. Science 221:1256-1264. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.6351251
- Atanasova-Goranova, V. K., P. I. Dimova and G. T. Pevicharova. 1997. Effect of food products on endogenous generation of N-nitrosamines in rats. Br. J. Nutr. 78:335-345. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19970151
- Atef, M Abo-Norage, M. A., M. S. Hanafy and A. E. Agag. 1991. Pharmacotoxicological aspects of nitrate and nitrite in domestic fowls. Br. Poult. Sci. 32:399-404. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669108417365
- Barton, T. L., L. H. Hileman and T. S. Nelson. 1986. A Survey of water quality on Arkansas broiler farms and meeting poultry Health and Condemnation, Univ. Arkansas, Fayetteville, A R.
- Chow, C. K. 2001. Vitamin E regulation of mitochondrial generation of hydrogen peroxide. Biol. Signals Receptors. 10: 112-124. https://doi.org/10.1159/000046879
- Chow, C. K. and C. B. Hong. 2002. Dietary vitamin E and selenium and toxicity of nitrite and nitrate. Toxicology 180: 195-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00391-8
- D'Ischia, M. and L. Novellino. 1996. Nitric oxide-induced oxidation of alpha-tocopherol. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 4:1747-1753. https://doi.org/10.1016/0968-0896(96)00191-5
- Daneshyar, M., H. Kermanshahi and A. Golian. 2009. Changes of biochemical parameters and enzyme activities in broiler chickens with cold-induced ascites. Poult. Sci. 88:106-110. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00170
- Daneshyar. M., J. M. C. Geuns, J. G. Buyse, H. Willemsen, E. Decuypere, N. Everaert, H. Kermanshahi and Z. Ansari. 2010. Evaluation of steviol injection on chicken embryos: Effects on post-hatch development, proportional organ weights, plasma thyroid hormons and metabolites. J. Poult. Sci. 47:71-76. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.009059
- Drexler, H., A. M. Zeiher, K. Meinzerand H. Just. 1991. Correction of endothelial dysfunction in coronary microcirculation of hypercholesterolemicpatients by L-arginine. Lancet 338:1546-1550. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(91)92372-9
- Eisen, E. J., B. B. Bohrenand and H. E. McKean. 1962. The haugh unit as a measure of egg albumen quality. Poult. Sci. 41:1461- 1468. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0411461
- Esfahani-Mashhour, K. S., H. Moravej, H. Mehrabani-Yeganeh and S. H. Razavi. 2009. Evaluation of coloring potential of Dietzia natronolimnaea biomass as source of canthaxanthin for egg yolk pigmentation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:254-259. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80202
- Ger, J., H. Kao, T. S. Shih and J. F. Deng. 1996. Fatal toxic methemoglobinemia due to occupational exposure to methyl nitrite. Clin. Med. J. 57:S78.
- Liao, J. K., W. S. Shin, W. Y. Lee and S. L. Clark. 1995. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein decreases the expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. J. Biol. Chem. 270:319-324. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.270.1.319
- Marrett, L. E. and M. L. Sunde. 1986. The use of turkey and chickens as test animals for nitrate and nitrite toxicity. Poult. Sci. 68:511-519.
- Mirvish, S. S. 1995. Role of N-nitroso compounds (NOC) and N-nitrosation in etiology of gastric, esophageal, nasopharyngeal and bladder cancer and contribution to cancer of known exposures to NOC. Cancer Lett. 93:17-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03786-V
- Mirvish, S. S., K. J. Reimers, B. Kutler, S. C. Chen, J. Haorah, C. R. Morris, A. C. Grandjean and E. R. Lyden. 2000. Nitrate and nitrite concentrations in human saliva for men and women at different ages and times of the day and their consistency over time. Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 9:335-342. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200010000-00008
- National Toxicology program. 2001. Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of sodium nitrate (CAS no. 7632-00-0) in F344/N rat and B6C3F1 mice (drinking water studies), Technical Report Series No. TR-459, NIH publication No.01-3954, National Institutes of Environmental Health Science, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Nickerson, M. 1970. In: The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (Ed. L. S. Goodman and A. Gilmlan), 4th edition. London, MacMillan, pp. 745-763.
- SAS Institute. 2002. SAS users guide: Statistics. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Seven, I., T. Aksu and P. T. Seven. 2010. The effects of propolis on biochemical parameters and activity of antioxidant enzymes in broilers exposed to lead-induced oxidative stress. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1482-1489. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10009
- Shim, K. S., G. H. Park, C. J. Choi and C. S. Na. 2004. Decreased triglyceride and cholesterol levels in serum, liver and breast muscle in broiler by the supplementation of dietary codonopsis lanceolata root. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:511-513. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.511
- Tannenbaum, S. R., D. Frett, V. R. Young, P. D. Land and W. R. Bruce. 1978. Nitrite and nitrate are formed by endogenous synthesis in the human intestine. Science 200:1487-1489. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.663630
- Van Maanen, J. M., D. M. Pachen, J. W. Dallinga and J. C. Kleinjans. 1998. Formation of nitrosamines during consumption of nitrite- and amine-rich foods, and the influence of the use of mouthwashes. Cancer Detect. Prev. 22:204-212. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1500.1998.0oa26.x
- White, J. W. 1975. Relative significance of dietary source of nitrate and nitrite. J. Agri. Food Chem. 23:886-891. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60201a034