- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Some Characteristics of Service Provider on Trust and Loyalty in Services Setting
서비스제공자의 특성이 신뢰와 충성도에 미치는 영향
- 최철재 (단국대학교 경상대학 경영학부)
- Received : 2012.07.23
- Accepted : 2012.09.18
- Published : 2012.09.28
The purpose of this paper is to explain and identify how services offer-related characteristics of services providers such as service competence, reliability, and responsiveness have an effect on cognitive trust and customization characteristics of services providers has influences on affective trust. And it is to explain and identify how cognitive trust has an effects on affective trust and loyalty, and how affective trust has influence on loyalty in services setting such as apparel services of search attribute, hair services of experience attribute, and dental services of credence attribute. A survey study was conducted to collect the data with consumers who have experience purchase or search on services in apparel services, hair services, and dental services. Analysis of structural equation modeling with AMOS 18 and SPSS win 19.0 was performed to test the research hypothesis. The results of the study are as follows: First, responsiveness characteristics of service providers has an effect on cognitive trust, which in turn influences on affective trust. But there was on effect on customer loyalty by cognitive trust and affective trust in apparel service setting. Second, service competence characteristics and reliability characteristics of service providers have effect on cognitive trust, and customization characteristics of service providers has influences on affective trust, and then both of them, in turn, was effect on customer loyalty in hair service setting. Third, reliability characteristics of service providers has effects on cognitive trust and customization characteristics of service providers has influences on affective trust, and then cognitive trust has effects on customer loyalty, but there was no effects on affective trust by customer loyalty.
Service Competence;Reliability;Responsiveness;Customization;Cognitive Trust;Affective Trust;Customer Loyalty
Supported by : 단국대학교
- 통계청, 2009년도 기준 서비스업 조사 보고서, 2012.
- 통계청, 2008년도 기준 서비스업 조사 보고서, 2012.
- C. Lovelock and J. Wirtz, Services Marketing, 7th eds. Global Edition: Pearson, 2011.
- M. L. Dertouzos, R. K. Lester, and R. M. Solow, Made in America: Regaining the Productive Edge, Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1989.
- F. R. Dwyer, P. H. Schurr, and S. Oh, "Developing Buyer-Seller Relationships," J. of Marketing, Vol.51, pp.11-27, 1987(8). https://doi.org/10.2307/1251126
- Z. Schiller, "Goodyear Is Gunning: Its Marketing Engine," Business Weeks, Vol.16, p.42, 1992(3).
- G. R. Massey and E. Kyriazis, "Interpersonal Trust between Marketing and R&D during New Product Development Projects," European J. of Marketing, Vol.41, No.9/10, pp.1146-1172, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710773381
- D. Johnson and K. Grayson, "Cognitive and Affective Trust in Service Relationships," J. of Business Research, Vol.58, pp.500-507, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00140-1
- K. S. Coulter and R. A. Coulter, "Determinants of Trust in a Service Provider: the Moderating Role of Length of Relationship," J. of Services Marketing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.35-50, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040210419406
- C. Sichtmann, "An Analysis of Antecedents and Consequences of Trust in a Corporate Brand," European J. of Marketing, Vol.41, No.9/10, pp.999-1015, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710773318
- J. C. Anderson and J. A. Narus, "A Model of Distributor Firm and Manufacturer Firm Working Partnerships," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, January, pp.42-58, 1990.
- V. A. Zeithaml, How Consumer Processes differ between Goods and Services, Prentice-Hall, 1991.
- P. Nelson, "Information and Consumer Behavior," J. of Polit Economy, Vol.78, pp.311-329, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1086/259630
- P. Nelson, "Advertising as Information", J. of Polit Economy, Vol.84, pp.729-754, 1974.
- Y. Hsieh, H. Chiu and M. Chiang, "Maintaining a Commited Online Customer: A Study across Search-Experience-Credence Products," J. of Retailing, Vol.81, No.1, pp.75-82, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2005.01.006
- G. Ford, D. Smith, and L. John, "Consumer Skepticism of Advertising Claims: Testing Hypothesis from Economics of Information," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.16, No.4, pp.433-441, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1086/209228
- P. Kotler, Marketing Management, 13th ed., Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2009.
