- Volume 41 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Herbal Sports Drinks Containing Prunus mume Fruit Extract on the Plasma Lipid Profile and Endurance of Rats
매실을 첨가한 한방스포츠음료가 흰쥐의 혈중지질 및 운동수행력 증강에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Young Je (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jung, Un Ju (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Gee Dong (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Joongbu University) ;
- Choi, Myung-Sook (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University)
- 김영제 (경북대학교 생활과학대학 식품영양학과) ;
- 정운주 (경북대학교 생활과학대학 식품영양학과) ;
- 이기동 (중부대학교 관광보건대학 식품생명과학과) ;
- 최명숙 (경북대학교 생활과학대학 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2012.06.12
- Accepted : 2012.07.19
- Published : 2012.10.31
This study examined the effects of four herbal sports drinks containing Prunus mume, Liriope platyphylla, and Acanthopanax senticosus fruit extracts on body fat and endurance of rats trained by a progressive loaded exercise program. Forty male Sprague-Dawley rats (6 weeks old) were divided into five groups and fed experimental diets for 6 weeks according to the following protocol: C, exercise-trained control group (n=8); A, exercise group with Acanthopanax senticosus extract (n=8); L, exercise group with Liriope platyphylla extract (n=8); PA, exercise group with Prunus mune fruit extract plus Acanthopanax senticosus extract (n=8); PL, exercise group with Prunus mune fruit extract plus Liriope platyphylla extract (n=8). Endurance was measured by a progressive loaded exercise test using a treadmill. PA and PL supplementation significantly extended time to exhaustion compared to the control group (p<0.05). Further, the four herbal sports drinks all significantly reduced epididymal and interscapular white adipose tissue weights compared to the control group (p<0.05). Plasma triglyceride concentration was significantly lower in the A group compared to the control group. Plasma free fatty acid concentration was higher in the A group compared to the control group. On the other hand, Acanthopanax senticosus fruit extract supplementation tended to reduce the plasma glucose concentration compared to the control group. PA and PL supplementation significantly increased gastrocnemius muscle LDH activities compared to the control group (p<0.05). These results show that sports drink containing Acanthopanax senticosus improved endurance capacity, plasma lipids, and glucose concentrations. Sports drink with Prunus mume and Liriope platyphylla or Acanthopanax senticosus was synergistically improved endurance.
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Tomoda M, Kato S. 1996. Water-soluble carbohydrates of Ophiopogonis tuber. I. isolation and determination of monosaccharides and oligosaccharides. Syoyakugaku Zassi 20: 12-14.
- Back NI, Cho SJ, Bang MH, Lee LZ, Park CG, Kim MS, Kim KS, Sung JD. 1998. Cytotoxicity of steroid-saponins from the tuger of Liriope platyhylla W.T. Agric Chem Biotechnol 41: 390-384.
- Rhee IJ. 1997. Effect of Liriopis tuber extract on the decrease of blood glucose. Hoysung Bull Pharm Sci 2: 49-56.
- Tomoda M, Gonda R, Shimizu A, Kanari M. 1990. Areticuloendothelial system activating glycan from the barks of Eucommis ulmosdes. Phytochemistry 29: 3091-3094. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(90)80163-B
- Shibata M, Noguchi R, Suzuki M, Iwase H, Soeda K, Niwayama K, Kataoka E, Kusuda K, Hamano M. 1971. Parmacological studies on medicinal plant components on the extracts of Ophiopogon and some folk medicines. Proc J oshi Pharm 13: 66-76.
- Brekhman II, Dardymov IV. 1969. Pharmacological investigation of glycosides from ginseng and Eleutherococcus. Lloydia 32: 46-51.
- Martinez B, Staba EJ. 1984. The physiological effects of Aralia, Panax and Eleutherococcus on exercised rats. Jpn J Phamacol 35: 79-85.
- Kang HS, Kim YH, Lee CS, Lee JJ, Choi I, Pyun KH. 1996. Suppression of interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha production by acanthoic acid, (-)-pimara-9(11), 15-dien- 19-oic acid and its antifibrotic effects in vivo. Cell Immunol 170: 212-221. https://doi.org/10.1006/cimm.1996.0154
- Jeong HW, Rho YH, Lee GS, Kim GJ, Jeon BG. 2005. Experimental effects of Acanthopanacis Cortex extract on the immunity, anti-cancer and obesity in mice. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology 19: 389-397.
- Baranov AI. 1982. Medicinal use of ginseng and related plants in the Soviet Union: recent trends in the Soviet literature. J Ethnopharmacol 6: 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(82)90055-1
- Nishibe S, Kinoshita H, Takeda H, Okano G. 1990. Phenolic compounds from stem bark of Acanthopanax senticosus and their pharmacological effect in chronic swimming stressed rats. Chem Pharm Bull 38: 1763-1765. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.38.1763
- Park SG. 1990. Effect of maesil extracts on the blood components of women badminton players. J Korean Sports Med 8: 40-43.
