- Volume 13 Issue 3
The Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) system is a key component of CNS/ATM recommended by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) as the next generation air traffic control system. ADS-B broadcasts identification, positional data, and operation information of an aircraft to other aircraft, ground vehicles and ground stations in the nearby region. This paper explores the ADS-B based trajectory prediction and the conflict detection algorithm. The multiple-model based trajectory prediction algorithm leads accurate predicted conflict probability at a future forecast time. We propose an efficient and accurate algorithm to calculate conflict probability based on approximation of the conflict zone by a set of blocks. The performance of proposed algorithms is demonstrated by a numerical simulation of two aircraft encounter scenarios.
Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B);interacting multiple model;trajectory prediction;conflict detection;conflict probability
- ICAO, Global Air Navigation Plan for CNS/ATM Systems, 2nd ed., DOC 9750 AA/693, 2002.
- RTCA, Minimum Aviation System Performance Standards, DO-242A, 2002.
- Bar-Shalom, Y., Rong L, X., and Kirubarajan, T., Estimation with Applications to Tracking and Navigation, Wiley, New York, 2001.
- Mazor, E., Averbuch, A., Bar-Shalom, Y., and Dayan, J., "Interacting multiple model methods in target tracking: a survey", IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.34, No.1, 1998, pp.103-123. DOI: 10.1109/7.64026 https://doi.org/10.1109/7.64026
- Hwang, I., Balakrishnan, H., and Tomlin, C., "State estimation for hybrid systems: applications to aircraft tracking", IEE Proceedings- Control Theory and Applications, Vol.153, No.5, 2006, pp. 556- 566. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cta:20050053
- Kuchar, J.K., and Yang, L.C., "A review of conflict detection and resolution modeling methods", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.1, No.4, 2000, pp.179-189. DOI: 10.1109/6979.898217 https://doi.org/10.1109/6979.898217
- Chatterji, G. B., "Short-Term Trajectory Prediction Methods", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Portland, OR, 1999.
- Innocenti, M., and Pollini, L., "Spatial Trajectory Generation for Conflict Avoidance in Air Traffic Management", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Denver, CO, 2000.
- Paielli, R., and Erzberger. H., "Conflict Probability Estimation for Free Flight", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 20, No.3, 1997, pp.588-596. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4081
- Hwang, I., and Seah. C.E., "Intent-Based Probabilistic Conflict Detection for the Next Generation Air Transportation System", Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 96, No.12, 2008, pp.2040-2059 DOI: 10.1109/JPROC.2008.2006138 https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2008.2006138
- Yang, L., Yang, J., Kuchar, J., and Feron, E., "A Real-Time Monte Carlo Implementation for Computing Probability of Conflict", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Providence, RI, 2004.
- Daalen, C., and Jones, T., "Fast Conflict Detection using Probability Flow", Automatica, Vol.45, No.9, 2009, pp.1903-1909. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2009.04.010