- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Genetic-Algorithm-Based Optimized Clustering for Energy-Efficient Routing in MWSN
- Sara, Getsy S. (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Engineering, Anna University) ;
- Devi, S. Prasanna (Department of Computer Science, Apollo College of Engineering) ;
- Sridharan, D. (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Engineering, Anna University)
- Received : 2012.04.30
- Accepted : 2012.08.27
- Published : 2012.12.31
With the increasing demands for mobile wireless sensor networks in recent years, designing an energy-efficient clustering and routing protocol has become very important. This paper provides an analytical model to evaluate the power consumption of a mobile sensor node. Based on this, a clustering algorithm is designed to optimize the energy efficiency during cluster head formation. A genetic algorithm technique is employed to find the near-optimal threshold for residual energy below which a node has to give up its role of being the cluster head. This clustering algorithm along with a hybrid routing concept is applied as the near-optimal energy-efficient routing technique to increase the overall efficiency of the network. Compared to the mobile low energy adaptive clustering hierarchy protocol, the simulation studies reveal that the energy-efficient routing technique produces a longer network lifetime and achieves better energy efficiency.
- S. Deng, J. Li, and L. Shen, "Mobility-Based Clustering Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks with Mobile Nodes," IET Wireless Sensor Syst., vol. 1, no. 1, 2011, pp. 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-wss.2010.0084
- A. Nayebi and H. Sarbazi-Azad, "Performance Modeling of the LEACH Protocol for Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks," J. Parallel Distr. Comput., vol. 71, no. 6, 2011, pp. 812-821. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpdc.2011.02.004
- A. Roy and S.K. Das, "QM2RP: A QOS-Based Mobile Multicast Routing Protocol Using Multi-objective Genetic Algorithm," Wireless Netw. vol. 10, 2004, pp. 271-286. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:WINE.0000023861.10684.f1
- C.E. Perkins., Ad Hoc Networking, Addison-Wesley Professional, 2008, pp. 225-226.
- M. Buttner et al., "X-MAC: A Short Preamble MAC Protocol for Duty-Cycled Wireless Sensor Networks," Technical Report CU-CS-1008-06, May 2006, pp: 1-11.
- J. Polastre, J. Hill, and D. Culler, "Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks," SenSys, ACM, Nov. 2004, pp. 95-100.
- F. Liu, C.-Y. Tsui, and Y.J. (Angela) Zhang, "Joint Routing and Sleep Scheduling for Lifetime Maximization of Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 9, no. 7, July 2010, pp. 2256-2267.
- C. Cano et al., "Analytical Model of the LPL with Wake Up After Transmissions MAC Protocol for MWSN," Proc. ISWCS, 2009, pp. 146-150.
- C. Bettstetter, H. Hartenstein, and X. Perez-Costa, "Stochastic Properties of the Random Waypoint Mobility Model," Wireless Netw.: Special Issue Modeling Anal. Mobile Netw., vol. 10, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004, pp. 555-567.
- E. Hyytia and J. Virtamo, "Random Waypoint Mobility Model in Cellular Networks," Springer Wireless Netw., vol. 13, 2007, pp. 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-006-4600-3
- B.A. Attea and E.A. Khalil, "A New Evolutionary Based Routing Protocol for Clustered Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks," Appl. Soft Comput., doi:10,1016/j.soc.2011.04.007.
- K. Deb, "Optimization for Engineering Design: Algorithms and Examples," New Delhi: Prentice-Hall of India Private Limited, 2005, pp. 290-319.
- MATLAB: www.mathworks.com/products/matlab
- M.K. Marina and S. Das, "On-Demand Multipath Distance Vector Routing in Ad Hoc Networks," Proc. Int. Conf. Netw. Protocols, 2001.
- G.S. Sara et al., "Energy Efficient Clustering and Routing in Mobile Wireless Sensor Network Routing Protocol," Int. J. Wireless Mobile Netw. (IJWMN), vol. 2, no.4, Nov. 2010, pp: 106-114. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijwmn.2010.2409
- C.E. Perkins and E.M. Royer, "Ad Hoc On Demand Distance Vector Routing," Mobile Comput. Syst. Appl. (WMCSA), 1999, pp. 90-100.
- OMNET++ Simulator: http://www.omnetpp.org
- IRIS motes: http://www.memsic.com/products/wireless-sensor-networks/wireless-modules.html
- G. Anastasi et al., "Energy Conservation in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey," Ad Hoc Netw. vol. 7, 2009, pp. 537-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2008.06.003
- S.A. Munir et al., "Mobile Wireless Sensor Network: Architecture and Enabling Technologies for Ubiquitous Computing," Proc. 21st Int. Conf. Adv. Inf. Netw. Appl. Workshop (AINAW), 2007.
- X. Min et al., "Energy Efficient Clustering Algorithm for Maximizing Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), vol. 64, no. 4, 2010, pp. 289-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2009.01.004