- Volume 26 Issue 5
This study examined the use of LIT (lock-in infrared thermography) to detect defects in the welded parts of ships and offshore structures. A quantitative analysis was used with the filtering and texture measurement of image processing techniques to find the optimized experimental condition. We verified the reliability of our methods by applying image processing techniques in order to normalize the evaluations of comparative images that showed a phase difference. In addition, it was found that a low to mid-range intensity of light exposure on the surface showed good results, whereas high exposure did not provide significant results. A lock-in frequency of around 0.1 Hz was satisfactory regardless of the intensity of the light source. In addition, making the integration time of the thermography camera inversely proportional to the intensity of the exposed light source during the experiment provided good results.
Lock-in thermography;Image processing;Multi-way factorial design;Optical intensity;Integration time;Non-destructive test
- You, H.J. and Kim, T.W. (2004), "Digital Image Processing using MATLAB", JinSammedia, pp 174-176 & 507-512.
- Wong, B.S., Tui, C.G., Bai, W., Tan, P.H., Low, B.S. and Tan, K.S. (1999), "Thermographic Evaluation of Defects in Composite Materials", Insight, pp 504-509.
- Yeom, B.J., Seu, S.G., Lee, S.H. and Kim, S.J. (2005), "Design and Analysis of Experiments : Taguchi Methods and Orthogonal Arrays", KAIST, pp 1-44.
- Park, S.H. (2009), "Modern Design of Experiments using MINITAB", Minyoungsa, pp 1-52 & 159-190.
- Rechard D. Hudson (1969), "Infrared System Engineering", John Wiley & Sons, pp 3-109.
- Kim, C.M., Lee, C.W., Cho, Y.J. and You, Y.S. (2011), "A Study on Possibility of Non-destructive Flaw Detection Steel Sheet Metal using a Phase-locked Infrared Thermography Technique", The Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies, pp 1205-1210.
- Breitenstein, O. and Langenkamp M. (2003), "Lock-in Thermography", Springer, Germany, pp 1-38.
- Park, J.H., Choi, M.Y. and Kim, W.T. (2010), "Shering Phase Lock-in Infrared Thermography for Defects Evaluation of Metallic Specimen", Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testion, Vol 30, No 2, pp 00-00.
- Cho, Y.J., et al (2004), "A Prediction of IR Signature Characteristics According to the Meteorological Environment", ROK Navesea Technical Report, pp 1-47
- Choi, M.Y., Kang, K.S., Park, J.H., Kim, W.T. and Kim, K.S. (2007), "Defect Sizing and Location by Lock-in Photo- Infrared Thermography", Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol 27, No 4, pp 321-327.
- Choi, M.Y. and Kim, W.T. (2004), "The Utilization of Nondestructive Testing and Defects Diagnosis using Infrared Thermography", Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol 24, No 5, pp 525-531.
- Clarence E. Heerema (1992), "State-of-The-Art Report on Infrared Technology".
- Cho, Y.J. (2011), "An Exploratory Study on the Optimized Test Conditions of the Lock-in Thermography Technique", Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testion, Vol 31, No 2, pp 00-00.
- Internal Defect Position Analysis of a Multi-Layer Chip Using Lock-in Infrared Microscopy vol.35, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2015.35.3.200
- Measurement Uncertainty on Subsurface Defects Detection Using Active Infrared Thermographic Technique vol.35, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2015.35.5.341