- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Coding Efficiency Improvement By Applying Rate-Distortion Optimization To 3D-DCT Based Integral Image Compression Method
3D-DCT 기반 집적영상 압축 방법의 율-왜곡 최적화를 통한 부호화 효율 향상 방법
- Received : 2012.07.27
- Accepted : 2012.08.21
- Published : 2012.09.28
In this paper, we propose a rate-distortion optimization method to improve the coding efficiency of the conventional 3D-DCT based compression method using adaptive block mode selection for integral images. In the conventional 3D-DCT based compression method, 3D-DCT blocks of variable block sizes are adaptively selected depending on the characteristics of integral images, and then 3D-DCT is performed. The proposed method applies a rate-distortion optimization to determine the optimal block mode. In addition, we suggest the optimal Lagrangian parameter for integral images. Experimental results show that the proposed method gives bit-rate reduction of about 5%.
Supported by : 충북대학교
- T. Okoshi, Three dimensional imaging techniques, Academic Press, 1976.
- N. Davies and M. McCormick, "Holoscopic imaging with true 3D-content in full natural colour," J. Phot. Science, Vol.40, pp 46-49, 1992.
- N. Davies, M. McCormick, and M. Brewin, "Design and analysis of an image transfer system using microlens arrays," Opt. Eng., Vol.33, No.11, pp.3624-3633, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.181580
- F. Okano, H. Hoshino, J. Arai, and I. Yuyama, "Real-time pickup method for a three-dimensional image based on integral photography," Appl. Opt. Vol.36, pp.1598-1603, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.36.001598
- F. Okano, H. Hoshino, J. Arai, and I. Yuyama, "Three-dimensional video system based on integral photography," Opt. Eng. Vol.38, pp.1072-1077, 1997.
- S. A. Benton, ed., Selected Papers on Three-Dimensional Displays, SPIE Optical Engineering Press, Bellingham, WA., 2001.
- D. H. McMahon and H. J. Caulfield, "A technique for producing wide-angle holographic displays," Appl. Opt. Vol.9, pp.91-96, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.9.000091
- T. Okoshi, "Three-dimensional displays," in Proceedings of IEEE Vol.68, pp.548-564, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1980.11695
- G. Lippmann, "La photographic integral," C. R. Acad. Sci. Vol.146, pp.446-451, 1908.
- C. B. Burckhardt, "Optimum parameters and resolution limitation of integral photography," J. Opt. Soc. Am. Vol.58, pp.71-76, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.58.000071
- Y. H. Jang, C. Park, J. H. Park, N. Kim, and K. H. Yoo, "Parallel Processing for Integral Imaging Pickup using Mutliple Threads," International Journal of Contents, Vol.5, No.4, pp.30-34, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2009.5.4.030
- S. Yeom, A. Stern, and B. Javidi, "Compression of 3D color integral images," Opt. Express Vol.12, pp.1632-1642, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.12.001632
- N. Sgouros, I. Kontaxakis, and M. Sangriotis, "Effect of different traversal schemes in integral image coding," Appl. Opt. Vol.47, pp.28-37, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.47.000D28
- E. Elharar, A. Stern, and O. Hadar, "A Hybrid Compression Method for Integral Images Using Discrete Wavelet Transform and Discrete Cosine Transform," Journal of display technology, Vol.3, No.3, 2007.
- A. Aggoun and M. Tabit, "Data compression of integral images for 3D TV," 3DTV Conference, pp.1-4, 2007.
- J. I. Jeon and H. S. Kang, "Enhanced three -dimensional discrete cosine transform based compression method for integral images by adaptive three-dimensional block construction," Applied Optics, Vol.29, No.30, pp.5728-5735, 2010(10).
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini and G. J. Sullian, "Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards," IEEE Trans. Circuits System for Video Technology, Vol.13, No.7, pp.688-703, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.815168
- T. Wiegand and B. Girod, "Lagrange multiplier selection in hybrid video coder control," IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Vol.3, pp.542-545, 2001.