- Volume 25 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Supplementation of the Combination of Gallic and Linoleic Acid in Thigh Meat of Broilers
- Lee, Kyung-Haeng (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Jung, Samooel (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Joo (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Il-Suk (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyungnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Jun-Heon (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jo, Cheorun (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2012.05.11
- Accepted : 2012.08.15
- Published : 2012.11.01
This study was performed to investigate the combined effect of dietary supplementation of gallic and linoleic acid (GL) on the antioxidative effect and quality of thigh meat from broilers. Broilers received 3 dietary treatments: i) commercial finisher diet (control), ii) 0.5% GL (gallic:linoleic acid = 1 M:1 M), and iii) 1.0% GL during the 22 to 36 d. The pH value of broiler thigh meat was increased by GL supplementation. Water holding capacity of the thigh meat was enhanced by the 1.0% dietary GL supplementation. Antioxidative effect (total phenolic content, DPPH radical scavenging activity,
Broiler;Thigh Meat;Gallic Acid;Linoleic Acid;Quality
- Ahn, D. U., D. G. Olson, C. Jo, J. Love and S. K. Jin. 1999. Volatiles production and lipid oxidation on irradiated cooked sausage as related to packaging and storage. J. Food Sci. 64: 226-229. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb15870.x
- Bee, G., A. L. Anderson, S. M. Lonergan and E. Huff-Lonergan. 2007. Rate and extent of pH decline affect proteolysis of cytoskeletal proteins and water-holding capacity in pork. Meat Sci. 76:359-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.12.004
- Blois, M. S. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181:1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
Bou, R., F. Guardiola, A. Tres, A. C. Barroeta and R. Codony. 2004. Effect of dietary fish oil,
$\alpha$-tocopheryl acetate, and zinc supplementation on the composition and consumer acceptability of chicken meat. Poult. Sci. 83:282-292. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.2.282
- Cherian, G., F. W. Wolfe and J. S. Sim. 1996. Dietary oils with added tocopherols: Effects on egg or tissue tocopherols, fatty acids, and oxidative stability. Poult. Sci. 75:423-431. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0750423
- Choi, J., H. J. Kim and J. W. Lee. 2011. Structural feature and antioxidant activity of low molecular weight laminarin degraded by gamma irradiation. Food Chem. 129:520-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.03.078
- Conway, E. J. 1950. Microdiffusion analysis and volumetric error, 3rd ed. London: Crosby Lockwood and Son Ltd.
- Cortinas, L., A. Barroeta, C. Villaverde, J. Galobart, F. Guardiola and M. D. Baucells. 2005. Influence of the dietary polyunsaturation level on chicken meat quality: Lipid oxidation. Poult. Sci. 84:48-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.1.48
- Crespo, N. and E. Esteve-Garcia. 2002. Nutrient and fatty acid deposition in broiler fed different dietary fatty acid profiles. Poult. Sci. 81:1533-1542. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.10.1533
- Erel, O. 2004. A novel automated direct measurement method for total antioxidant capacity using a new generation, more stable ABTS radical cation. Clin. Biochem. 37:277-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2003.11.015
- Folch, J., M. Less and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Goni, I., A. Brenes, C. Centeno, A. Viveros, F. Saura-Calixtio, A. Rebole, I. Arija and R. Estevez. 2007. Effect of dietary grape pomace and vitamin E on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and susceptibility to meat lipid oxidation in chickens. Poult. Sci. 86:508-516. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.3.508
- Hogan, S., L. Zhang, J. Li, B. Zoecklein and K. Zhou. 2009. Antioxidant properties and bioactive components of Norton (Vitis aestivallis) and Cabernet Franc (Vitis vinifera) wine grapes. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 42:1269-1274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.02.006
- Huff-Lonergan, E. and S. M. Lonergan. 2005. Mechanisms of water-holding capacity of meat: The role of postmortem biochemical and structural changes. Meat Sci. 71:194-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.022
- Jahan, K., A. Paterson, J. Piggott and C. Spickett. 2005. Chemometric modeling to relate antioxidants, neutral lipid fatty acids, and flavor components in chicken breasts. Poult. Sci. 84:158-166. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.1.158
