- Volume 41 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Nutrition Teachers (Dietitians)' Perceptions of Barriers to Implementation of HACCP System in School Foodservices in the Gyeongnam Area
경남지역 학교급식 HACCP 시스템 적용 장애요인에 대한 영양(교)사의 인지도 분석
- Hwang, Hye-Ok (Nutrition Education Major, Graduate School of Education, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Ah (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2012.06.04
- Accepted : 2012.08.07
- Published : 2012.10.31
This study was conducted in order to understand nutrition teachers (dietitians)' perceptions of barriers to implementation of HACCP system in school foodservices in Gyeongnam, Korea. Questionnaires were distributed to 350 nutrition teachers (dietitians) from November to December of 2009, and 214 were collected and analyzed. The results of this study were as follows. First, nutrition teachers (dietitians) recognized the following as barriers in implementing the HACCP system: 'the status of facilities and utilities'> 'monitoring'> 'work satisfaction'> 'foodservice employees'> 'cooperation of HACCP team'> 'cooperation of persons concerned besides foodservice employees'> 'understanding the HACCP system'. Second, total working experience was found to be the factor most affecting 'cooperation of HACCP team (p<0.01)', 'cooperation of persons concerned besides foodservice employees (p<0.01)', 'foodservice employees (p<0.05)', and 'work satisfaction (p<0.05)'. Further, 'the status of facilities and utilities' was significantly affected by 'construction/reconstruction of kitchen (p<0.01)', 'division of kitchen area (p<0.01)', 'existence of preliminary preparation room (p<0.01)', and 'existence of dishwashing room (p<0.01)'. Third, dietitians perceived the following concerning hindrance factors of the HACCP system according to CCP stage: 'CCP 1'> 'CCP 3'> 'CCP 2, 'CCP 6'> 'CCP 4'> 'CCP 8'> 'CCP 7'> 'CCP 5'. In conclusion, this study showed that nutrition teachers (dietitians) in the Gyeongnam area recognized 'the status of facilities and utilities' from HACCP areas and 'CCP 1 (menu planning)' from CCP stages as the greatest barriers to implementing the HACCP system in school foodservices. To implement the HACCP system successfully in school foodservices, facilities and utilities should be properly equipped, and menu planning training for nutrition teachers (dietitian) should be conducted.
- Yang IS, Lee BY, Cha JA, Han KS, Chae IS, Lee JM. 2011. Foodservice in institutions. 3rd ed. Kyomunsa, Kyeonggido, Korea. p 43-44.
- Yang IS, Cha JA, Shin SY, Park MK. 2009. Foodservice management. 2nd ed. Kyomunsa, Kyeonggi-do, Korea. p 39-40.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. 2010. Guideline for hygiene management for school foodservice. 3rd ed. Korea. p 52-93.
- Moon HK, Jean JY, Lyu ES. 2004. Assessment of hygiene knowledge and recognition on job performance levels for HACCP implementation for dieticians and employees at contract foodservices. J Korean Diet Assoc 10: 261-271.
- Moon HK, Hwang JO. 2003. Study on hygiene knowledge and recognition on job performance levels for HACCP application for employees at contract foodservices. Korean J Community Nutr 8: 71-82.
- Kim YO, Kim SA, Ly SY. 2006. Perceived performance of sanitary management and HACCP knowledge of school food service managers in Daejeon. Chungnam J Human Ecology 19: 111-130.
- Kim GM, Lee SY. 2009. Factors related to sanitary management performance based on HACCP system in school foodservice－Seoul, Gyeonggi, Kangwon and Choongchung areas in Korea－. Korean J Community Nutrition 14: 817-830.
- Kim SH, Lee YW. 2001. A study on the sanitary management procedures of university and industry foodservice operations in Pusan. J Fd Hyg Safety 16: 1-10.
- Lee JY, Yon MY, Lee YJ, Kim WJ. 2011. Culinary employees' sanitation management practice levels according to dietitians' sanitation training performance in the institutional foodservice industry in the Chungbuk province. Korea J Food Culture 26: 151-158.
