- Volume 39 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
M&S Verification, Validation and Accreditation Research Direction Considering the Characteristics of Defense M&S
국방 M&S의 특징 분석과 이를 통한 VV&A 방향
- Kim, Junghoon (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering) ;
- Jeong, Seungmin (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering) ;
- Hwang, Illhoe (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering) ;
- Cho, Hyunju (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering) ;
- Kim, Daeyoung (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering) ;
- Jang, Young Jae (KAIST Industrial and Systems Engineering)
- 김정훈 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과) ;
- 정승민 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과) ;
- 황일회 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과) ;
- 조현주 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과) ;
- 김대영 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과) ;
- 장영재 (한국과학기술원(KAIST) 산업 및 시스템 공학과)
- Received : 2013.07.13
- Accepted : 2013.11.15
- Published : 2013.12.15
In this paper, we first present an in-depth survey of the research on Verification, Validation and Accreditation (VV&A) applied in various areas. Then we introduce the characteristics of the military and defense Modeling and Simulation (M&S) and propose the direction of method for VV&A with the identified characteristics. The M&S has been widely used in many different applications in the military and defense area including training, analysis, and acquisition. Methods and processes of VV&A have been proposed by researchers and M&S practitioners to guarantee the correctness of the M&S. The idea of applying the formal credibility assessment in VV&A is originated from the Software Engineering Reliability Test and Systems Engineering Development Process. However, the current VV&A techniques and processes proposed in the research community have not utilized the military-and-defense specific characteristics. We identify the characteristics and issues that can be found in the military and defense M&S. Then propose the direction of techniques and methods for VV&A considering the characteristics and issues. Also, possible research direction on the development of VV&A is proposed.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소
- Adrion, W. R., Branstad, M. A., and Cherniavsky, J. C. (1982), Validation, Verification, and Testing of Computer Software, ACM Computing Surveys(CSUR), 14(2), 159-192. https://doi.org/10.1145/356876.356879
- Air University (2000), Introduction to War-game, Air University.
- Balci, O. (1994), Validation, Verification, and Testing Techniques Throughout the Life Cycle of a Simulation Study, Annals of operations research, 53(1), 121-173. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02136828
- Braddock, J. V. and Thurman, M. R. (1993), Impact of Advanced Distributed Simulation on Readiness, Training and Prototyping, Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Simulation, Readiness and Prototyping, Washington, D. C. : Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition.
- BMDO Directive 5002 (1994), Test and Evaluation Verification, Validation, and Accreditation (VV&A) Policy for the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization.
- Choi, Y. J. (2012), The Study of Process for VV&A on Acquiring the Credibility of M&S, Journal of the Korea Society of Systems Engineering, 5(2).
- Department of Defense (DoD) Modeling and Simulation Coordination Office (M&SCO) (2001), A Practitioner's Perspective on Simulation Validation.
- Eliasson, F. (2002), A Risk Perspective on Verification and Validation Efforts in Simulation Models.
- Goerger, S. R., McGinnis, M. L., and Darken, R. P. (2005). A validation methodology for human behavior representation models. The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation : Applications, Methodology, Technology, 2(1), 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/154851290500200105
- Hong, J. H., Seo, K. M., Seok, M. G., and Kim, T. G. (2011), Interoperation between Engagement and Engineering-Level Models for Effectiveness Analyses, The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation : Applications, Methodology, Technology.
- IEEE (1998), IEEE Standard for Software Verification and Validation 1012-1998.
- Jang, Y. J., Kim, J. H., Jo, H. J., Hwang, I. H., and Kim, D. Y. (2012), Research Direction Proposal on VV&A of the Defense M&S and the Categorization of VV&A Method Based on Modeling Abstraction, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 2.
- Kim, D.-H., Shin, J.-H., and Kim, C.-K. (2007), On the Development of the Authoritative Representations of Submarine for Engagement Level Simulation, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 16(4), 1-12.
- Kim, G. S., Lee, J. M., Bae, Y. M., Lee, Y. H., and Pyun, J. J. (2010), The VV&A Process Design for CMMS in Consideration of Korean Mission Space Characteristics, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 19(4), 189-198.
- Kim, H. H., Lee, C. H., and Cho, N. H. (2009), A Study on Application and Promotion of DM&S VV&A (Focused on M&S for Test and Evaluation), Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 18(4), 157-164.
- Kim, T. G. (2007), Modeling Simulation Engineering, Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society, 25(11), 5-15.
- NASA (2008), NASA-STD-7009 (Standard for Models and Simulations).
- National Computerization Agency (1990), Verification, Validation and Test Guideline for Software (Agenda).
- Pace, D. K., (2001), Simulation Conceptual Model Role in Determining Compatibility of Candidate Simulations for a HLA Federation, The Simulation Interoperability Workshop.
- Pace, D. K. (2004), Modeling and Simulation Verification and Validation Challenges, Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest, 25(2), 163-72.
- Paik, H. Y. (2011), Guardian of Sky, The Latest Middle Range Surfaceto-Air Missile 'Cheon-Goong.'
- Park, J. (2011), The Study on the Method of Validation for Defense M&S Confidence.
- Piplani, L. K. (1994), Systems Acquisition Manager's Guide for the use of MODELS AND SIMULATIONS, DEFENSE SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT COLL FORT BELVOIR VA.
- Sargent, R. G., (2005), Verification and Validation of Simulation Models, Proc. 37th Conf. on Winter Simulation.
- Shin, J.-H. (2007), On the Development of Authoritative Representations of Torpedo Systems for Engagement Level Simulation, Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 16(3), 19-28.
- Sung, C. and Kim, T. G. (2012), Collaborative Modeling Process for Development of Domain-Specific Discrete Event Simulation Systems, Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C : Applications and Reviews, IEEE Transactions on, 42(4), 532-546. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCC.2011.2135850
- Tolk, A. (2012), Engineering Principles of Combat Modeling and Distributed Simulation, Wiley.
- United States Department of Defense (2009), Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Verification, Validation, and Accreditation (VV&A).
- Study of Acquiring the Credibility for Weapon System M&S with V&V Process vol.24, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9709/JKSS.2015.24.3.001
- Study of Development for Distributed Battlefield Simulation Environment : One-to-One Single Unit Engagement Model vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9709/JKSS.2015.24.4.069