- Volume 26 Issue 5
Anchors are primarily designed and constructed to resist outwardly directed loads imposed on the foundation of a structure. These outwardly directed loads are transmitted to the soil at a greater depth by the anchors. Buried anchors have been used for thousands of years to stabilize structures. Nowadays, various types of earth anchors are used for the uplift resistance of transmission towers, utility poles, submerged pipelines, and tunnels. Anchors are also used for the tieback resistance of earth-retaining structures, waterfront structures, at bends in pressure pipelines, and when it is necessary to control thermal stress. In this research we analyzed the uplift behavior of plate anchors in sand using a laboratory experiment to estimate the uplift behavior of plate anchors under various conditions. To achieve the research purpose, the uplift resistance and displacement characteristics of plate anchors caused by the embedment ratio, plate diameter, and loading rate were studied, compared, and analyzed in various cases.
Plate anchor;Horizontal plate anchor;Uplift behavior;Embedment ratio;Uplift load;Loading rate
- Vesic, A.S. (1971). "Breakout Resistance of Objects Embeded in Ocean Bottom", Jouranl Soil Mech. Found. Div., ASCE, pp 1183-1205.
- Saeedy, H.S. (1987). "Stability of Circular Vertical Earth Anchors. Can. Geotech. J., Vol 24, No 3, pp 452-456. https://doi.org/10.1139/t87-056
- Veesaert, C.J. and Clemence, S.P. (1977). "Dynamic Pullout Resistance of Anchors", Proc. The International Symposium on Soil-Structure Interaction, Rourkee, India, Vol 1. pp 389-397.
- Meyerhof, G.G. and Adams, J.I. (1968). "The Ultimate Uplift Capacity of Foundations", Can. Geotech J., Vol 5, No 4, pp 225-244. https://doi.org/10.1139/t68-024
- Ovesen N.K. (1981). "Centrifuge Test of the Uplift Capacity of Anchors", Proc. 10th Int Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm, Sweeden, Vol 1, pp 717-722.
- Caquot, A. and Kerisel, L. (1949). "Traite de Mecanique Des Sols", Gauthier Villars, Paris, France.
- Das, B.M. (1978). "Model Tests for Uplift Capacity of Foundations in Clay", Soil and Found., Japan, Vol 18, No 2, pp 17-24. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.18.2_17
- Mariupol'skii, L.G. (1965). "The Bearing Capacity of Anchor Foundations", Translated from Osnovanlya, Fundamenty Mekhanika Gruntov, No. 1 pp 14-18.
- Baker, W.H. and Kondner, R.L. (1966). "Pullout Load Capacity of a Circular Earth Anchor Buried in Sand", Highway Res. Rec. 108, National Academy of Sciences, pp 1-10.
- American Society for Testing and Material (2004), Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Sec. 4, Vol 04.08 Philadelphia, Pa.
- Balla A. (1961). "The Resistance to Breaking-out of Mushroom Foundations for Pylons", Proc. The International Conference on Soil mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Vol 1. pp 569-576.