- Volume 13 Issue 3
A simple and robust methodology is presented to determine the location and amount of crack in beam like structures based on the incremental particle swarm optimization technique. A comparison is made for assessing the performance of standard particle swarm optimization and the incremental particle swarm optimization technique for detecting crack in structural members. The objective function is formulated using the measured natural frequency of the intact structure and the frequency obtained from the finite element simulation. The outcomes of the simulated results demonstrate that the developed method is capable of detecting and estimating the extent of damages with satisfactory precision.
Crack Assessment;Particle Swarm Optimization;Inverse Problem;Natural Frequency
- Cawley, P., "Non-destructive testing-current capabilities and future directions", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. L215, 2001, pp. 213-223.
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R., Prime, M.B. and Shevitz, D.W., "Damage Identification and Health Monitoring of Structural and Mechanical Systems from Changes in Their Vibration Characteristics: A Literature Review", Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-13070-MS, Los Alamos, NM, 1996.
- Carden, E.P., and Fanning, P., "Vibration Based Condition Monitoring: A Review", Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 3, 2004, pp. 355-377. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921704047500
- Fan, W., and Qiao, P., "Vibration-based damage Identification Methods: A Review and Comparative Study", Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2011, pp. 83-111. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921710365419
- Salawu O. S., "Detection of Structural Damage through Changes in Natural Frequency: A Review", Engineering Structures, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1997, pp. 718-723. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(96)00149-6
- Messina, A., Williams, E.J., and Contursi, T., "Structural Damage Detection by a Sensitivity & Statistical-Based Method", Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 216, No. 5, 1998, pp. 791-808 https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1998.1728
- Hao, H. and Xia, Y., "Vibration-based Damage Detection of Structures by Genetic Algorithm", Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2002, pp. 222-229. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(2002)16:3(222)
- Tripathi, R.R. and Maity, D., "Damage Assessment of Structures From Changes in Natural Frequencies Using Genetic Algorithm", Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2005, pp. 21-42. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.19.1.021
- Meruane, V., and Heylen, W., "A hybrid real genetic algorithm to detect structural damage using modal properties", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 25, 2011, pp. 1559-1573. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2010.11.020
- Perera, R., and Ruiz, A., "A multistage FE updating procedure for damage identification in large-scale structures based on multi-objective evolutionary optimization", Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 22, 2008, pp.970-991. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.10.004
- Sahoo, B., and Maity, D., "Damage assessment of structures using hybrid neuro-genetic algorithm", Applied Soft Computing, Vol.7, No. 1, 2007, pp. 89-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2005.04.001
- Bakhary, N., Hao, H., and Deeks, A. J., "Damage detection using artificial neural network with consideration of uncertainties", Engineering Structures, Vol. 29, 2007, pp. 2806-2815. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.01.013
- Vallabhaneni, V. and Maity, D., "Application of Radial Basis Neural Network on Damage Assessment of Structures", Procedia Engineering, Vol. 14, 2011, pp. 3104 - 3110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.390
- Yu, L. and Xu, P., "Structural health monitoring based on continuous ACO method", Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 51, 2011, pp. 270-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2010.09.011
- Majumdar, A., Maiti, D.K, and Maity, D., "Damage assessment of truss structures from changes in natural frequencies using ant colony optimization", Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 218, No. 19, 2012, pp. 9759-9772. DOI: 10.1016/j.amc.2012.03.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.03.031
- Begambre, O., and Laier, J.E., "A hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization - Simplex algorithm (PSOS) for structural damage identification", Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 40, No. 9, 2009, pp. 883-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2009.01.004
- Moradi, S., Razi, P., and Fatahi, L., "On the application of bees algorithm to the problem of crack detection of beamtype structures", Computers & Structures, Vol. 89, No. 23-24, 2011, pp. 2169-2175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.08.020
- Perera, R., Fang, S.E, and Ruiz, A., "Application of particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithms to multiobjective damage identification inverse problems with modelling errors", Meccanica, Vol. 45, No. 5, 2009, pp. 723-734.
- Kennedy, J., and Eberhart, R., "Particle swarm optimization", IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1995, pp. 1942-1948.
- Perez, R.E., and Behdinan, K., "Particle swarm approach for structural design optimization", Computers and Structures, Vol. 85, 2007, pp. 1579-1588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.10.013
- Montes de Oca, M.A., Stützle, T., Enden, K.V., and Dorigo M., "Incremental Social Learning in Particle Swarms", 368 IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, And Cybernetics-Part B: Cybernetics, Vol. 41, No. 2, 2011, pp. 368-384. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2010.2055848
- Mataric, M.J., "Learning social behavior", Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 20, 1997, pp. 191-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8890(96)00068-1
- Christides, S., and Barr, A.D.S, "One-dimensional theory of cracked Bernoulli-Euler beams", International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1984, pp. 639-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(84)90017-1
- Crack Assessment in Frame Structures Using Modal Data and Unified Particle Swarm Optimization Technique vol.17, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.3.323
- Modal parameter based inverse approach for structural joint damage assessment using unified particle swarm optimization vol.242, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.3.323
- Structural Damage Detection Based on Modal Parameters Using Continuous Ant Colony Optimization vol.2014, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.3.323