- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Fare Elasticities of DST Applications; An Empirical Analysis
경전선 이단적재열차(DST) 도입을 위한 운임 탄력성 조사 연구
- Yun, Donghee (Logistics Planning Dept., Logistic HQ) ;
- Lee, Jinsun (Department of Railroad Management, Woosong University) ;
- Kim, Ickhee (Demand Analysis Department, KORAIL Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.08.08
- Accepted : 2012.09.17
- Published : 2012.10.30
Double Stack Train(DST) is being used variously around USA and Canada. The greatest advantage of the DST is mass transportation without extending the length of freight train and number of cars. So the DST system can be a kind of innovative train to increase the competitiveness of rail logistic business. As the domestic rail logistic increase, for enhancement of environment friendly green transportation amount, the DST needs more for efficiency. In this study, as the alternative way to introduce the DST to the Kyungbu Line, it's investigated the extensibility of rail freight with the relation of rail fare discount and examined the necessity of pilot business to the Kyungjeon Line which was expected comparatively lower cost. If the DST system is introduced to the Kyungjeon Line, the cost of mass transportation can be much lower and then the comparativeness of rail transportation will be increased, therefore logistic companies can have some margin additionally. In the result of survey to the related companies, if rail transportation fare is 37.7 % cheaper than current road transportation fare, the modal shift can be transferred by maximum 100%.
- S. Chae (1992) Survey Analysis for Social Science, Hakhyunsa.
- J.G. Yoo (2005) A Study on the Development of index to Rail Freight Fares improvement and customer satisfactory, Korea Railroad Research Institute, pp. 285-287
- C. Chung, S.G. Kim, C.S. Kim (2007) A Comparison Study on Fare and Time Elasticities on Intercity Rail Travel Demand, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 27(5), pp. 547-553.
- Korea Railroad Research Institute (2008) A Study on the Railroad Policy and Logistics System in Korea.
- Korea Development Institute (2008) Guideline of Preliminary study in road and railway projects(Rev. 5).
- J.G. Lee (2008) Microeconomics, Bupmunsa.
- J.S. Mun (2009) Support Measures for Domestic Rail Freight, Journal of the Korean Society of Railway, 13(1), pp. 151-160.
- Y.K. Yang (2009) Railway's Effects on Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction in Transport Sector, Korea Railroad Research Institute, pp. 129-130.
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2010) The Introduction Plan for Kyungbu DST.
- Korea Railroad Research Institute (2010) The Technological Planning Report of DST.
- Korea Transport Institute (2010) Survey of National Transportation Demand and Construction of Database for the Year.
- Korea Railroad (2011) 2010 Statistical Yearbook of Railroad.