- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Thrust Caused by Oscillating Two-Dimensional Hydrofoil Moving in Propagating Unsteady Flow Field
전파하는 변동유장 중 전진하며 동요하는 2차원 수중 날개에 의한 추력
- Received : 2012.07.19
- Accepted : 2012.10.25
- Published : 2012.10.31
This paper considers a two-dimensional hydrofoil that is fully submerged and oscillating with forward speed. The flow field is assumed to be a propagating vertical velocity field. Using the perturbation theory, the problem is linearized, and the leading-order lift force is surveyed. The thrust force is analytically derived as the second-order horizontal force. As an example, the lift and thrust for a flapping flat plate in heaving and pitching modes are analyzed. The parameters affecting the thrust are listed. The thrust is expressed in terms of the quadratic transfer functions in relation to the disturbances. The quadratic transfer functions are studied parametrically to assess the most favorable thrust.
Thrust;Unsteady flow filed;Oscillating hydrofoil;Analytic approach
- Grue, J., Mo, A. and Palm, E. (1988). "Propulsion of a Foil Moving in Water Waves", J. of Fluid Mech., Vol 186, pp 393-417. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112088000205
- Kaplan, P. (1955) "A Hydrodynamic Theory for the forces on Hydrofoils in Unsteady Motion", Sc.D. Thesis, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Greenberg, J.M. (1947) "Some Consideration on an Airfoil in an Oscillating Stream", N.A.C.A. Technical Note, No 1372.
- Newman, J.N. (1977) "Marine Hydrodynamics", The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Garrick, I.E. (1936) "Propulsion of a Flapping and Oscillating Airfoil", N.A.C.A. Report, No 567.
- Wu, T.Y. (1971). "Hydrodynamics of Swimming Propulsion. Part 1. Swimming of a Two-Dimensional Flexible Plate at Variable Forward Speeds in an Inviscid Fluid", J. of Fluid Mech., Vol 46, No 2, pp337-355. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112071000570
- Sears, W.R. (1941) "Some Aspects of Non-stationary Airfoil Theory and Its Practical Application", J. of Aeronautical Sciences, Vol 8, No 3, pp 104-108. https://doi.org/10.2514/8.10655
- Theodorsen, T. (1935) "General Theory of Aerodynamic Instability and the Mechanism of Flutter", N.A.C.A. Report, No 496.
- von Karman, T.H. and Sears, W.R. (1938). "Airfoil Theory for Non-uniform Motion", J. of Aeronautical Sciences, Vol 5, No 10, pp 379-390.
Supported by : 울산대학교