- Volume 12 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluations of the Accuracy and Reliability of Measurements Made on White Light Scanner-based Dental Digital Models
백색광 스캐너로 채득된 치과용 디지털모형의 정확도와 신뢰도 평가
- Received : 2012.07.11
- Accepted : 2012.09.19
- Published : 2012.10.28
Dental scanner-based dental digital models have been developed that have the potential to replace conventional stone model. The aim of this study was examine the accuracy and reliability of measurements made on digital models. A master model with the prepared upper full arch tooth was used. Stone model(N=10) were produced from master model, and on the other hands, digital models were made with the white light scanner(Identica, korea). One examiner individually measured 6 parameters on the conventional model and the digital models on two occasions. The student's t-test for paired samples and intra-class correlation coefficient(ICC) were used for statistical analysis. At the intra-examiner reliability of measurement, ICC at the stone and digital models were 0.75 and 0.87. The mean difference between measurements made directly on the stone models and those made on the digital models was 0.11-0.23mm, and was statistically significant(P<0.05). These in vitro studies show that accuracy of the digital model is similar to that of the stone model. These results will have to be confirmed in further clinical studies.
Dental Digital Model;White Light Scanner;Accuracy;Reliability
- T. Miyazaki, Y. Hotta, J. Kunii, S. Kuriyama, and Y. Tamaki, "A review of dental CAD/CAM: current status and future perspectives from 20 years of experience," Dent Mater J, Vol.28, No.1, pp.44-56, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.28.44
- E. D. Rekow, "High-technology innovations and limitations for restorative dentistry," Dent Clin North Am, Vol.37, No.2, pp.513-524, 1993.
- G. J. Christensen, "Impressions are changing: deciding on conventional, digital or digital plus in-office milling," J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.140, No.6, pp.1301-1304, 2009. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2009.0054
- K. B. May, M. M. Russell, M. E. Razzoog, and B. R. Lang, "Precision of fit:the Procera AllCeram crown," J Prosthet Dent, Vol.80, No.2, pp.394-404, 1993.
- A. Mehl, W. Gloger, K. H. Kunzelmann, and R. Hickel, "A new optical 3D device for the detection of wear," J Dent Res, Vol.76, No.5, pp.1799-1807, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345970760111201
- H. Rudolph, "Computer-aided analysis of the influence of digitizing and surfacing on the accuracy in dental CAD/CAM technology," Computer in biology and medicine, Vol.37, No.6, pp.579-587, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiomed.2006.05.006
- T. Kuroda, N. Motohashi, R. Tominaga, and K. Iwata, "Three-dimensional dental cast analyzing system using laser scanning," Am J Orthod, Vol.110, No.1, pp.365-369, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(96)70036-7
- N. Motohashi, and T. Kuroda, "A 3D computer -aided design system applied to diagnosis and treatment planning in orthodontics and orthognathic surgery," European J Orthod, Vol.21, No.3, pp.263-274, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/21.3.263
- E. A. Tsitrou, S. E. Northeast, and N. R. Van, "Evaluation of the marginal fit of three margin designs of resin composite crowns using CAD/CAM," J Dent, Vol.35, No.1, pp.68-73, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2006.04.008
- A. Bindl and W. H. Mörmann, "Clinical and SEM evaluation of all-ceramic chair-side CAD/CAM generated partial crowns," Eur J Oral Sci, Vol.111, No.2, pp.163-169, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0722.2003.00022.x
- M. Santoro, S. Galkin, M. Teredesai, O. F. Nicolay, and T. J. Cangialosi, "Comparison of measurements made on digital and plaster models," Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop, Vol.124, No.1, pp.101-105, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(03)00152-5
- O. Zilberman, J. A. Huggare, and K. A. Parikakis, "Evaluation of the validity of tooth size and arch width measurements using conventional and three - dimensional virtual orthodontic models," Angle Orthod, Vol.73, No.3, pp.301-306, 2003.
- M. L. Quimby, K. W. Vig, R. G. Rashid, and A. R. Firestone, "The accuracy and reliability of measurements made on computer-based digital models," Angle Orthod, Vol.74, No.2, pp.298-303, 2004.
- B. Creed, H. K. Chung, D. E. Jeryl, J. X. James, and A. Lee, "Comparison of the accuracy of linear measurement obtained from cone beam computerized tomography images and digital models," Semin Orthod, Vol.17, No.2, pp.49-56, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sodo.2010.08.010
- J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, "Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement," Int J Nurs Stud, Vol.47, No.3, pp.931-936, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.10.001
- R. G. Luthard, A. Weber, H. Rudolph, S. Quaas, and M. Walter, "Design and production of dental prosthetic restoration: basic research on dental CAD/CAM technology," Int J Comput Dent, Vol.5, No.3, pp.165-176, 2009.
- R. Delong, M. Heinzen, J. S. Hodges, C. C. Ko, and W. H. Douglas, "Accuracy of a system for creating 3D computer models of dental arches," J Dent Res, Vol.90, No.1, pp.434-440, 2003.
- L. K. Lin, "A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility," Biometrics, Vol.45, No.3, pp.255-268, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/2532051
- J. Asquith, T. Gillgrass, and P. Mossey, "Three-dimensional imaging of orthodontic models: a pilot study," Eur J Orthod, Vol.29, No.5, pp.517-522, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/cjm044
- Suggestions on the Model of Exporting Strategy for the Overseas Dental Prosthetic Restoration Service vol.13, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.07.333