- Volume 39 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Maintenance Organization over Maintenance Performance Index : Based on Paper Industry
보전조직이 보전성과지표에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구 : 제지산업을 중심으로
- Ku, Sung Tae (Dept. of Industrial and Management Engineering, Myoung Ji University) ;
- Kim, Chang Eun (Dept. of Industrial and Management Engineering, Myoung Ji University)
- Received : 2013.02.03
- Accepted : 2013.10.14
- Published : 2013.12.15
This study is intended to propose optimal maintenance organization to process industry, especially paper industry by analyzing maintenance organization of paper industry and finding out how the maintenance organization and the allocation of maintenance resources influence maintenance performance indices here in this paper. In this study, we analyzed the maintenance organization in detail and studied correlation between maintenance organization and equipment failure rate for the major top six domestic paper-mills in market share. According to the study, the maintenance organization has been changed in accordance with its business environment, but its performance was different by both the allocation way of maintenance resources and the structure of maintenance organization. For paper industry, whose availability is the most important key index that determines the success or failure of a business, it turns out to be the most effective strategy that operates the combination maintenance combined central maintenance with area maintenance and allocates the maintenance resources mainly for preventive maintenance. In particular, it turned out to be that there is the strong positive correlation between the rate of shift workers and the equipment failure rate. The results of this study is not limited to paper industry, but expandable to other industry. So it is expected that the direction of the maintenance organization would be given to the company which is struggling to improve its availability.
- A Company (2012), Maintenance Rationalizing Reports, Electronic Document.
- Hahm, H.-J. (1997), A study on the Change of maintenance Organization and TPM System in Korea Manufacturing Industry, Journal of the Korean Institute of Plant Engineering, 2(2), 148-149.
- International Electrotechnical Commission, International electrotechnical vocabulary, IEV 191-07-01, available at : http://std.iec.ch/iev/iev.nsf (accessed January 19, 2013).
- Jeong, H.-M. (2009), A Case Study of Total Productive Maintenance in paper industry, Dept. of Industrial Engineering Graduate School of Engineering Technology, University of Ulsan, Korea.
- Kelly, A. (1997), Maintenance organization and systems, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- Kelly, A. (1997), Maintenance Strategy : Business-Centered Maintenance, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- Kelly, A. (2006), Strategic Maintenance Planning, Elsevier, Oxford.
- Khazraei, K. and Deuse, J. (2011), A strategic standpoint on maintenance taxonomy, Journal of Facilities Management, 9(2), 96-11. https://doi.org/10.1108/14725961111128452
- KMAC (1996), The Encyclopedia of TPM and Plant Engineering, KMAC, Seoul, Korea.
- KMAC (1998), Plant Engineering Survey Report, Electronic Document.
- Korea Management Innovation Consulting, http://www.6sigmaqa.com/board/view.php?id = 6sigma_03&no = 18. (accessed November 19, 2012).
- Korea Paper Manufacturing Association, http://www.paper.or.kr/n_indu/indu_02.asp, (accessed October 30, 2012).
- Korea Trade Commission (2005), Paper Industry Competitiveness Survey on Survey Research, 48-49.
- Levitt, J. (2009), The Handbook of Maintenance Management second edition, Industrial Press Inc, New York.
- Minitab Package (2010), Minitabz(R) 16.1.1, Language Pack-Korean: 188.8.131.52 Licensing : 184.108.40.206 , Core : 220.127.116.11.
- Nakajima, S. (1989), TPM development program, productivity press, Portland, Oregon.
- Nakano, K. (1999), How to proceed with planned maintenance, JIPM, Tokyo, Japan.
- Nyman, D. and Levitt, J. (2010), Maintenance Planning, Coordination and Scheduling, Industrial Press Inc. New York.
- Parida, A. and Kumar, U. (2006), Maintenance performance measurement (MPM) : issues and challenges, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 12(3), 239-251. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552510610685084
- Peng, K. (2012), Equipment Management in the Post-Maintenance Era, CRC Press, London.
- Performance reporting on six companies (2011, Private report), Electronic Document.
- Salonen, A. and Bengtsson, M. (2011), The potential in strategic maintenance development, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 17(4) 337-350. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552511111180168
- Sharma, A., Yadava, G. S., and Deshmukh, S. G. (2011), A literature review and future perspectives on maintenance optimization, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 17(1), 5-25. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552511111116222
- Shiomi, H. (1996), Reliability, maintainability, and the mindset of how to proceed, Technology pyeongronsa, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wikipedia, http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%83%81%EA%B4%80%EB%B6%84%EC%84%9D#.D.94.BC.EC.96.B4.EC.8A.A8_.EC.83.81.EA.B4.80.EA.B3.84.EC.88.98_.28Pearson_correlation_coefficient.29, (accessed November 19, 2012).
- Wireman, T. (1990), World Class Maintenance Management, Industrial Press Inc. New York.
- Wireman, T. (2004), Benchmarking Best Practices in Maintenance Management, Industrial Press Inc. New York.