- Volume 13 Issue 3
This paper presents an approach on the design of a nonlinear controller to track a reference velocity for an air-breathing supersonic vehicle. The nonlinear control scheme involves an adaptation of propulsive and aerodynamic characteristics in the equations of motion. In this paper, the coefficients of given thrust and drag functions are estimated and they are used to approximate the equations of motion under varying flight conditions. The form of the function of propulsive thrust is extracted from a thrust database which is given by preliminary engine input/output performance analysis. The aerodynamic drag is approximated as a function of angle of attack and fin deflection. The nonlinear controller, designed by using the approximated nonlinear control model equations, provides engine fuel supply command to follow the desired velocity varying with time. On the other hand, the stabilization of altitude, separated from the velocity control scheme, is done by a classical altitude hold autopilot design. Finally, several simulations are performed in order to demonstrate the relevance of the controller design regarding the vehicle.
supersonic air-breathing engine;nonlinear adaptive velocity controller;thrust variation tendency analysis
- Fry, R. S., "A Century of Ramjet Propulsion Technology Evolution", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2004, pp. 27-58. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.9178
- Boksenbom, A. S., and Novik, D., "Control Requirements and Control Parameters for A Ram Jet with Variable-Area Exhaust Nozzle", NACA RM-E8H24, 1948.
- Cotright, E. M., and Connors, J. F., "Survey of Some Preliminary Investigations of Supersonic Diffusers at High Mach Numbers", NACA RM-E52E20, 1952.
- Himmel, S. C., "Some Control Considerations for Ram-jet Engines", NACA RM-E52F10, 1952.
- Tournes, C., Landrum, D. B., Shtessel, Y., and Hawk, C. W., "Ramjet-Powered Reusable Launch Vehicle Control by Sliding Modes", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1998, pp. 409-415. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4273
- Xu, H., Mirmirani, M. D., and Ioannou, P. A., "Adaptive Sliding Mode Control Design for a Hypersonic Flight Vehicle", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 27, No. 5, 2004, pp. 829-838. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.12596
- Gibson, T. E., and Annaswamy, A. M., "Adaptive Control of Hypersonic Vehicles in the Presence of Thrust and Actuator Uncertainties", AIAA Guidance, Navigation and control Conference and Exhibit, St. Louis, HI, 2008.
- Fiorentini, L., Serrani, A., Bolender, M. A., and Doman, D. B., "Nonlinear Robust Adaptive Control of Flexible Air-Breathing Hypersonic Vehicles", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 32, No. 2, 2009, pp. 401-416. DOI: 10.2514/1.39210 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.39210
- Parker, J. T., Serrani, A., Yurkovich, S., Bolender, M. A., and Doman, D. B., "Control-Oriented Modeling of an Air- Breathing Hypersonic Vehicle", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 30, No. 3, 2007, pp. 856-869. DOI: 10.2514/1.27830 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.27830
- Bolender, M. A., and Doman, D. B., "Nonlinear Longitudinal Dynamical Model of an Air-Breathing Hypersonic Vehicle", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 44, No. 2, 2007, pp. 374-387. DOI: 10.2514/1.23370 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.23370
- Park, J., Tahk, M., and Sung, H., "Trajectory Optimization for A Supersonic Air-Breathing Missile System Using Pseudo-Spectral Method", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 10, No.1, 2009, pp. 112-121. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2009.10.1.112
- Kim, S., Yeom, H., Jeon, J., and Sung, H., "An Integrated Dynamic Model to Control Ramjet Propulsion System", Proceedings of the KSAS-JSASS Joint International Symposium on Aerospace Engineering, Jeju, Korea, 2008.
- Chandra, K. P. B., Gupta, N. K., Ananthkrishnan, N., Park, I., and Yoon, H., "Modeling, Simulation, and Controller Design for an Air-Breathing Combustion System", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2010, pp. 562-574. DOI: 10.2514/1.42368 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.42368