- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Transmission Performance Comparison of Direction Detection-Based 100-Gb/s Modulation Formats for Metro Area Optical Networks
- Chung, Hwan Seok (BigData Software Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Chang, Sun Hyok (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Jonghyun (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Kim, Kwangjoon (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.05.11
- Accepted : 2012.07.05
- Published : 2012.12.31
Transmission performances of direct detection-based 100-Gb/s modulation formats are investigated and compared for metro area optical networks. The effects of optical signal-to-noise ratio sensitivity, chromatic dispersion, cross-channel nonlinearity, and transmission distance on the performance of differential 8-ary phase-shift keying (D8PSK), differential phase-shift keying plus three-level amplitude-shift keying (DPSK+3ASK), and dual-carrier differential quaternary phase-shift keying (DC-DQPSK) are evaluated. The performance of coherent dual-polarization quadrature phase-shift keying (DP-QPSK) with block phase estimation and coherent DP-QPSK with digital differential detection are also presented for reference. According to our analysis, all three direct detection modulation formats could transmit a 100-Gb/s signal over several hundred kilometers of a single-mode fiber link. The results also show that DC-DQPSK outperforms D8PSK and DPSK+3ASK, and the performance of DC-DQPSK is comparable to that of coherent DP-QPSK with digital differential detection. The maximum transmission distance of DC-DQPSK is over 1,000 km, which is enough distance for metro applications.
- IEEE Std. 802.3ba-2010, "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks Part 3: CSMA/CD Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications," 2010, pp. 329-351.
- H.S. Chung, S.H. Chang, and K.J. Kim, "Mitigation of Imperfect Carver Induced Phase Distortions in a Coherent PM-RZ-QPSK Receiver," IEEE/OSA, J. Lightwave Technol., vol. 28, no. 24, Dec. 2010, pp. 3506-3511.
- D.S. Ly-Gagnon et al., "Coherent Detection of Optical Quadrature Phase-Shift Keying Signals with Carrier Phase Estimation," IEEE/OSA, J. Lightwave Technol., vol. 24, no. 1, Jan. 2006, pp. 12-21. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2005.860477
- H.S. Chung, S.H. Chang, and K.J. Kim, "Companding Transform Based SPM Compensation in Coherent Optical OFDM Transmission," Opt. Express, vol. 16, no. 26, Dec. 2011, pp. 702-709.
- Z. Fang et al., "Least Square Channel Estimation for Two-Way Relay MIMO OFDM Systems," ETRI J., vol. 33, no. 5, Oct. 2011, pp. 806-809. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.11.0210.0424
- H.Y. Choi and I Morita, "Transmission Performances of Differential 6-ary Signal with 10.7 Gb/s NRZ-OOK Neighboring Channels over SMF and DSF Links," Opt. Fiber Commun Conf./Nat. Fiber Opt. Eng. Conf. (OFC/NFOEC), Los Angeles, CA, USA, 2012, paper JW2A.48.
- H. Wernz et al., "Nonlinear Behavior of 112 Gb/s Polarization-Multiplexed RZ-DQPSK with Direct Detection in a 630 km Field Trial," European Conf. Optic. Commun. (ECOC), Vienna, Austria, 2009, paper 3.4.3.
- H. Yoon, D. Lee, and N. Park, "Performance Comparison of Optical 8-ary Differential Phase-Shift Keying Systems with Different Electrical Decision Schemes," Opt. Express, vol. 13, no. 2, Jan. 2005, pp. 371-376. https://doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.13.000371
- T. Tokle et al., "Advanced Modulation Formats for Transmission Systems," Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf./Nat. Fiber Opt. Eng. Conf. (OFC/NFOEC), San Diego, CA, USA, 2008, paper OMI1.
- B.T. Teipen and M.H. Eiselt, "107 Gb/s DPSK-3ASK Optical Transmission over SSMF," Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf./Nat. Fiber Opt. Eng. Conf. (OFC/NFOEC), San Diego, CA, USA, 2010, paper NMB1.
- M.H. Eiselt and B.T. Teipen, "Requirements for 100 Gb/s Metro Networks," Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf./Nat. Fiber Opt. Eng. Conf. (OFC/NFOEC), San Diego, CA, USA, 2009, paper OTuN6.
- H.S. Chung et al., "Dual-Carrier DQPSK Based 112 Gb/s Signal Transmission over 480 km of SMF Link Carrying 10 Gb/s NRZ Channels," Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf./Nat. Fiber Opt. Eng. Conf. (OFC/NFOEC), Los Angeles, CA, USA, 2012, paper JW2A.3.