- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characterization and comparison of the pathogenicity of viscerotropic velogenic Newcastle disease virus isolates in Korea
- Kim, Jae-Hong (Laboratory of Avian Diseases, Research Institute for Veterinary Science, College of Veterinary Medicine,Seoul National University) ;
- Sung, Haan-Woo (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Il-Hwan (Laboratory of Avian Diseases, Research Institute for Veterinary Science, College of Veterinary Medicine,Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Eun-Kyoung (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- Choi, Kang-Seuk (Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency) ;
- King, Daniel Jack (Southeast Poultry Research Laboratory, USDA-ARS)
- Received : 2012.10.12
- Accepted : 2012.10.19
- Published : 2012.12.31
A total of 18 Newcastle disease virus (NDV) isolates that were recovered from 1949 through 1997 were characterized and pathotyped. All viruses were highly virulent as determined by intracerebral pathogenicity indices
- Lee YJ, Sung HW, Choi JG, Kim JH, Song CS. Molecular epidemiology of Newcastle disease viruses isolated in South Korea using sequencing of the fusion protein cleavage site region and phylogenetic relationships. Avian Pathol 2004, 33, 482-491. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079450400003700
- Marin MC, Villegas P, Bennett JD, Seal BS. Virus characterization and sequence of the fusion protein gene cleavage site of recent Newcastle disease virus field isolates from the southeastern United States and Puerto Rico. Avian Dis 1996, 40, 382-390. https://doi.org/10.2307/1592236
- McFerran JB, McCracken RM. Newcastle disease. In: Alexander DJ (ed.). Newcastle Disease. 1st ed. pp. 161- 183, Kluwer Academic, Boston, 1988.
- Page RD. TreeView: An application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput Appl Biosci 1996, 12, 357-358.
- Park KS. Epizootiological study on the outbreaks of Newcastle disease in Korea. Korean J Poult Sci 1979, 6, 38-46.
- Srinivasappa GB, Snyder DB, Marquardt WW, King DJ. Isolation of a monoclonal antibody with specificity for commonly employed vaccine strains of Newcastle disease virus. Avian Dis 1986, 30, 562-567.
- Thompson JD, Gibson TJ, Plewniak F, Jeanmougin F, Higgins DG. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res 1997, 25, 4876-4882. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/25.24.4876
- Hodder AN, Liu ZY, Selleck PW, Corino GL, Shiell BJ, Grix DC, Morrow CJ, Gorman JJ. Characterization of field isolates of Newcastle disease virus using antipeptide antibodies. Avian Dis 1994, 38, 103-118. https://doi.org/10.2307/1591843
- Jungherr EL, Tyzzer EE, Brandly CA, Moses HE. The comparative pathology of fowl plague and Newcastle disease. Am J Vet Res 1946, 7, 250-288.
- Kim JH, Song CS. Consideration of cause of recent severe outbreaks of Newcastle disease in Korea and a brief review of virological differences, serological diagnosis and administration of a vaccine. Korean J Poult Sci 1992, 19, 65-76.
- King DJ. Influence of chicken breed on pathogenicity evaluation of velogenic neurotropic Newcastle disease virus isolates from cormorants and turkeys. Avian Dis 1996, 40, 210-217. https://doi.org/10.2307/1592391
- King DJ, Seal BS. Biological and molecular characterization of Newcastle disease virus isolates from surveillance of live bird markets in the northeastern United States. Avian Dis 1997, 41, 683-689. https://doi.org/10.2307/1592161
- King DJ, Seal BS. Biological and molecular characterization of Newcastle disease virus (NDV) field isolates with comparisons to reference NDV strains. Avian Dis 1998, 42, 507-516. https://doi.org/10.2307/1592677
- Lana DP, Snyder DB, King DJ, Marquardt WW. Characterization of a battery of monoclonal antibodies for differentiation of Newcastle disease virus and pigeon paramyxovirus-1 strains. Avian Dis 1988, 32, 273-281. https://doi.org/10.2307/1590814
- Lancaster JE. Diagnosis of Newcastle disease. Vet Bulletin 1963, 33, 347-360.
- Lancaster JE. Newcastle disease - pathogenesis and diagnosis. Worlds Poult Sci J 1981, 37, 26-33. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19810003
- Alexander DJ. Newcastle disease in countries of the European Union. Avian Pathol 1995, 24, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459508419045
- Alexander DJ. Newcastle disease and other avian Paramyxoviridae infections. In: Calnek BW, Barnes HJ, Beard CW, McDougald LR, Saif YM (eds.). Diseases of Poultry. 10th ed. pp. 541-569, Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1997.
- Alexander DJ, Manvell RJ, Lowings JP, Frost KM, Collins MS, Russell PH, Smith JE. Antigenic diversity and similarities detected in avian paramyxovirus type 1 (Newcastle disease virus) isolates using monoclonal antibodies. Avian Pathol 1997, 26, 399-418. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459708419222
- Alexander DJ. Newcastle disease. In: Purchase HG, Arp LH, Domermuth CH, Pearson JE (eds.). A Laboratory Manual for the Isolation and Identification of Avian Pathogens. 3rd ed. pp. 114-120, American Association of Avian Pathologists, Kennett Square, 1989.
- Alexander DJ. The epidemiology and control of avian influenza and Newcastle disease. J Comp Pathol 1995, 112, 105-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9975(05)80054-4
- Beard CW, Hanson RP. Newcastle disease. In: Hofstad MS, Barns HJ, Calnek BW, Reid WM, Yoder HW Jr. (eds.). Disease of Poultry. 8th ed. pp. 452-470, Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1984.
- Brown C, King DJ, Seal BS. Pathogenesis of Newcastle disease in chickens experimentally infected with viruses of different virulence. Vet Pathol 1999, 36, 125-132. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.36-2-125
- Campbell RSF. The pathogenesis and pathology of avian respiratory infections. Vet Bulletin 1986, 56, 521-543.
- Cheville NF, Stone H, Riley J, Ritchie AE. Pathogenesis of virulent Newcastle disease in chickens. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1972, 161, 169-179.
- Choi KS. Characterization of Korean isolates of Newcastle disease virus. Ph.D dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul, 1994.
- Collins MS, Strong I, Alexander DJ. Evaluation of the molecular basis of pathogenicity of the variant Newcastle disease viruses termed "pigeon PMV-1 viruses". Arch Virol 1994, 134, 403-411. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01310577
- Collins MS, Strong I, Alexander DJ. Pathogenicity and phylogenetic evaluation of the variant Newcastle disease viruses termed "pigeon PMV-1 viruses" based on the nucleotide sequence of the fusion protein gene. Arch Virol 1996, 141, 635-647. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01718322
- Hamid H, Campbell RSF, Parede L. Studies of the pathology of velogenic Newcastle disease: Virus infection in non-immune and immune birds. Avian Pathol 1991, 20, 561-575. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459108418796
- Hanson RP. Newcastle disease. In: Hitchner SB, Domermuth CH, Purchase HG, Williams JE (eds.). Isolation and Identification of Avian Pathogens. 2nd ed. pp. 63-66, American Association of Avian Pathologists, College Station, 1980.
- Hanson RP. Heterogeneity within strains of Newcastle disease virus: key to survival. In: Alexander DJ (ed.). Newcastle Disease. 1st ed. pp. 113-130, Kluwer Academic, Boston, 1988.
- Hanson RP, Spalatin J, Jacobson GS. The viscerotropic pathotype of Newcastle disease virus. Avian Dis 1973, 17, 354-361. https://doi.org/10.2307/1589219