- Volume 12 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Aesthetic Expansion from Information Visualization to Performance : Research on Sensorium in Perspective of Audience
정보시각화에서 퍼포먼스로의 미학적 확장 : 관객시각에서 하이퍼매개센소리엄 요소 고찰
- Received : 2012.08.06
- Accepted : 2012.09.17
- Published : 2012.10.28
This study will research the possibility about the extension from aesthetic artwork of information visualization to performance area. In information visualization fields, the function of transmitting information is important factor. In addition, the relationship with the audience concerning immersion and interactivity is also significant. Therefore, if an artwork in information visualization can extend to a performance, this study proposes that it is necessary to consider what elements are needed to intensify sensorium for the audience in that artwork. In order to solve that question, this study introduces and analyzes the installation artworks by Ben Rubin and Mark hansen in 2001. From this case study, we suggest three elements-the performing self, the performing interface and the dramatic pattern-to amplify sensorium by hypermediacy for the audience. This research would contribute to the understanding aesthetic artworks based on information visualization in terms of performing arts.
Media Art;Information Visualization;Performing Art;Hypermediacy;Sensorium
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- A. Lau and A. Vande Moere, "Towards a Model of Information Aesthetic Visualization," IEEE International Conference on Information Visualisation (IV'07), IEEE, Zurich, Switzerland, pp.87-92, 2007.
- E. S. Kim, J. S. Yoon, "Contingent rule: Information aesthetic, performance and hypermediacy," LEONARDO JOURNAL Vol.44, Issue 3, pp.286-287, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1162/LEON_a_00193
- J. D. Bolter and R. Grusin, Remediation Understanding New Media, The MIT Press, pp.33-34, 2000.
- Freda Chapple and Chiel Kattenbelt eds., Inter-mediality in Theatre and Performance, Third Edi-tion (Amsterdam; New York:Rodopi), pp.55-65, 2007.
- C. A. Jones (EDT), Sensorium : Embodied Experience, Technology, And Contemporary Art, MIT Press, p.2, 2006.
- Casey Reas and Ben Fry, Processing: a programming handbook for visual designers and artists, The MIT Press, pp516-517, 2007.
- Steve Dixon, Digital Performance : A history of New Media in Theater, Dance, Performance Art, and Installation, The MIT Press, pp.211-220, 2007.
- Van Dusek, Philosophy of Technology: An Introduction, (Malden, MA: Blackwell), pp.207-210, 2006.
- 이중원, 홍성욱 저, 필로 테크놀로지를 말한다, 해나무, pp130-142, 2005.
- 레프 마노비치 지음, 서정신 역, 뉴미디어의 언어, 생각의 나무, pp.123-128, 2004.
- S. Asur and B. A. Huberman, "Predicting the Future with Social Media," arXiv:1003.5699v1, 2010.
- Victoria Vesna, Database Aesthetics : Art in the age of Information Overflow, The University of Minnesota Press, pp.101-104, 2007.