- Volume 41 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
ESR-based Identification of Radiation-Induced Free Radicals in Gamma-Irradiated Basil and Clove Using Different Sample Pre-Treatments
감마선 조사된 바질과 정향의 전처리방법에 따른 ESR Spectra 판별 특성
- Kwak, Ji-Young (School of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ahn, Jae-Jun (School of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Akram, Kashif (School of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kwon, Joong-Ho (School of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.07.03
- Accepted : 2012.08.07
- Published : 2012.10.31
An improved detection of radiation-induced paramagnetic faults was developed to identify the irradiation status of basil and clove. The effectiveness of different sample pretreatments, including freeze-drying (FD), oven-drying (OD), alcoholic-extraction (AE), and water-washing and alcoholic-extraction (WAE), were examined. All non-irradiated samples showed a single central signal (
Supported by : 경북대학교
- Kume T, Furuta M, Todoriki S, Uenoyama N, Kobayashi Y. 2009. Status of food irradiation in the world. Radiat Phys Chem 78: 222-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2008.09.009
- Kwon JH. 2010. Safety and understanding of irradiated food. 1st ed. Korea Food Safety Research Institute, Seoul, Korea. p 125-128.
- Kwon JH, Chung HW, Kim BK, Ahn JJ, Kim GR, Jo DJ, Ahn KA. 2011. Research and application of identification methods for irradiated foods. Safe Food 6: 11-27.
- Stevenson MH, Gray R. 1990. Can ESR spectroscopy be used to detect irradiated food? In Food Irradiation and the Chemist. Johnston DE, Stevenson MH, eds. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK. p 80-96.
- Raffi J. 1996. ESR identification of irradiated foodstuffs: LARQUA research. In Detection Methods for Irradiated Foods, Current Status. McMurray CH, Stewart EM, Gray R, Pearce J, eds. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK. p 93-97.
- Uchiyama S, Kawamura Y, Saito Y. 1990. Identification of gamma-irradiated spices by electron spin resonance (ESR) spectrometry. J Food Hyg Soc Japan 31: 499-507. https://doi.org/10.3358/shokueishi.31.499
- Kwon JH, Kim MY, Kim BK, Lee JE, Kim DH, Byun MW, Lee CB. 2006. Identification characteristics of irradiated dried-spicy vegetables by analyzing photostimulated luminescence (PSL), thermoluminescence (TL) and electron spin resonance (ESR). Korean J Food Preserv 13: 50-54.
- Abdel-Fattah AA. 2002. Identification and dose assessment of irradiated cumin by EPR spectrometry. Appl Radiat Isot 56: 557-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(01)00246-9
- Nam HS, Yang JS. 2001. Detection of gamma-irradiated spices by ESR spectroscopy. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 239-242.
- Sadecka J. 2007. Irradiation of spices-a review. Czech J Food Sci 25: 231-242.
- Helle N, Linke B, Bὄgl KW, Schreiber GA. 1992. Elektronen- Spin-Resonanz-Spektroskopie an Gewürzproben Nachweis einer Behandlung mit ionisierenden Strahlen. Eur Food Res Technol 195: 129-132.
- Delincee H, Soika C. 2002. Improvement of the ESR detection of irradiated food containing cellulose employing a simple extraction method. Radiat Phys Chem 63: 437-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(01)00533-3
- Raffi J, Yordanov ND, Chabane S, Douifi L, Gancheva V, Ivanova S. 2000. Identification of irradiation treatment of aromatic herbs, spices and fruits by electron paramagnetic resonance and thermoluminescence. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 56: 409-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1386-1425(99)00252-8
- Duliu OG, Georgescu R, Ali SI. 2007. EPR investigation of some traditional oriental irradiated spices. Radiat Phys Chem 76: 1031-1036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2006.09.009
- Ahn JJ, Kim DG, Chung HW, Kwon JH. 2009. Parameter analysis by electron spin resonance spectroscopy of cellulose radicals in gamma-irradiated dried spicy vegetables. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 371-375.
- KFDA. 2010. Food Code. Korea Food & Drug Administration. Seoul, Korea. p 10-8-40-10-8-60.
- EN 1787. 2000. Foodstuffs-detection of irradiated food containing cellulose by ESR spectroscopy. European Committee of Standardization (CEN), Brussels, Belgium.
- Jo D, Kwon JH. 2006. Detection of radiation-induced markers from parts of irradiated kiwifruits. Food Control 17: 617-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2005.03.008
- Akram K, Ahn JJ, Kim GR, Kwon JH. 2012. Identification of irradiated spaghetti sauces using different physical techniques. J Food Quality 35: 292-297. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2012.00450.x
- Uchiyama S, Sugiki A, Kawamura Y, Murayama M, Saito Y. 1992. Radical unique to gamma-irradiated allspice and cinnamon and its utility fir detection of irradiated foods. J Food Hyg Soc J apan 34: 128-135.
- Ahn JJ, Akram K, Jo D, Kwon JH. 2012. Investigation of different factors affecting the electron spin resonancebased characterization of gamma-irradiated fresh, white, and red ginseng. J Ginseng Res 36: 308-313. https://doi.org/10.5142/jgr.2012.36.3.308
- Yordanov ND, Aleksieva K, Dimitrova A, Georgieva L, Tzvetkova E. 2006. Multifrequency EPR study on freezedried fruits before and after X-ray irradiation. Radiat Phys Chem 75: 1069-1074. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2006.03.072
- Tabner BJ, Tabner VA. 1991. An electron spin resonance study of gamma-irradiated grapes. Radiat Phys Chem 38: 523-531.
- Maloney DR, Tabner BJ, Tabner VA. 1992. An electron spin resonance study of some gamma-irradiated fruits. Int J Radiat Appl Instrum C Radiat Phys Chem 39: 309-314.
- Ahn JJ, Akram K, Kim HK, Kwon JH. 2012. Electron spin resonance spectroscopy for the identification of irradiated food with complex ESR signals. Food Anal Method doi: 10.1007/s12161-012-9440-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-012-9440-4
- Raffi JJ, Agnel JPL, Buscarlet LA, Martin CC. 1988. Electron spin resonance identification of irradiated strawberries. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 1 84: 3359-3362. https://doi.org/10.1039/f19888403359
- Deighton N, Glidwell SM, Goodman BA, Morrison IM. 1993. Electron paramagnetic resonance of gamma-irradiated cellulose and lignocellulosic material. Int J Food Sci Technol 28: 45-55.
- de Jesus EF, Rossi AM, Lopes RT. 1996. Influence of sample treatment on ESR signal of irradiated citrus. Appl Radiat Isot 47: 1647-1653. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(96)00158-3
- de Jesus EF, Rossi AM, Lopes RT. 1994. An ESR study on identification of gamma-irradiated kiwi, papaya and tomato using fruit pulp. Int J Food Sci Technol 34: 173-178.
- Comparison of Photostimulated Luminescence, Thermoluminescence, and Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopic Analyses on Dried-spices Irradiated by Gamma Ray and Electron Beam vol.46, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.2.256