- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Multicore Flow Processor with Wire-Speed Flow Admission Control
- Doo, Kyeong-Hwan (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Yoon, Bin-Yeong (Creative & Challenging Research Division, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Bhum-Cheol (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Soon-Seok (Advanced Communications Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Han, Man Soo (Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Mokpo National University) ;
- Kim, Whan-Woo (Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- 투고 : 2012.04.24
- 심사 : 2012.09.10
- 발행 : 2012.12.31
We propose a flow admission control (FAC) for setting up a wire-speed connection for new flows based on their negotiated bandwidth. It also terminates a flow that does not have a packet transmitted within a certain period determined by the users. The FAC can be used to provide a reliable transmission of user datagram and transmission control protocol applications. If the period of flows can be set to a short time period, we can monitor active flows that carry a packet over networks during the flow period. Such powerful flow management can also be applied to security systems to detect a denial-of-service attack. We implement a network processor called a flow management network processor (FMNP), which is the second generation of the device that supports FAC. It has forty reduced instruction set computer core processors optimized for packet processing. It is fabricated in 65-nm CMOS technology and has a 40-Gbps process performance. We prove that a flow router equipped with an FMNP is better than legacy systems in terms of throughput and packet loss.
- N. Brownlee, C. Mills, and G. Ruth, "Traffic Flow Measurement: Architecture," IETF RFC 2722, Oct 1999.
- J. Rajahalme et al., "IPv6 Flow Label Specification," IETF RFC 3697, Mar. 2004.
- J. Postel, "Transmission Control Protocol," RFC 793, Sept. 1981.
- A. Kumar et al., "Nonintrusive TCP Connection Admission Control for Bandwidth Management of an Internet Access Link," IEEE Commun. Mag., May 2000.
- R. Mortier et al., "Implicit Admission Control," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Dec. 2000.
- J.W. Roberts and S. Oueslati-Boulahia, "Quality of Service by Flow Aware Networking," Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. London, 2000.
- P. Pan, Y. Cui, and B. Liu, "A Measurement Study on Video Acceleration Service," IEEE CCNC, 2009.
- "Micro transport protocol," Wikipedia.org, Apr. 2009.
- E. Kohler, M. Handley, and S. Floyd, "Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP)," IETF RFC 4340, Mar. 2006.
- N. McKeown et al., "OpenFlow: Enabling Innovation in Campus Networks," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Commun. Rev., vol. 38, no. 2, Apr. 2008, pp. 69-74. https://doi.org/10.1145/1355734.1355746
- "OpenFlow Switch Specification, V1.2," Open Netw. Foundation, Dec. 2011.
- M. Jarschel et al., "Modeling and Performance Evaluation of an OpenFlow Architecture," ITC2011, Sept. 2011.
- N.S. Ko et al., "Quality-of-Service Mechanisms for Flow-Based Routers," ETRI J., vol. 30, no. 2, Apr. 2008, pp.183-193. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.08.1107.0014
- H.K. Yi et al., "DDoS Detection Algorithm Using the Bidirectional Session," CN, vol. 160, June 2011, pp.191-203.
- G.M. Amdahl, "Validity of the Single-Processor Approach to Achieving Large Scale Computing Capabilities," ACM Press, vol. 30, 1967, pp. 483-485
- "The Cisco QuantumFlow Processor: Cisco's Next Generation Network Processor," Cisco Systems, 2008.
- V. Paxson, "End-to-End Internet Packet Dynamics," IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw., vol. 7, no. 3, June 1999.
- S. Govind, R. Govindarajan, and J. Kuri, "Packet Reordering in Network Processors," IEEE IPDPS, Mar. 2007.
- "Junos OS MPLS Applications Configuration Guide R12.1," Juniper Netw., Mar. 2012.
- J. Lakkakorpi, "Flexible Admission Control for DiffServ Access Networks," Proc. SPIE, vol. 5244, Aug. 2003.
- "Guide to Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems (IDPS)," NIST Special Publication 800-94, 2007.
- B.Y. Yoon, B.C. Lee, and S.S. Lee, "Scalable Flow-Based Network Processor for Premium Network Services," ICTC, Nov. 2011, pp. 436-440.