- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Novel Trellis-Coded Spatial Modulation over Generalized Rician Fading Channels
- Zhang, Peng (School of Information Science and Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Yuan, Dongfeng (School of Information Science and Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Zhang, Haixia (School of Information Science and Engineering, Shandong University)
- Received : 2012.05.09
- Accepted : 2012.08.07
- Published : 2012.12.31
In this paper, a novel trellis-coded spatial modulation (TCSM) design method is presented and analyzed. Inspired by the key idea of trellis-coded modulation (TCM), the detailed analysis is firstly provided on the unequal error protection performance of spatial modulation constellation. Subsequently, the Ungerboeck set partitioning rule is proposed and applied to develop a general method to design the novel TCSM schemes. Different from the conventional TCSM approaches, the novel one based on the Ungerboeck set partitioning rule has similar properties as the classic TCM, which has simple but effective code design criteria. Moreover, the novel designed schemes are robust and adaptive to the generalized Rician fading channels, which outperform the traditional TCSM ones. For examples, the novel 4-, 8-, and 16-state TCSM schemes are constructed by employing different transmit antennas and different modulation schemes in different channel conditions. Simulation results clearly demonstrate the advantages of the novel TCSM schemes over the conventional ones.
- R. Mesleh et al., "Spatial Modulation: A New Low Complexity Spectral Efficiency Enhancing Technique," Proc. ChinaCom, Beijing, China, Oct. 2006, pp. 1-5.
- R. Mesleh et al., "Spatial Modulation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 57, no. 4, July 2008, pp. 2228-2241. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.912136
- M. Di Renzo, H. Haas, and P.M. Grant, "Spatial Modulation for Multiple Antenna Wireless Systems: A Survey," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 49, no. 12, Dec. 2011, pp. 182-191.
- J. Jeganathan et al., "Space Shift Keying Modulation for MIMO Channels," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 8, no. 7, July 2009, pp. 3692-3703.
- P. Wolniansky et al., "V-BLAST: An Architecture for Realizing Very High Data Rates over the Rich-Scattering Wireless Channel," Proc. URSI Int. Symp. Signals, Syst., Electron., Sept. 1998, pp. 295-300.
- V. Tarokh, H. Jafarkhani, and A.R. Calderbank, "Space-Time Block Codes from Orthogonal Designs," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 45, no. 5, July 1999, pp.1456-1467. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.771146
- J. Jeganathan, A. Ghrayeb, and L. Szczecinski, "Spatial Modulation: Optimal Detection and Performance Analysis," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 12, no. 8, Aug. 2008, pp. 545-547. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2008.080739
- E. Basar et al., "Space-Time Block Coded Spatial Modulation," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 59, no. 3, Mar. 2011, pp. 823-832. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2011.121410.100149
- M. Di Renzo and H. Haas, "Bit Error Probability of SM-MIMO over Generalized Fading Channels," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 61, no. 3, Mar. 2012, pp. 1124-1144. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2186158
- R. Mesleh et al., "On the Performance of Trellis Coded Spatial Modulation," Proc. Int. ITG Workshop Smart Antennas, Feb. 2009, pp. 235-241.
- R. Mesleh et al., "Trellis Coded Spatial Modulation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 9, no. 7, July 2010, pp. 2349-2361. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2010.07.091526
- E. Basar et al., "New Trellis Code Design for Spatial Modulation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 10, no. 8, Aug. 2011, pp. 2670-2680. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2011.061511.101745
- T.L. Marzetta, "Noncooperative Cellular Wireless with Unlimited Numbers of Base Station Antennas," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 9, no. 11, Nov. 2010, pp. 3590-3600. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2010.092810.091092
- G. Wright, "GreenTouch Initiative: Large Scale Antenna Systems," Proc. Spring Meeting, Seoul, Rep. of Korea, Feb. 2011.
- G.Y. Li et al., "Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications: Tutorial, Survey, and Open Issues," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 18, no. 6, Dec. 2011, pp. 28-35.
- G. Ungerboeck, "Channel Coding with Multilevel/Phase Signals," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 28, no. 1, Jan. 1982, pp. 55-67. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1982.1056454
- S. Lin and D. Costello, Error Control Coding Fundamentals and Applications, 2nd ed., Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc.,2004.
- D.-S. Shiu et al., "Fading Correlation and Its Effect on the Capacity of Multi-element Antenna Systems," IEEE Trans. Comm., vol. 48, no. 3, Mar. 2000, pp. 502-513. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.837052
- A. Forenza, D.J. Love, and R.W. Heath, Jr., "Simplified Spatial Correlation Models for Clustered MIMO Channels with Different Array Configurations," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 56, no. 4, July 2007, pp. 1924-1934. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.897212
- S.L. Loyka, "Channel Capacity of MIMO Architecture Using the Exponential Correlation Matrix," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 5, Sept. 2001, pp. 369-371. https://doi.org/10.1109/4234.951380
- J.G. Proakis, Digital Communications, 4th ed. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, Dec. 2000.
- M.K. Simon and M.S. Alouini, Digital Communication over Fading Channels, 1st ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2000.
- D.J. Love et al., "An Overview of Limited Feedback in Wireless Communication Systems," IEEE J-SAC, vol. 26, no. 8, Oct. 2008, pp. 1341-1365.