- K. B. Murry and J. L. Schlacter, "The Impact of Services versus Goods on Consumers' Assessment of Perceived Risk and Variability," J. of The Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.18, pp. 51-55, 1990(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02729762
- A. S. Gill, A. B. Flaschner, and M. Shachar, "Factors that Affect the Trust of Business Clients in their Banks," International J. of Bank Marketing, Vol.24, No.6, pp.384-405, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320610701726
- C. Moorman, R. Deshpande, and G. Zaltman, "Relationships between Providers and Users of Market Research: the Dymanics of Trust within and between Organizations," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.29, No.3, pp.3-15, 1992.
- R. Lewicki and J. Rubin, "Trust in Relationships: a Model of Trust Development and Decline," in B. Bunker and J Rubin(Eds.), Conflict, Co-operation and Justice, Jocssey-Bass, San Francisco, CA, pp.133-173, 1995.
- A. Parasuraman, A. Valarie, L. Zeithaml, and L. Berry, "A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implication for Future Research," J. of Marketing, Fall, pp.41-50, 1985.
- S. Ganesan, "Determinants of Long-Term Orientation in Buyer-Seller Relationships," J. of Marketing, Vol.58, No.2, pp.1-19, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252265
- N. Kumar, L. K. Scheer, and J. E. Steenkamp, "The Effects of Perceived Independence on Dealer Attitudes," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.32, pp.348-356, 1995(8) https://doi.org/10.2307/3151986
- P. M Doney and J. P. Cannon, "An Examination of the Nature of Trust in Buyer-Seller Relationships, J. of Marketing, Vol.61, pp.35-51, 1997(4). https://doi.org/10.2307/1251829
- A. Lindgreen, "Trust as a Valuable Strategic Variable in the Food Industry: Different Types of Trust and their Implementation," British Food J. Vol.105, No.6, pp.310-327, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700310481694
- L. A. Crosby, K. R. Evans, and D. Cowles, "Relationship Quality in Services Selling: an Interpersonal Influence Perspective," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, pp.68-81, 1990(7). https://doi.org/10.2307/1251817
- C. Gronroos, Service Management and Marketing: Managing the Moment of Truth in Service Competition, Lexington MA: Lexington Books, 1990.
- M. Sako, Prices, Quality and Trust: Interfirm Relations in Britain and Japan, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- D. Johnson and K. Grayson, "Sources and Dimensions of Trust in Service Relations," in T. A. Swartz, and D. Laccobucci(Eds), Services Marketing and Management, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1999.
- R. Dahlstrom and A. Nygaard, "An Exploratory Investigation of Interpersonal Trust in New and Mature Market Economies," J. of Retailing, Vol.71, No.4, pp.339-361, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(95)90018-7
- S. Ganesan and R. Hess, "Dimensions and Levels of Trust: Implications for Commitment to a Relationship," Marketing Letters, Vol.8, No.4, pp.439-448, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007955514781
- R. L. Oliver, " Whence Customer Loyalty?," J. of Marketing, Vol.63, pp.33-44, 1999.
- T. Jones and Taylor, "The Nature and Dimensionality of Service Quality: How Many Dimensions?," J. of Services Marketing, Vol.27, No.1, pp.36-51, 2007.
- T. Jones and Taylor, "Service Loyalty: Accounting for Social Capital," J. of Services Marketing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.60-74, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876041211199733
- S. Hong and Y. J. James Goo, "A Causal Model of Customer Loyalty in Professional Service Firms: An Empirical Study," International J. of Management, Vol.21, No.4, pp.531-540, 2004.