- Jang, A., X. D. Liu, M. H. Shin, B. D. Lee, S. K. Lee, J. H. Lee and C. Jo. 2008a. Antioxidative potential of raw breast meat from broiler chicks fed a dietary medicinal herb extract mix. Poult. Sci. 87: 2382-2389. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00506
- Jang, A., P. Srinivasan, N. Y. Lee, H. P. Song, J. W. Lee, M. Lee and C. Jo. 2008b. Comparison of hypolipidemic activity of synthetic gallic acid-linoleic acid ester with mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid, gallic acid, and linoleic acid on high-fat diet induced obesity in C57BL/6 Cr Slc mice. Chem-Biol. Interact. 174:109-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.05.018
- Jang, A., N. Y. Lee, B. D. Lee, T. H. Kim, J. H. Son, B. J. An and C. Jo. 2009. Biological functions of a synthetic compound, octadeca-9,12-dienyl-3,4,5-hydroxybenzoate, from gallic acid-linoleic acid ester. Food Chem. 112:369-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.05.074
- Jo, C., A. Jang, S. Jung, J. H. Choe, B. Kim and K. H. Lee. 2009. Effect of dietary herb extract mix on antioxidative activity of chicken thigh meat. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38:302-308. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.302
- Jo, C., I. Y. Jeong, N. Y. Lee, K. S. Kim and M. W. Byun. 2006. Synthesis of a novel compound from gallic acid and linoleic acid and its biological functions. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 15:317-320.
- Jung, S., J. H. Choe, B. Kim, H. Yun, Z. A. Kruk and C. Jo. 2010. Effect of dietary mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid on antioxidative potential and quality of breast meat from broilers. Meat Sci. 86:520-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.06.007
- Jung, S., B. H. Han, K. C. Nam, D. U. Ahn, J. H. Lee and C. Jo. 2011. Effect of dietary supplementation of gallic acid and linoleic acid mixture or their synthetic salt on egg quality. Food Chem. 129:822-829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.05.030
- Kang, H. K., K. H. Kang, J. C. Na, D. J., Yu, D. U. Kim, S. J. Lee and S. H. Kim. 2008. Effects of feeding Rhus verniciflua extracts on egg quality and performance of laying hens. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28:610-615. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.5.610
- Kim, J. H., J. Hwangbo, N. J. Choi, H. G. Park, D. H. Yoon, E.W. Park and Y. J. Kim. 2007. Effect of dietary supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid, with oleic, linoleic, or linolenic acid, on egg quality characteristics and fat accumulation in the egg yolk. Poult. Sci. 86:1180-1186. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1180
- Kim, J. K., P. Srinivasan, J. H. Kim, J. Choi, H. J. Park, M. W. Byun and J. W. Lee. 2008. Structural and antioxidant properties of gamma irradiated hyaluronic acid. Food Chem. 109:763-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.01.038
- Kim, J. S. and Y. S. Lee. 2009. Antioxidant activity of maillard reaction products derived from aqueous glucose/glycine, diglycine, and triglycine model systems as a function. Food Chem. 116:227-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.02.038
- Kim, S. H., C. D. Jun, K. Suk, B. J. Choi, H. Lim, S. Park, S. H. Lee, H. Y. Shin, D. K. Kim and T. Y. Shin. 2006. Gallic acid inhibits histamine release and pro-inflammatory cytokine production in mast cells. Toxicol. Sci. 91:123-131. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfj063
- Krauss, R. M., R. Eckel, B. Howard, L. J. Appel, S. R. Daniels, R. J. Deckelbaum et al. 2001. Revision 2000: Statement for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee of the American Heart Association. J. Nutr. 131:132-146.
- Kruk, Z. A., H. Yun, D. L. Rutley, E. J. Lee, Y. J. Kim and C. Jo. 2011. The effect of high pressure on microbial population, meat quality and sensory characteristics of chicken breast fillet. Food Control 22:6-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.06.003
- Kwon, S. C., G. H. Choi, J. H. Hwang and K. H. Lee. 2010. Physicochemical property and antioxidative activity of hot-water extracts from enzyme hydrolysate of Astragalus membranaceus. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39:406-413. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.406
- Mielnik, M. B., E. Olsen, G. Vogt, D. Adeline and G. Skrede. 2006. Grape seed extract as antioxidant in cooked, cold stored turkey meat. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 39:191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.02.003
- Molyneux, P. 2004. The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicryl-hydrazyl (DPPH) for estimation antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol. 26:211-219.
