- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Joint Multiband Sensing-Time M-QAM Signal Detection in Cognitive Radios
- Tariq, Sana (Department of Electrical Engineering, Military College of Signals, National University of Sciences and Technology) ;
- Ghafoor, Abdul (Department of Electrical Engineering, Military College of Signals, National University of Sciences and Technology) ;
- Farooq, Salma Zainab (Department of Electrical Engineering, Military College of Signals, National University of Sciences and Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering, Institute of Space Technology Islamabad)
- Received : 2012.04.23
- Accepted : 2012.09.21
- Published : 2012.12.31
We analyze a wideband spectrum in a cognitive radio (CR) network by employing the optimal adaptive multiband sensing-time joint detection framework. This framework detects a wideband M-ary quadrature amplitude modulation (M-QAM) primary signal over multiple nonoverlapping narrowband Gaussian channels, using the energy detection technique so as to maximize the throughput in CR networks while limiting interference with the primary network. The signal detection problem is formulated as an optimization problem to maximize the aggregate achievable secondary throughput capacity by jointly optimizing the sensing duration and individual detection thresholds under the overall interference imposed on the primary network. It is shown that the detection problems can be solved as convex optimization problems if certain practical constraints are applied. Simulation results show that the framework under consideration achieves much better performance for M-QAM than for binary phase-shift keying or any real modulation scheme.
- J. Mitola and G.Q. Maguire, "Cognitive Radio: Making Software Radios More Personal," IEEE Personal Commun., vol. 6, no. 14, Aug. 1999, pp. 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1109/98.788210
- I.F. Akyildiz et al., "NeXt Generation/Dynamic Spectrum Access/Cognitive Radio Wireless Networks: A Survey," Comput. Netw. (Elsevier), vol. 50, no. 13, Sept. 2006, pp. 2127-2159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2006.05.001
- S. Haykin, "Cognitive Radio: Brain-Empowered Wireless Communications," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 23, no. 2, Feb. 2005, pp. 201-220 . https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.839380
- Z. Quan et al., "Optimal Multiband Joint Detection for Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 57, no. 3, Mar. 2009, pp. 1128-1140. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2008.2008540
- Z. Quan et al., "Spatial-Spectral Joint Detection for Wideband Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustic, Speech, Signal Process., Apr. 2008, pp. 2793- 2796.
- Z. Quan et al., "Collaborative Wideband Sensing for Cognitive Radios," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., vol. 25, no. 6, Nov. 2008, pp. 60-73. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2008.929296
- P.P. Hoseini and N.C. Beaulieu, "Optimal Wideband Spectrum Sensing Framework for Cognitive Radio Systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 59, no. 3, Mar. 2011, pp. 1170-1182. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2010.2096220
- P.P. Hoseini and N.C. Beaulieu, "An Optimal Algorithm for Wideband Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Systems," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Commun., May 2010.
- S.Z. Farooq and A. Ghafoor, "Multiband Joint Detection Framework for Complex Gaussian Signals in Cognitive Radios," Proc. IEEE 22nd Int. Symp. Personal, Indoor Mobile Radio Commun. (PIMRC), Sept. 2011, pp. 493-497.
- S. Xie et al., "A Parallel Cooperative Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks" IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 59, no. 8, 2010, pp. 4079-4092. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2056943
- R.L. Valcarce and G.V. Vilar, "Wideband Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio: Joint Estimation of Noise Variance and Multiple Signal Levels," IEEE Workshop Signal Process. Adv. Wireless Commun., 2009, pp. 96-100.
- A. Sahai and D. Cabric, "A Tutorial on Spectrum Sensing: Fundamental Limits and Practical Challenges," Proc. IEEE Symp. New Frontiers Dynamic Spectrum Access Netw., Baltimore, MD, USA, Nov. 2005.
- Z. Tian, "Compressed Wideband Sensing in Cooperative Cognitive Radio Networks," Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, 2008, pp. 1-5.
- A. Taherpour, S. Gazor, and M.N. Kenari, "Invariant Wideband Spectrum Sensing under Unknown Variances," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., 2009, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 2182-2186. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2009.080768
- K. Hossain and B. Champagne, "Wideband Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radios with Correlated Subband Occupancy," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., vol. 18, no. 1, Jan. 2011, pp. 35-38. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2010.2091405
- I.F. Akyildiz, B.F Lo, and R. Balakrishnan, "Cooperative Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks: A Survey," ELSEVIER Physical Commun., vol. 4, 2011, pp. 40-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phycom.2010.12.003
- A. Latif, Hybrid QAM - FSK (HQFM) OFDM Transceiver with Low PAPR, doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Electronic Engineering, Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Pakistan, 2009.
- S. Boyd and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- H. Mathis, "On the Kurtosis of Digitally Modulated Signals with Timing Offsets," 3rd IEEE Signal Process. Workshop Signal Process. Adv. Wireless Commun., Taoyuan, Taiwan, Mar. 2001, pp. 86-89.