- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Faultless Protection Methods in Self-Healing Ethernet Ring Networks
- Lee, Kwang-Koog (Department of Computer Science, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Ryoo, Jeong-Dong (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Joo, Bheom Soon (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2012.05.10
- Accepted : 2012.07.19
- Published : 2012.12.31
Self-healing Ethernet rings show promise for realizing the SONET/SDH-grade resilience in Carrier Ethernet infrastructures. However, when a ring is faulty, high-priority protection messages are processed in less time than low-priority data frames are processed. In this situation, any delayed data frames either being queued or traveling through long ring spans will cause the ring nodes to generate incorrect forwarding information. As a result, the data frames spread in the wrong direction, causing the ring to become unstable. To solve this problem, we propose four schemes, that is, dual flush, flush delay timer setting, purge triggering, and priority setting, and evaluate their protection performance under various traffic conditions on a ring based on the Ethernet ring protection (ERP) method. In addition, we develop an absorbing Markov chain model of the ERP protocol to observe how traffic congestion can impact the protection performance of the proposed priority setting scheme. Based on our observations, we propose a more reliable priority setting scheme, which guarantees faultless protection, even in a congested ring.
- K. Fouli and M. Maier, "The Road to Carrier-Grade Ethernet," IEEE Comm. Mag., vol. 47, no. 3, Mar. 2009, pp. S30-S38. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2009.4804387
- IEEE Std. 802.1D, "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Media Access Control (MAC) Bridge," 2004.
- IEEE Std. 802.1w, "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks, Amendment 2: Rapid Reconfiguration for Spanning Trees," 2001.
- IEEE Std. 802.1s, "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks, Amendment 3: Multiple Spanning Trees," 2002.
- IEEE Std. 802.17, "Resilient Packet Ring (RPR) Access Method and Physical Specifications," 2004.
- Ethernet Ring Protection Switching, ITU-T Rec. G.8032/Y.1344 (Ver 1.0), 2008.
- Ethernet Ring Protection Switching, ITU-T Rec. G.8032/Y.1344(Ver 2.0), 2010.
- J. Ryoo et al., "Ethernet Ring Protection for Carrier Ethernet Networks," IEEE Comm. Mag., vol. 46, no. 9, Sept. 2008, pp. 136-143.
- Extreme Networks' Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching (EAPS) Version 1, IETF RFC 3619, 2003.
- Huawei Corp., "Technical White Paper for Rapid Ring Protection Protocol (RRPP)," Huawei Corp., Tech. Rep., 2007.
- Cisco Systems, "White Paper for Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP)," Cisco Systems, Tech. Rep., C11-427224-00, 2007.
- IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks, Amendment 5: Connectivity Fault Management, IEEE Std. 802.1ag, 2007.
- OAM Functions and Mechanisms for Ethernet Based Networks, ITU-T Rec. Y.1731, 2006.
- J. Ryoo et al., "OAM and Its Performance Monitoring Mechanisms for Carrier Ethernet Transport Networks," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 97-103, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2008.4463778
- K. Lee, C. Lee, and J. Ryoo, "Enhanced Protection Schemes to Guarantee Consistent Filtering Database in Ethernet Rings," Proc. IEEE Global Comm. Conf. (Globecom), Dec. 2010.
- A. Shaikh et al., "Routing Stability in Congested Networks: Experimentation and Analysis," Comput. Comm. Rev., vol. 30, no. 4, 2000, pp. 163-174. https://doi.org/10.1145/347057.347426
- A. Basu and J.G. Riecke, "Stability Issues in OSPF Routing," Comput. Comm. Rev., vol. 31, no. 4, 2001, pp. 225-236. https://doi.org/10.1145/964723.383077
- K. Lee and J. Ryoo, "Flush Optimizations to Guarantee Less Transient Traffic in Ethernet Ring Protection," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 2, Apr. 2010, pp. 184-194. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.1409.0097
- J.K. Rhee, J. Im, and J. Ryoo, "Ethernet Ring Protection Using Filtering Database Flip Scheme for Minimum Capacity Requirement," ETRI J., vol. 30, no. 6, Dec. 2008, pp. 874-876. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.08.0208.0253
- D. Lee et al., "Efficient Ethernet Multi-ring Protection System," Proc. 7th IEEE Int. Workshop Design Reliable Commun. Netw. (DRCN), 2009, pp. 305-311.
- OPNET Technologies Inc. Available: http://www.opnet.com
- The Network Simulator - NS2, 1995. Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns