- Volume 12 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Impact of Enterprise R&D Investment on International Trade in Korea under the new Normal Era
뉴 노멀 시대하 한국기업의 R&D투자가 무역에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.07.11
- Accepted : 2012.09.05
- Published : 2012.09.28
The purpose of this study is to empirically examine the impact of enterprise R&D investment on international trade in Korea under the new Normal Era. In order to test whether the time series data of trade variables are stationary or not, we put in operation unit root test and cointegration test. Based on VECM (Vector Error Correction Model), we also apply impulse response functions and variance decomposition to estimate the dynamic effects in the short-run and long-run. The results show that the relationship between enterprise R&D investment and international trade (export and import) exists in the long-run as well as in the short-run. The results of applying impulse response functions and variance decomposition also indicate that the impact of enterprise R&D investment on international trade is positive, and a significant portion of fluctuations in the trade variable is explained by enterprise R&D investment. Therefore, enterprise R&D investment must be continuously increased to improve economic growth with promoting trading competition power in Korea under the new Normal Era.
Now Normal;R&D Investment;Vector Error Correction Model;Impulse Response;Variance Decomposition
- M. El-Erian, A New Normal (Secular Outlook), PIMCO. pp.1-8, 2009.
- G. Grossman and E. Helpman, Innovation and Growth in the Global Economy, MIT Press, 1991.
- K. Wakelin, "The Role of Innovation in Bilateral OECD Trade Performance," Applied Economics, Vol.30, pp.1335-13346, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/000368498324959
- 삼성경제연구소, 위기 이후 세계경제의 뉴 노멀, 2010.
- 김선재, "지식기반경제와 국민지적자본의 효율성: 한.미.일.중을 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제8권, 제10호, pp.158-171, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.10.158
- 김선재, 이영화, 임광혁, "인적자본형성으로서의 교육투자와 경제성장과의 관계: OECD 비영어권 국가들을 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제3호, pp.315-325, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.3.315
- G. Cameron, J. Proudman, and S. Redding, "Technology Transfer, R&D, Trade, and Productivity Growth," European Economic Review, Vol.49, pp.775-807, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2921(03)00070-9
- EC, The 2010 EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard, 2010.
- R. A. Salim and H. Bloch, "Business expenditures on R&D and trade performances in Australia: is there a link?," Applied Economics, Vol.41, No.3, pp.351-361, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840601007302
- C. W. J. Granger and P. Newbold, "Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Vol.2, pp.111-120, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(74)90034-7
- J. H. Stock and M. W. Watson, "Interpreting the Evidence in Money-Income Causality," Journal of Econometrics, Vol.40, pp.161-182, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(89)90035-3
- P. C. B. Phillips and P. Perron, "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Biometrika, Vol.75, pp.335-346, 1989.
- R. F. Engel and C. W. J. Granger, "Cointegration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, Vol.55, pp.251-276, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913236
- R. F. Engel and B. S. Yoo, "Forecasting and Testing in Co-integrated Systems", Journal of Econometrics, Vol.35, pp.143-159, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(87)90085-6
- S. Johansen, "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Methods," Econometrica, Vol.59, pp.1551-1580, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938278
- 통계청, KOSIS DB.(http://kosis.kr/).
- 한국은행, 경제통계시스템(ECOS). (http://ecos.bok.or.kr).
- 과학기술정책연구원, 통계브리프 2010-1, 2010.
- 한국산업기술진흥협회, 2010년도 기업의 연구개발투자 및 연구인력 동향과 전망, 2010.
- J. MacKinnon, "Critical Values for Cointegration Test," in Longrun Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration (Eds), R. F. Engle and C. W. J. Granger, Oxford University Press, New York, pp.267-77, 1991.
- S. Pantula, G. G. Gonzalez-Farias, and W. A. Fuller, "A Comparison of Unit-root Test Criteria", Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Vol.12, pp.449-459, 1994.