- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Comparing the Application of IMC in Korean Television Advertising across Product Type
IMC 관점에서 국내 TV광고의 내용분석 -제품유형별 차이를 중심으로-
- 강경수 (동명대학교 광고홍보학과)
- Received : 2012.07.27
- Accepted : 2012.08.27
- Published : 2012.09.28
This study examined the degree to which integrated marketing communication(IMC) might be manifested in South Korean television advertising. Using a framework by Nowak and Phelps(1994), this study investigated the degree of IMC utilization by service organizations and physical goods manufacturers at the advertisement level. The Result showed that 44.6% of the television ads were classified as integrated marketing communication according to criteria discussed by Nowak and Phelps(1994). More specifically, approximately 90.7% of the integrated ads achieved this status by using two communication tools of different orientations. In addition, the most common form of IMC at this lowest level consisted of an image-oriented(brand advertising) and a behavior-oriented(direct response) communication tool. The second common form of IMC, that is, 9.3%, used three different communication tools; they consisted of an image-oriented tool(brand advertising) and the two behavior-oriented(i.e., direct response and sales promotion) communication tools. Nothing of the magazine ads used all four tools. Thus, South Korean television ads exhibited higher degrees of IMC which tended to include more behavior-oriented communication tools than image-oriented communication tools. These results indicate that much higher chances for advertisers to expand the level of IMC will be existed. Furthermore, the results suggest that significantly higher as well as a wider variety of communication tools are being used by advertisers, considering the limit of samples investigated in this research.
Integrated Marketing Communication(IMC);IMC at the Tactical;Television Ads;Product Type;Physical goods Ads;Service Ads
Supported by : 동명대학교
- 강경수, "국내 신문광고에 나타난 제품유형별 IMC 적용정도의 차이에 관한 연구", 광고연구, 제89권, pp.313-346, 2011.
- 유승관.박창희.홍종배, "시청자참여프로그램 내용분석 연구", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제1호, pp.146-153, 2012.
- B. Berelson, Content Analysis in Communication Research, Glencoe, IL: Free Press, 1952.
- L. Carlson, S. J. Grove, and N. Kangun, "A content analysis of environment advertising claims: A market method approach," Journal of Advertising, Vol.22, No.3, pp.27-39, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1993.10673409
- L. Carlson, S. J. Grove, and M. J. Dorsch, "Services Advertising and Integrated Marketing Communications: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, Vol.25, No.2, pp.69-82, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641734.2003.10505150
- J. P. Cornelissen and A. R. Lock, "Theoretical Concept or Management Fashion? Examining the Significance of IMC," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.40, No.5, pp.7-15, 2000.
- T. Duncan and S. E. Moriarty, Driving Brand Value: Using Integrated Marketing to Manage Profitable Stakeholder Relationship, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- T. Duncan, "IMC in Industry: More Talk Than Walk," Journal of Advertising, Vol.34, No.4, pp.5-6, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2005.10639193
- L. C. Eagle and P. J. Kitchen, "IMC, Brand Communications, and Corporate Cultures: Client/Advertising Agency Co-Ordination and Cohesion," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.34, No.5-6, pp.667-686, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560010321983
- S. J. Grove, L. Carlson, and M. J. Dorsch, "Addressing Services' Intangibility Through Integrated Marketing Communication: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Services Marketing, Vol.16, No.5, pp.393-411, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040210436876
- S. J. Grove, L. Carlson, and M. J. Dorsch, "Comparing the Application of Integrated Marketing Communication(IMC) in Magazine Ads Across Product Type and Time," Journal of Advertising, Vol.36, No.1, pp.37-54, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367360103
- O. R. Holsti, Content Analysis for the Social Sciences and Humanities, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1969.
- H. H. Kassarjian, "Content Analysis in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.4, No.1, pp.8-18, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1086/208674
- P. J. Kitchen, J. Brignell, T. Li, and G. S. Jones, "The Emergence of IMC: A Theoretical Perspective," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.44, No.1, pp.19-30, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021849904040048
- P. J. Kitchen and D. E. Schultz, "A Multi-Country Comparison of the Drive for IMC," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.39, No.1, pp.21-38, 1999.
- K. Kondo and C. L. Caywood, "IMC as an Innovation: Toward A Theory of Integrated Marketing," Paper presented at AAA, Asia-Pacific, Brisbane, 2011.
- D. H. Lee and C. W. Park, "Conceptualization and Measurement of Multidimensionality of Integrated Marketing Communications," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.47, No.3, pp.222-236, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0021849907070274
- D. N. McArthur and T. A. Griffin, "Marketing Management View of Integrated Marketing Communications," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.37, No.5, pp.19-27, 1997.
- S. Moriarty and D. Schultz, "The Evolution of IMC Theory," Paper resented at AAA, Asia-Pacific, Brisbane, 2011.
- G. J. Nowak and J. Phelps, "Conceptualizing the Integrated Marketing Communications' Phenomenon: An Examination of its Impact on Advertising Practices and its Implications for Advertising Research," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, Vol.16, No.1, pp.49-66, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641734.1994.10505012
- J. W. Peltier, J. A. Schibrowsky, and D. E. Schultz, "Interactive Integrated Marketing Communication: Combining the Power of IMC, The New Media and Database Marketing," International Journal of Advertising, Vol.22, No.1, pp.93-115, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2003.11072841
- J. Phelps, J. Plumley, and E. Johnson, "Integrated Marketing Communications: Who is Doing What?," Abstract in the Proceedings of the American Academy of Advertising, Karen Whitehall King (ed.), pp.143-145, 1994.