- Chang HW, Bae HJ. 2010. Assessment of food sanitation knowledge and performance of food service workers in school food service operations implementing HACCP. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26: 781-790.
- Hong WS, Yim JM. 2009. Evaluation of foodservice employees' sanitary performance and sanitary education in middle and high schools in Seoul. J Korean Diet Assoc 15: 113-127.
- Song IS, Chae IS. 2008. The analysis of the school foodservice employees' knowledge and performance degree of HACCP system in Jeju. Korean J Nutr 41: 870-886.
- Song IS. 2007. The analysis of the school foodservice employees' knowledge and performance degree in HACCP system. MS Thesis. Jeju National University, Jeju, Korea. p 54.
- Kim GJ, Park SS. 2008. A study on sanitation education and knowledge for each types of employees in food-service facility. J Foodservice Management 11: 115-137.
- Lee KE, Ryu K. 2004. Influences of school food service employees' food safety training on food safety knowledge and practices. Korean J Community Nutr 9: 597-605.
- Lee KE, Lee HS. 2005. Influences of school food service dietitians' job satisfaction and perception of barriers to HACCP implementation on food sanitation/safety management performance in Gyeongbuk province. J Korean Diet Assoc 11: 179-189.
- Kim GM, Lee SY. 2008. A study on the sanitation management status and barriers to HACCP system implementation of school foodservice institutions in Seoul metropolitan area. Korean J Community Nutr 13: 405-417.
- Kim SH. 2007. Analysis of elementary school dietitians' sanitary practices and perceptions of obstacles according to the HACCP system in Gwangju and Jeonnam regions of South Korea. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 195-204.
- Kim MJ. 2008. A study on the views of school nutritionist about hurdles to the application of HACCP system in Gwangu. MS Thesis. Dongshin University, Naju, Korea. p 9-12, 35-44, 50-55.
- Kim GM. 2009. Analysis of sanitary management status and performance based on HACCP system in school foodservice－ Seoul.Gyeonggi.Kangwon.Choongchung areas on Korea－. PhD Dissertation. Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea. p 109.
- Choi SH, Kim SH, Kwak TK. 2003. The survey of perception on obstacles in implementing generic HACCP plan for school foodservice operations. J Korean Diet Assoc 9: 209-218.
- Park JW. 2007. Research on the status of sanitation management of facilities and equipments of school meal service of Deagu region and obstacles of the HACCP system. MS Thesis. Keimyung University, Daegu, Korea. p 7, 32-39.
- Choi SH. 2001. The survey of dieticians' perception on obstacles in implementing HACCP system for school foodservice operations. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 36-37, 47.
- Yoon MY. 2004. A study on implementation of hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) systems in schools foodservice operations－Pohang area－. MS Thesis. Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea. p 67.
- Kim YO, Kwon SJ, Ly SY. 2009. Perceived performance of HACCP for school foodservice managers in Daejeon. Korean J Human Ecology 18: 223-236. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.1.223
- Gyeongsangnam-do Office of Education. 2010. 2010 Scheme of fundamental operation of school foodservice. Korea. p 19-20.
- Eves A, Dervisi P. 2005. Experiences of the implementation and operation of hazard analysis critical control points in the food service sector. Hospitality Management 24: 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2004.04.005
- Henroid D, Sneed J. 2004. Readiness to implement hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) systems in Iowa schools. J Am Diet Assoc 104: 180-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2003.11.009
- Youn S, Sneed J. 2003. Implementation of HACCP and prerequisite programs in school foodservice. J Am Diet Assoc 103: 55-60.
- A Study on the Hygiene Practices of Foodservice Employees by Hygiene Education and Work Environment in the Gyeongnam Area vol.19, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2013.19.3.209
- Dieticians' Perceived Performance Level and Obstructive Factors of HACCP System among Elementary School Food Services in Gyeongbuk Province vol.43, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.11.1774
- A Research Study on Seoul Region School Nutritionists' Perception of HACCP System, CCP Control Standards & Performance Conditions and Sanitation & Safety Inspection - Focusing on CCP 1 & CCP 2 - vol.27, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.3.447