- Nagendra Prasad, K., B. Yang, S. Yang, Y. Chen, M. Zhao, M. Ashraf and Y. Jiang. 2009. Identification of phenolic compounds and appraisal of antioxidant and antityrosinase activities from litchi (Litchi sinensis Sonn.) seeds. Food Chem. 116:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.01.079
- Naveena, B. M., A. R. Sen, S. Vaithiyanathan, Y. Babji and N. Kondaiah. 2008. Comparative efficacy of pomegranate juice, pomegranate rind powder extract and BHT as antioxidants in cooked chicken patties. Meat Sci. 80:1304-1308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.06.005
- Olivo, R., A. L. Soares, E. I. Ida and M. Shimokomaki. 2001. Dietary vitamin E inhibits poultry PSE and improves meat functional properties. J. Food Biochem. 25:271-283. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2001.tb00740.x
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: Antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jap. J. Nutr. 44:307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Park, C. I. and Y. J. Kim. 2008. Effects of dietary mugwort powder on the VBN, TBARS, and fatty acid composition of chicken meat during refrigerated storage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28:505-511. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.4.505
- Priscilla, D. H. and P. S. M. Prince. 2009. Cardioprotective effect of gallic acid on cardiactroponin-T, cardiac marker enzymes, lipid peroxidation products and antioxidants in experimentally induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats. Chem-Biol. Interact. 179:118-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.12.012
- Rodriguez-Vaquero, M. J., M. R. Alberto and M. C. Manca de Nadra. 2007. Antibacterial effect of phenolic compounds from different wines. Food Control 18:93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2005.08.010
- Rowe, L. J., K. R. Maddock, A. Trenkle, S. M. Lonergan and E. Huff-Lonergan. 2004. Oxidative environments decrease tenderization of beef steaks through inactivation of calpain. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3254-3266.
- Russo, G. L. 2009. Dietary n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: From biochemistry to clinical implications in cardiovascular prevention. Biochem. Pharmacol. 77:937-946. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2008.10.020
- Schlesier, K., M. Harwat, V. Bohm and R. Bitsch. 2002. Assesment of antioxidant activity by using different in vitro methods. Free Radical Res. 36:177-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760290006411
- Scislowski, W., D. Bauchart, D. Gruffat, P. M. Laplaud and D. Durand. 2005. Effects of dieraty n-6 or n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids protected or not against ruminal hydrogenation on plasma lipids and their susceptibility to peroxidation in fattening steers. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2162-2174.
- Sim, J. S. and G. H. Qi. 1995. Designing poultry products using flaxseed. In: Flaxseed in human nutrition (Ed. L. U. Thompson, and S. Cunnane) (pp. 315-333), Champaign: American Oil Chemist's Society Press.
- Simitzis , P. E., S. G. Deligeorgis, J. A. Bizelis, A. Dardamani, I. Theodosiou and K. Fegeros. 2008. Effect of dietary oregano oil supplementation on lamb meat characteristics. Meat Sci. 79:217-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.09.005
- Subramanian, K. N., G. Padmanaban and S. Sarma. 1965. Folin-Ciocalteu reagent for the estimation of siderochromes. Anal. Biochem. 12:106-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(65)90147-8
- Tudor, G. D., F. J. Couper and D. W. Pethick. 1996. Effect of silage diet on glycogen concentration in the muscle of yearling cattle. Proc. Aust. Soc. Anim. Prod. 21:451.
- Zelenka, J., D. Schneiderova, E. Mrkvicova and P. Dolezal. 2008. The effect of dietary linseed oils with different fatty acid pattern on the content of fatty acids in chicken meat. Vet. Med. 53:77-85.
- Zhang, W., S. Xiao, H. Samaraweera, E. J. Lee and D. U. Ahn. 2010. Improving functional value of meat products. Meat Sci. 86:15-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.018
- Effect of Dietary Supplementation of Wild Grape on the Antioxidative Potential of the Breast and Leg Meat of Broilers vol.33, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.1.83
- Dietary Supplementation of Barbatimão (Stryphnodendron Adstringens) and Pacari (Lafoensia Pacari) Extracts on the Oxidative Stability and Quality of Chicken Meat vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2015-0212
- Effect of polyphenols dietary grape by-products on chicken patties pp.1438-2385, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-017-2962-7