- Volume 15 Issue 4
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze the characteristics and preferences related to a smoking cessation program among college students to help college students quit smoking. Methods: This study used a cross-sectional survey to analyze collected data from 324 college students who had a positive reaction to a urine nicotine test. Collected data were analyzed with descriptive statistics using SPSS 20.0. Results: The smoking amount per day of the participants was 4.1 pieces, and the average smoking period was 5.2 years. The mean of the CO level in exhaled air of the participants was 8.95 ppm. Their urge to smoke increased after a meal or while drinking alcohol. Most students wanted to quit smoking. Half of them were in a preparation phase to quit. Students wanted their willingness and determination to be reinforced (48%), and wanted to learn about specific smoking cessation methods (33%) through a smoking cessation program. Most of the students (60%) wanted an online program to help them quit smoking. Conclusion: To help students quit smoking, a online program that strengthens their determination to quit, and which contains specific methods to help them is needed.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41, 1149-1160. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Gold, D. R., Wang, X., Wypij, D., Speizer, F. E., Ware, J. H., & Dockery, D. W. (1996). Effects of cigarette smoking on lung function in adolescent boys and girls. New England Journal of Medicine, 335, 931-937. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199609263351304 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199609263351304
- Ha, J. Y. (2013). The oral clearance and carbon monoxide gas level. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Cheonan.
- Im, B. G., Kim, S. W., Kang, J. H., & Yang, Y. J. (2001). Smoking status and expired carbon monoxide concentration. Journal of Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 22(5), 674-682.
- Kim, J., & Park, H. (2011). Comparison of serum lipids in college students and pre-graduates. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13, 117-124.
- Kim, M. K. (2012). The inuence of smoking cessation stage on eectiveness of anti-smoking PSAs. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health. (2008). Smoking and Statistics. http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new/pds_view.asp
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health. (2012). Laws. http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new/pds_view.asp
- Korean Statistical Information Service. (2011). National health and nutritional survey; Health related behavior; Smoking. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01
- Kramish Campbell, M., Meier, A., Carr, C., Enga, Z., James, A. S., Reedy, J., et al. (2001). Health behavior changes after colon cancer: a comparison of finding from face-to-face and on-line focus groups. Family and Community Health, 24, 88-103. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003727-200110000-00010
- Lee, E. S. (2003). A comparative study on the eect of education between CAI (Computer Assisted Instruction) and lecture focused on vocational high school male students. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Levy, D. T., Graham, A. L., Mabry, P. L., Abrams, D. B., & Orleans, C. T. (2010). Modeling the impact of smoking-cessation treatment policies on quit rates. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 38(3 Suppl), S364-S372. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.11.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.11.016
- Lichtenstein, E., Weiss, S. M., Hitchcock, J. L., Leveton, L. B., O'Connell, K. A., & Prochaska, J. O. (1986). Pattern of smoking relapse. Health Psychology, 5(suppl 1), 29-40. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6133.5.Suppl.29
- McKenna, F. P., Warburton, D. M., & Winwood, M. (1993). Exploring the limits of optimism: the case of smokers' decision making. British Journal of Psychology, 84, 389-394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1993.tb02490.x
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2010). Survey on smoking behaviors, 2010.http://www.bokjiro.go.kr/data/statusView.do?board_sid=297&data_sid=5236125
- Brownell, K. D., Marlatt, G. A., Lichtenstein, E., & Wilson, G. T. (1986). Understanding and preventing relapse. American Psychologist, 41, 765-782. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.41.7.765
- Businelle, M. S., Lam, C. Y., Kendzor, D. E., Cofta-Woerpel, L., McClure, J. B., Cinciripini, P. M., et al. (2013). Alcohol consumption and urges to smoke among women during a smoking cessation attempt. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 21, 29-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0031009 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031009
- Chapman, S., Wong, W. L., & Smith, W. (1993). Self-exempting beliefs about smoking and health: differences between smokers and ex-smokers. American Journal of Public Health, 83, 215-219. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.83.2.215
- Choe, E. Y., & Jeong, S. H. (2012). The effect of self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program on the amount of smoking, CO, urine cotinine level and self-efficacy for adolescent smokers. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 14, 103-111. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- Choi, G. Y., & Lee, K. H. (2007). The state of college freshmen's smoking and the application of cessation prgrams. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 18, 301-309.
- Cobb, N. K., Graham, A. L., Bock, B. C., Papandonatos, G., & Abrams, D. B. (2005). Initial evaluation of a real-world Internet smoking cessation system. Nicoine & Tobaaco Research, 7, 207-216. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200500055319
- Curry, S. J., & McBride, C. (1994). Relapse prevention for smoking cessation: Review and evaluation of concepts and intervention. Annual Review of Public Health, 15, 345-366. http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.15.050194.002021 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.15.050194.002021
- Debernardo, R. L., Aldinger, C. E., Dawood, O. R., Hanson, R. E., Lee, S., & Rinaldi, S. R. (1999). An e-mail assessment of undergraduate's attitudes toward smoking. Journal of American College Health, 48, 61-66. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448489909595675
- DiClements, C. C., Prochaska, J. O., Fairhurst, S. K., Velicer, W. F., Velasquez, M. M., & Rossi, J. S. (1991). The process of smoking cessation: an analysis of precontemplation, contemplation, and preparation stages of change. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 295-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295
- Dijkstra, A. (2005). Working mechanisms of computer-tailored health education: evidence from smoking cessation. Health Education Research, 20, 527-539. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyh014
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2012). Enforcement rules of acts of Health promotion laws. http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb0401ls.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030401
- Nides, M. A., Rakos, R. F., Gonzales, D., Murray, R. P., Tashkin, D. P., Bjornson-Benson, W. M., et al. (1995). Predictors of initial smoking cessation and relapse through the first 2 years of the Lung Health Study. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 63, 60-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.63.1.60 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.63.1.60
- Richardson, A., Graham, A. L., Cobb, N., Xiao, H., Mushro, A., Abrams, D., et al. (2013). Engagement promotes abstinence in a Web-based cessation intervention: Cohort study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15, e14. http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2277 https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2277
- Smit, E. S., Evers, S. M., Vries, H., & Hoving, C. (2013). Cost-effectiveness and cost-utility of internet-based computer tailoring for smoking cessation. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15, e57. http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2059 https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2059
- World Health Organization. (2012). 2012 Global progress report; WHO framework convention on Tobacco Control. http://www.who.int/fctc/reporting/summary_analysis/en/index.html
- 1. Influence of Stress, Self-efficacy for Smoking Cessation, Smoking Temptation and Nicotine Dependency in Male College Students who Smoke vol.18, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184
- 2. Association of Cigarette Prices with the Prevalence of Smoking in Korean University Students: Analysis of Effects of the Tobacco Control Policy vol.16, pp.13, 2015, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184
- 3. Self-efficacy and Preparation of Smoking Cessation in Service and Sales Woman Smokers Working in Department Stores vol.25, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184
- 4. Influence of Knowledge about Lung Cancer, Attitude and Preventive Health Behavior about Cancer on Nicotine Dependency in Smoking Male College Students vol.18, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184
- 5. The Effects of Auricular Acupressure on Smoking Cessation for Male College Students vol.39, pp.3, 2017, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.184