- Volume 7 Issue 1
As the growing popularity of smartphones, mobile web browsing has become one of the most important and popular applications in mobile devices. Furthermore, it is clear that the demand for PC-like full browser performance on mobile devices is increasing greatly. WebKit is an open source web browser engine adopted by Google Android. This paper proposed a technique of increasing the performance of WebKit by paralleling its libraries. This method was applied to JPEG library and the performance evaluation was conducted in PC environment. The results was used to estimate the performance prediction on multi-core mobile embedded architecture and to show the feasibility of the proposed method to estimate the performance gain on heterogeneous multi-core embedded architecture.
Supported by : 남서울대학교
- http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20051610-17 .html.
- L. A. Meyerovich and R. Bodik, "Fast and parallel webpage layout," Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World wide web, pp. 711-720, 2010.
- C. G. Kim, D. H. Lee, and J. Kim, "Optimizing Image Processing on Multi-core CPUs with Intel Parallel Programming Technologies," Multimedia Tools and Applications, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-011-0906-y, Nov. 2011.
- Leo Meyerovich, "Rethinking Browser Performance, USENIX, login, vol 34, no. 4, pp. 14-20, Aug. 2009.
- C. G. Jones, R. Liu, L. Meyerovich, K. Asanovic, and R. Bodik, "Parallelizing the Web Browser," HotPar'09 Proceedings of the First USENIX conference on Hot topics in parallelism, pp.7-7 2009.
- C. Lemuet, J. Sampson, J. Francois, and N. Jouppi, "The potential energy efficiency of vector acceleration," Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing, pp. 0-1, 2006.
- C. G. Kim and Y. S. Choi, "A High Performance Parallel DCT with OpenCL on Heterogeneous Computing Environment," Multimedia Tools and Applications, DOI 10.1007/s11042-012-1028-x . Feb. 2012.
- J. G. Hong, J. S. Wook, C. G. Kim, and B. Burgstaller "Accelerating 2D DCT in Multi-core and Many-core Environments," In Proc. Of the 35th Conference of Korea Information Processing Society, May 2011.
- J. Leskela, J. Nikula, and M. Salmela, "OpenCL embedded profile prototype in mobile device," IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems, 2009. SiPS 2009. pp. 279-284, Oct. 2009.