- Volume 41 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activities and Quality Characteristics of Mulberry Concentrate, Freeze-dried Mulberry, and Pomace
건오디, 건오디박, 오디 농축액의 품질특성 및 항산화성
- Jeon, Hye Lyun (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Hong, Yoon Pyo (Dept. of Herbal Crop Research, NIHHS, RDA) ;
- Lee, Ji Hyun (Dept. of Herbal Crop Research, NIHHS, RDA) ;
- Kim, Hyung Don (Dept. of Herbal Crop Research, NIHHS, RDA) ;
- Kim, Mee Ree (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- 전혜련 (충남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 홍윤표 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 이지현 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 김형돈 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 김미리 (충남대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2012.06.26
- Accepted : 2012.08.01
- Published : 2012.10.31
Mulberry pomace, a by-product obtained from mulberry juice, has not been utilized as food. In this study, antioxidant activities, proximate composition and physiochemical characteristics of mulberry pomace were evaluated and compared with those of mulberry fruit or mulberry concentrate. Mulberry fruit was pressed and filtered. The filtrate and residue were used as mulberry juice and mulberry pomace, respectively. Mulberry juice was evaporated, after which a concentrate (
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Kim SK. 1991. Beneficial medicine, mulberry fruit. In Bonchohak. Younglimsa, Seoul, Korea. p 598-605.
Heo SI, Jin YS, Jung MJ, Wang MH. 2007. Antidiabetic properties of 2,5-dihydroxy-4,3'-di(
$\beta$-D-glucopyranosyloxy)- trans-stilbene from mulberry (Morus bombycis koidzumi) root in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Med Food 10: 602-607. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2006.0241
- Kim SY, Park KJ, Lee WC. 1998. Antiinflammatory and antioxidative effects of Morus spp. fruit extract. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 6: 204-209.
- Kim HB, Kim SY, Ryu KS, Lee WC, Moon JY. 2001. Effect of methanol extract from mulberry fruit on the lipid metabolism and liver function in cholesterol-induced hyperlipidemia rats. Korean J Seri Sci 43: 104-108.
- Kim HB, Ryu KS. 2000. Sensory characteristics of mulberry fruit jam and wine. Korean J Seric Sci 42: 73-77.
- Kim MW, Kim AJ. 2007. The quality characteristics of mulberry fruit wine by two different manufacturing methods. Korean J Food & Nutr 20: 276-281.
- Havsteen B. 1983. Flavonoid, a class of natural products of high pharmacological potency. Biochem Pharmacol 32: 1141-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(83)90262-9
- Kim EO, Lee YJ, Leem HH, Seo IH, Yu MH, Kang DH, Choi SW. 2010. Comparison of nutritional and functional constituents, and physicochemical characteristics of mulberrys from seven different Morus alba L. cultivars. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1467-1475. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1467
- Lee HW, Shin DH, Lee WC. 1998. Morphological and chemical characteristics of mulberry (Morus) fruit with varieties. Korean J Seric Sci 40: 1-7.
- Ju MJ, Kwon JH, Kim HK. 2009. Physiological activities of mulberry leaf and fruit extracts with different extraction conditions. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 442-448.
- Cha WS, Shin HR, Park JH, OH SL. 2004. Antioxidant activity of phenol compounds from mulberry fruits. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 383-387.
- Kwon EH, Jang HS, Kim SW, Choi SW, Rhee SJ, Cho SH. 2007. Effects of mulberry juice and cake powders on blood glucose and lipid lowering and erythrocytic antioxidative enzyme activities in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Korean J Nutr 40: 199-210.
- Lee SB, Lee KH, Lee KS. 2008. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with mulberry extracts. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 805-811.
- Kang YS, Cho TO, Hong JS. 2009. Quality characteristics of Jeolpyon with added mulberry fruit powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 513-519.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arington, VA, USA.
- Korean Food Standards Codex. 2002. Korea Food & Drug Administration, Chungwon, Korea.
- Singleton VL, Rossi Jr JA. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitric 16: 144-158.
- Chae SK, Kang GS, Ma SJ, Bang KW, Oh MW, Oh SH. 2002. Standard food analysis. Jigumoonwhasa, Seoul, Korea. p 381-382.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Benzie IF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 239: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Nam HW, Hyun YH. 2003. Drying of citron juice from byproduct of citron tea manufacturing. Korean J Food & Nutr 16: 334-339.
- Kim EO, Yu MH, Lee YJ, Leem HH, Kim SA, Kang DH, Choi SW. 2010. Comparison of functional constituents and biological activity of the seed extracts from two mulberry fruits. J Food Sci Nutr 15: 98-104. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2010.15.2.098
- Jeong CH, Choi SG, Heo HJ. 2008. Analysis of nutritional components and evaluation of functional activities of Sasa borealis leaf tea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 586-592.
- Lee JY, Moon SO, Kwon YJ, Lee SJ, Park HR, Choi SW. 2004. Identification and quantification of anthocyanins and flavonoids in mulberry (Morus sp.) cultivars. Food Sci Biotechnol 13: 176-184.
- Rapisarda P, Tomaino A, Lo Cascio R, Bonina F, De Pasquale A, Saija A. 1999. Antioxidant effectiveness as influenced by phenolic content of fresh orange juices. J Agric Food Chem 47: 4718-4723. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990111l
- Kwon YJ, Rhee SJ, Chu JW, Choi SW. 2005. Comparison of radical scavenging activity of extracts of mulberry juice and cake prepared from mulberry (Morus spp.) fruit. J Food Sci Nutr 10: 111-117. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2005.10.2.111
- Hwang CR, Hwang IG, Kim HY, Kang TS, Kim YB, Joo SS, Lee JS, Jeong HS. 2011. Antioxidant component and activity of dropwort (Oenanther javanica) ethanol extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 316-320. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.316
- Van den Berg R, Haenen GRMM, van den Berg H, Bast A. 1999. Applicability of an improved trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay for evaluation of antioxidant capacity measurements of mixtures. Food Chem 66: 511-517. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00089-8
- Storage Quality Characteristics of Bread Added with Dried Mulberry Pomace vol.42, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1972
- Effects of Freeze-dried Mulberry on Antioxidant Activities and Fermented Characteristics of Yogurt during Refrigerated Storage vol.35, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.6.807
- Antioxidant Activities and Quality Characteristics of Bread Added with Dried Mulberry Pomace vol.29, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.6.769