- Murray R. 1988. Fluid replacement, gastrointestinal function, and exercise. Athletic Training 23: 215-219.
- Song YJ, Han DS, Oh SW, Paik IY, Park TS. 2002. Effect of dietary supplementation of Eleutherococcus Senticosus, taurine and carnitine on endurance exercise performance in rats. Korean J Nutr 35: 825-833.
- Pilkis SJ, El-Maghrabi MR, Claus TH. 1988. Hormonal regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis and glycolysis. Annu Rev Biochem 57: 755-783. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.57.070188.003543
- Astrand PO. 1986. Disposal of lactate during and after strenuous exercise in humans. J Appl Physiol 61: 338-343.
- Paik IY. 2006. Exercise and energy metabolism. Deahan media, Seoul, Korea p 143-162.
- Berning JR. 1996. The role of medium-change triglycerides in exercise. Int J Sports Nutr 6: 121-133. https://doi.org/10.1123/ijsn.6.2.121
- Holloszy JO, Kohrt WM. 1996 Regulation of carbohydrate and fat metabolism during and after exercise. Annu Rev Nutr 16: 121-138. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.16.070196.001005
- Sahlin K. 1978. Intracelluar pH and energy metabolism in skeletal muscle of man, with special reference to exercise. Acta Physiol Scnd Suppl 455: 1-56.
- Schwane JA, Johnson CB, Vandenakker RB. 1983. Delayedonset muscular soreness and plasma CPK and LDH activities after downhill running. Med Sci Sports Exer 15: 15-56.
- Barmes RH, Labadan BA, Siyamohlu B, Bradfield RB. 1964. Effects of exercise and administration of aspartic acid on blood ammonia in the rat. Am J Physiol 207: 1242-1246.
- Mutch BJ, Banister EW. 1983. Ammonia metabolism in exercise and fatigue: a review. Med Sci Sports Exerc 15: 41-50.
- Koyuncuoglu H, Keyer M, Simsek S, Sagduyu H. 1978. Ammonia intoxication: change of brain levels of putative neurotransmitter and related compounds and its relevance of gepatic coma, Pharmacol Res Commun 10: 787-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-6989(78)80098-8
- Millar NC, Homsher E. 1990. The effect of phosphate and calcium on force generation in glycerinated rabbit skeletal muscle fibers. A steady-state and transient kinetic study. J Biol Chem 265: 20234-20240.
- Jenkins RR. 1988. Free radical chemistry: relationship to exercise. Sports Med 5: 156-170. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198805030-00003
- Karamizrak SO, Ergen E, Tore IR, Akqun N. 1994. Changes in serum creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase and aldolase activities following supramaximal exercise in athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 34: 141-146.
- Noakes TD. 1998. Fluid and electrolyte dusturbances in heat illenss. Int J Sports med 19: 146-149. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-971982
- Altland PD, Hioghman B. 1961. Effects of exercise on serum enzyme values and tissues of rats. Am J Physiol 201: 393-395.
- Choi DW, Jung SH. 2000. The effect of 12 weeks training method on serum LDH and CPK activity in rats. Korean J Phys 39: 542-555.
- King SW, Statland BE, Savory J. 1976. The effect of a short burst of exercise on activity values of enzymes in sera of healthy young man. Clinical Chim Acta 72: 211-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(76)90075-9
- Sund H. 1968. The pyridine nucloetide coenzymes. In Biological oxidations. Singer TP, ed. Interscience Publication, New York, NY, USA. p 603-632.
- Ohkuwa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. 1979. Assay for lipid peroxide of animal tissue by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Ann Biochem 95: 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Roti S, Iori E, Guiducci U, Emanuele R, Robuschi G, Bandini P, Gnudi A, Roti E. 1981. Serum concentrations of myoglobin, creatine phosphokinase and lactic dehydrogenase after exercise in trained and untrained athletics. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 21: 113-118.
- Preparation of Functional Healthy Drinks by Acanthopanax senticosus Extracts vol.24, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.9.959
- Antioxidant and anti-fatigue effects of abalone (Haliotis discus hannai) composites containing natural plant vol.22, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.4.598
- Effect of Black Garlic and Herb Formulas on Lipid Profiles and Antioxidant Status in Rats by Interval Running Training vol.23, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.12.1436
- Antioxidative Activity of Beverage with Water and Ethanol Extracts of Maegmundong (Liriope platyphylla) vol.30, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.6.785