- A. Dick and K. Basu, "Customer Loyalty: toward an Integrated Conceptual Framework," J. of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.22(Spring), pp.99-113, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394222001
- D. Wulf, G. Oderkerken-Schrὅder, and D. Iacobucci, "Investments in Consumer Relationships: a Cross-Country and Cross-Industry Exploration," J. of Marketing, Vol.65, pp.33-50, 2001(10). https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.19986
- C. F. Surprenant and M. R. Solomon, "Prediction and Personalzation in the Service Encounter," J. of Marketing, Vol.51, No.2, pp.19-35, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251245
- P. M. Doney, J. M. Barry, and R. Abratt, "Trust Determinants and Outcomes in Global B2B Services," European J. of Marketing, Vol.41, No9/10, pp.1096-1116, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710773363
- A. Zur, C. Leckie, and C. M. Webster, "Cognitive and Affective Trust Between Australian Exporters and their Overseas Buyers," Australasian Marketing J. Vol.20, pp.73-79, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2011.08.001
- J. B. Heide and A. M. Weiss, "Vendor Consideration and Switching Behavior for Buters in High Technology Markets," J. of Marketing, Vol.59, pp.30-43, 1995(7). https://doi.org/10.2307/1252117
- R. C. Mayer and J. H. Davis, "The Effect of Performance Appraisal System on Trust for Management: A Field Quasi-Experiment," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.84, No.1, pp.123-136, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.1.123
- M. Voeth and C. Rabe, "Industriegütermarken," in M. Bruth(Ed.), Handbuch Markenführung, 2nd ed, Weisbaden: Gabler, pp.75-94, 2004.
- G. Easton and L. Araujo, "Market Exchange, Social Structures, and Time," European J. of Marketing, Vol.28, No.3, pp.72-84, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569410057317
- A. Parasuraman, V. A. Zeithaml, and L, L. Berry, "SERVQUAL: Multiple-Item Scale for Measuring Consumer Perception of Service Quality," J. of Retailing, Vol.64, Spring, p.12-40, 1988.
- J. E. Scott, "Facilitating Interorganizational Learning with Information Technology," J. of Management Information System, Vol.17, pp.81-113, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1201/1078/43188.8.131.5200101/31218.11
- J. K. Lempel, J. G. Holmes, and M. P. Zanna, "Trust in Close Relationships," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.49, No.1, pp.95-112, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- A. H. Y. Hon and L. Lu, "The Mediating Role of Trust between Expatriate Procedural Justice and Employee Outcomes in Chinese Hotel Industry," International J. of Hospitality Management, Vol.29, No.4, pp.669-676, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2010.01.002
- S. Wang, E. C. Tomlinson, and R. A. Noe, "The Role of Mentor Trust and Protege Internal Locus of Control in Formal Mentoring Relationships," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.95 No.2, pp.358-367, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0017663
- J. D. Lewis and A. Weigert, "Trust as a Social Reality," Social Forces, Vol.63, pp.967-985, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/63.4.967
- K. Atuahene-Gima and H. Li, "When Does Trust Matter Antecedents and Contingent Effects of Supervisee Trust on Performance in Selling New Products in China and the United States," J. of Marketing, Vol.66, pp.61-81, 2002.
- R. M. Morgan and S. D. Hunt, "The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing," J. of Marketing, Vol.58, pp.20-38, 1994(7).
- P. M. Doney and J. P. Cannon, " "An Examination of the Nature of Trust in Buyer-Seller Relations," J. of Marketing, Vol61, pp.35-51, 1997(4). https://doi.org/10.2307/1251829
- A. Parkhe, "Strategic Alliance s Structuring: A Game Theoretic and Transaction Cost Examination of Inter-Firm Cooperation," Academy of Management J., Vol.36, No.4, pp.739-794, 1993.
- V. A. Zeithaml, L. L. Berry, and A. Parasuraman, "The Behavioral Consequences of Service Quality," J. of Marketing, Vol.60, No.2, pp.31-46, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251929
- P. Sun and C. Lin, "Building Customer Trust and Loyalty: An Empirical Study in a Retailing Context," The Services Industrial J., Vol.30, No.9, pp.1439-1455, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642060802621478
- D. Sirdeshmukh, J. Singh, and B. Sabol, "Consumer Trust, Value, and Loyalty in Relational Exchanges," J. of Marketing, Vol.66, No.1, pp.15-37, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1149