- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Stress Level and HPA axis Activity of Internet Game Addiction vs. Non-addiction in Adolescents
인터넷게임중독 청소년과 비중독 청소년의 스트레스 수준과 HPA axis 활성도 비교
- Kim, Eun Hwa (Department of Nursing, Graduate School, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Na Hyun (College of Nursing and Research Institute for Nursing Science, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2013.07.31
- Accepted : 2013.11.11
- Published : 2013.11.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to compare the stress level and HPA axis activity of an internet game addiction group and non-addiction group in adolescents. Methods: A cross-sectional comparative study was performed with 140 male high school students from 9 vocational high schools at W city. Data were collected from July to September, 2012, using a questionnaire for measuring internet game addiction and stress level, blood samples for serum ACTH, and cortisol level for HPA axis activity. Data were analyzed using descriptive analysis,
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- An, K. J., Jeong, J. S., Kim, Y. K., & Jeong, H. S. (2008). Physiological markers in anxiety and depression. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 10(2), 184-193.
- Bonaguro, J. A., & Bonaguro, E. W. (2009). Self concept, stress symptomatology, and tobacco use. Journal of School Health, 57, 56-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ j.1746-1561. 1987. tb02299.x
- Chang, G. Y., & Kim, K. H. (2009). The lifetime of Korean youth and their lifestyle. Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, 6(4), 139-155.
- Carnagey, N. L., & Anderson, C. A. (2004). Violent video game exposure and aggression: A literature review. Minerva Psichiatrica, 45(1), 1-8.
- de Kloet, E. R., Joels, M., & Holsboer, F. (2005). Stress and the brain: From adaptation to disease. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 6, 463-475. http://dx.doi.org/10. 1038/nrn1683 https://doi.org/10.1038/nrn1683
- Guyton, A. C., & Hall, J. E. (2011). Textbook of Medical Physiology (12th ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Hanam Community Mental Health Center & Kyung Hee University School of Medicine. (1999). A study of adolescent' mental health in Hanam community. Hanam: Author.
- Hebert, S., Beland, R., Dionne-Fournelle, O., Crete, M., & Lupien, S. J. (2005). Physiological stress response to video-game playing: The contribution of built-in music. Life Sciences, 76, 2371-2380. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.11.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.11.011
- Ivarsson, M., Anderson, M., Akerstedt, T., & Lindblad, F. (2009). Playing a violent television game affects heart rate variability. Acta Paediatrica, 98(1), 166-172. 10.1111/j.1651- 2227.2009.01271.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2008.01096.x
- Joo, A. R., & Park, I. H. (2005). The difference of levels of internet computer game addiction, stress and empowerment in sociodemographic characteristics of middle school students. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 7(2), 37-57. 10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.255
- Kim, B. Y., & Suh, K. H. (2012). Mobile phone and internet game addiction, and stress responses of high school students: The mediating effect of sleep deprivation. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 17(2), 385-398. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.007
- Ko, C. H., Liu, G. C., Hsiao, S., Yen, J. Y., Yang, M. J., Lin, W. C., et al. (2009). Brain activities associated with gaming urge of online gaming addiction. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 43, 739-747. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2008. 09.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2008.09.012
- Koob, G. F., & Le Moal, M. (2001). Drug addiction, dysregulation of reward, and allostasis. Neuropsychopharmacology, 24, 97-129. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S08 93-133X(00)00195-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0893-133X(00)00195-0
- Korean Creative Content Agency (KOCCA). (2010). CSG (Comprehensive Scale for Assessing Game Behavior) Manual. Seoul: Author.
- Korea Agency for Digital Opportunity and Promotion (KADO). (2006). A study of the development of internet game addiction scale for children and adolescents. Seoul: Author.
- Korea Internet & Security Agency. (2012). A survey of 2011 internet use. Seoul: Author.
- Lam, L. T., peng, Z. W., Mai, J. C., & Jing, J. (2009). Factors associated with internet addiction among adolescents. Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 12(5), 551-555. 10. 1089/cpb.2009.0036 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0036
- Lee, H. C., & Ahn, C. Y. (2002). A study on the development and effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral therapy for internet game addiction. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 7(3), 463-486. https://doi.org/10.1348/135910702320645426
- Lin, H. P., Lin, H. Y., Lin, W. L., & Huang, A. C. (2011). Effects of stress, depression, and interaction on heart rate, skin conductance, finger temperature, and respiratory rate: Sympathetic-parasympathetic hypothesis of stress and depression. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 67(10), 1080-1091. 10.1002/jclp.20833 https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20833
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2009). Social costs according to harmful factor of media environment in Child and Youth. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare.
- National Information Society Agency. (2012). A survey of 2011 internet addiction. Seoul: Author.
- Schluger, J. H., Borg, L., Ho, A., & Kreek, M. J. (2001). Altered HPA axis responsivity to metyrapone testing in methadone maintained former heroin addicts with ongoing cocaine addiction. Neuropsychopharmacology, 24, 568-575. http://dx. doi.org/10.1016/S0893-133X(00)00222-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0893-133X(00)00222-0
- Schwabe, L., Dickinson, A., & Wolf, O. T. (2011). Stress, habits, and drug addiction: A psychoneuroendocrinological perspective. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 19, 53-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0022212 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022212
- Sinha, R. (2008). Chronic stress, drug use, and vulnerability to addiction. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1141, 105-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1196/annals.1441.030 https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1441.030
- Son, M. E., & Kim, N. H. (2012). The Relationship between Cyber Leisure Activity and Autonomic Function in High School Students. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 14, 33-40. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.1.33
- Suh, K. H., & Park, J. Y. (2012). Relationship between the use of music, addiction to internet game, and stress responses among male adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Research, 19(7), 101-107.
- Weinstein, A., & Lejoyeux, M. (2010). Internet addiction or excessive internet use. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 36, 277-283. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3109/ 00952990.2010.491880 https://doi.org/10.3109/00952990.2010.491880
- Yoo, H. J., Cho, S. C., Ha, J., Yune, S. K., Kim, S. J., Hwang, J., et al. (2004). Attention deficit hyperactivity symptoms and internet addiction. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 58(5), 487-494. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1819.2004.01290.x
- Young, K. S. (1996). Psychology of computer use: XL; Addictive use of the Internet: A case that breaks the stereotype. Psychological Reports, 79, 899-902. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.529
- Young, K. S. (1998). Internet addiction: the emergence of a new clinical disorder. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 1(3), 237-244. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237
- Review of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as an Intervention Program for Internet Addicts: A Theoretical Framework and Implications with Physiological Perspectives vol.17, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.3.219